Iowa fans need to start being realistic.

I just want to address the Hawkeye faithful that are once again ready fire Kirk Ferentz as they are every year until we get to 9 wins and then they are reminded that’s what we are. Iowa in both football and basketball is developmental program that is in that second to higher third tier every year. Then every 5th year or so we have a breakout season and get to 11 or 12 wins. Outside of that we are a 8 and 9 win team nearly every season. No matter who coaches at Iowa that is where they will be. We are not Bama, Clemson or Ohio St. We reserve the right to be critical, but also need to be careful what we wish for. Florida St is a blue blood program who is seriously considering hiring Neon Dion Sanders (who has zero coaching experience) to be their new head coach after 2 back to back losing seasons. Notre Dame (another blue blood) has 1 top 5 win since 2000. Michigan, well they have had 4 coaches since Ferentz was hired and they have the same number of big ten championships as we do in that time frame. Iowa fired Mr. Davis Davis after 13 seasons in which he won 13 NCAA tourney games. Seemed like a great move at the time right? Well in the 20 years since, Iowa has won 4.... yep that’s right we have won 4 NCAA tourney games in 20 years! Iowa is not a power house and they never will be. We may not be great, but we are consistently good which is more than what can be said for a lot of teams in states with much higher populations and multicultural metro areas.

100% agree on your points about football although I don’t know where you are getting these 11 win years every 5-6 years. I don’t remember them, except 2015.

However basketball is different. Basketball isn’t developmental. You only 2-3 good players to make a run. How else do you explain right now that st Mary’s is a top 25 team, and Iowa is getting blown out by DePaul. Basically you need a coach who can actually recruit and coach basic x and o’s and build some chemistry. There isn’t 2-3 year development programs in college basketball.

100% agree on your points about football although I don’t know where you are getting these 11 win years every 5-6 years. I don’t remember them, except 2015.

However basketball is different. Basketball isn’t developmental. You only 2-3 good players to make a run. How else do you explain right now that st Mary’s is a top 25 team, and Iowa is getting blown out by DePaul. Basically you need a coach who can actually recruit and coach basic x and o’s and build some chemistry. There isn’t 2-3 year development programs in college basketball.
Iowa got to 11 wins in 2002, 2009 and 2015. You are right about basketball. Have to be able to recruit at a high level and if not you need to be able to make those 3 star guys a hell of a lot better year to year if we want to compete and be in that top 4-5 tier in the big ten on a consistent basis or any basis for that matter. We tend to lose every good player out of the state of Iowa to traditionally great basketball programs with the exception of wieskamp and now foster. To be honest I can’t blame Foster for going with the clones. The environment for basketball is much better there than in Carver and they are sending mor guys to the NBA. The most recent Iowa guy we had on an active roster was Roy Marble Jr.

"Realistic" Iowa fans understand that the Hawkeyes will never consistently be at the same level as LSU, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. They just have too many built in advantages (national brand, local fertile recruiting area, etc.).

However, it is realistic to expect to have an interior offensive line that isn't acting like they are seeing blitzes for the fist time ever. It's realistic to expect the offensive coaches (Ferentz x 2) to stop running off tackle runs right into a pile of defenders. It's realistic to expect the offense to move into the 21st century and start stretching the defenses horizontally and vertically with the passing game, and not just at the end of the game when it's too late.

For the second year in a row, Iowa will finish 3rd/4th in the division and watch a team that has less talent then they do go to Indianapolis ( NW in 2018, Minny in 2019). The difference is both of those teams have young energetic coaches who will try whatever they can to give their team an advantage, while Iowa sticks its head in the sand, crosses it's fingers and hopes a lucky bounce of the ball goes their way (ala Iowa State this year).

I just want to address the Hawkeye faithful that are once again ready fire Kirk Ferentz as they are every year until we get to 9 wins and then they are reminded that’s what we are. Iowa in both football and basketball is developmental program that is in that second to higher third tier every year. Then every 5th year or so we have a breakout season and get to 11 or 12 wins. Outside of that we are a 8 and 9 win team nearly every season. No matter who coaches at Iowa that is where they will be. We are not Bama, Clemson or Ohio St. We reserve the right to be critical, but also need to be careful what we wish for. Florida St is a blue blood program who is seriously considering hiring Neon Dion Sanders (who has zero coaching experience) to be their new head coach after 2 back to back losing seasons. Notre Dame (another blue blood) has 1 top 5 win since 2000. Michigan, well they have had 4 coaches since Ferentz was hired and they have the same number of big ten championships as we do in that time frame. Iowa fired Mr. Davis Davis after 13 seasons in which he won 13 NCAA tourney games. Seemed like a great move at the time right? Well in the 20 years since, Iowa has won 4.... yep that’s right we have won 4 NCAA tourney games in 20 years! Iowa is not a power house and they never will be. We may not be great, but we are consistently good which is more than what can be said for a lot of teams in states with much higher populations and multicultural metro areas.

This is 100% LOSER mentality! Go be a fan somewhere else if you are happy with average teams!!!

Iowa isn't consistently good when you get to schedule two easy wins a year at home and beat nobody of consequence. Iowa is, in reality, a .500 team. If you think Iowa can't be any better than that, that's on you.
Agree.Hawks Tough. Can be a 9 10 win team consistently.my opinion. Miss Reece Much. Phil goes ugh huh?

Iwas at the game, and we look confused in time-outs and sending plays in. KF and son do not know how to
I just want to address the Hawkeye faithful that are once again ready fire Kirk Ferentz as they are every year until we get to 9 wins and then they are reminded that’s what we are. Iowa in both football and basketball is developmental program that is in that second to higher third tier every year. Then every 5th year or so we have a breakout season and get to 11 or 12 wins. Outside of that we are a 8 and 9 win team nearly every season. No matter who coaches at Iowa that is where they will be. We are not Bama, Clemson or Ohio St. We reserve the right to be critical, but also need to be careful what we wish for. Florida St is a blue blood program who is seriously considering hiring Neon Dion Sanders (who has zero coaching experience) to be their new head coach after 2 back to back losing seasons. Notre Dame (another blue blood) has 1 top 5 win since 2000. Michigan, well they have had 4 coaches since Ferentz was hired and they have the same number of big ten championships as we do in that time frame. Iowa fired Mr. Davis Davis after 13 seasons in which he won 13 NCAA tourney games. Seemed like a great move at the time right? Well in the 20 years since, Iowa has won 4.... yep that’s right we have won 4 NCAA tourney games in 20 years! Iowa is not a power house and they never will be. We may not be great, but we are consistently good which is more than what can be said for a lot of teams in states with much higher populations and multicultural metro areas.[/QUOTE...

Look it's not about firing KF. But I was at the game. We are so vanilla we do not adjust to any situation unless we are in panic mode and we going to the two-minute drill which happened in the middle of the third quarter which we move the ball. I think our coaching staff needs to have some kind of plan when they go into games like this. We can't just play our game when it's not working and hope to hold the other team and then wait for a big play to win the game. This isn't 1960. I don't think BF really knows what he's doing he's confused. He's 0-8 in two point conversions.. and we're all 0-11.. since 2013. I don't think BF knows what to do with his running backs. We don't see the tight ends hardly at all. And I need to let Stanley be Stanley like in the fourth quarter let him throw the ball more than 10 yards. So it's not about firing KF. I'm not a BF fan. I don't think he's done much as offensive coordinator. And still isn't. I'm sure that'll just get him more money. But I also see that if he's working for his dad or any offensive coordinator working for KF it doesn't matter you're going to do what he wants to do and you're going to end up being vanilla. BF should go somewhere where he can do what he wants to do on offense it's not helping his career.

Look Ferentz one and two aren't going anywhere, we all know that. But what we can do is hold him accountable. People did in 2012, Ferentz made some changes, tried something new, but if the media continues to kiss his ass, nothing will happen. Why won't one of them ask why his offense continues year after year to rank in 90s' nationally in total offense. Ask him if he thinks his offensive scheme has kept up with the times. Ask him why we aren't seeing improvement on the O line. Ask him why we have not seen a truly mobile QB since Brad Banks, (apologies to Tate, Stanzi and Betherd who showed glimpses). Iowa is not making strides moving forward because no one is making the coaching staff move forward.

This is 100% LOSER mentality! Go be a fan somewhere else if you are happy with average teams!!!
I live in ACC country, trust me I can bail anytime and be a Duke or NC basketball fan and Clemson football fan anytime I choose considering that’s what all my neighbors here in the Carolinas do. I always believed in being a fan of all the sports of the school your the fan of, but that mentality is much different here. If you lack a basic understanding about the reality of a non blue blood program located in tiny market Iowa city, in a state that’s 90% white and how that places a ceiling on the ability to recruit at the level of some of these other schools which are either A: located in a much higher populated and demographically diverse state or B: a blue blood school with history of national titles, than you will continue to be miserable and let down every year.

I live in ACC country, trust me I can bail anytime and be a Duke or NC basketball fan and Clemson football fan anytime I choose considering that’s what all my neighbors here in the Carolinas do.

Jesus. Do you live in Cary or Raleigh or some other spineless Yankee relo facility? There are a bunch of Clemson fans near me, but that's because I'm 45 minutes from Clemson. You drive a half hour down 385 from me and there ain't any Clemson fans because everyone cheers for the Cocks. Not everyone is some Johnny come lately fair weather fan. I'm pretty sure Clemson has a smaller fan base than Iowa nationally.

What do you suggest be done?

- Not be so predictable on offense
- Make in game adjustments that make sense
- Not think your way is the only way to win a game
- Not be afraid to take chances
- Willing not to take your foot off the gas when things are going well
- Learn how to use TO's
- The next QB has to have some mobility to move. Doesn't have to be a runner (can be if we have a good one) but when coverage breaks down or the pocket collapses, need to be able to extend the play. If that's Petras, fine. If it's Mansell, fine. If it's Padilla, fine. If it's the incoming freshman Hogan, fine. Wouldn't surprise me if Mansell and/or Padilla transfer though.
- If the your starting RB is returning to his hometown, running with purpose, gaining yardage at a good clip, keep feeding him the ball.
- If the defense's giant nose tackle goes out of the game, gut them up the middle with the person mentioned in the bulletpoint above.
- If the DB is playing 10yds off your WR, run a play that doesn't have your WR go directly at him so he doesn't have to react.
- Utilize Tracy's speed in space on more slants (like the long TD pass produced)

That's probably enough for now. How'd I do? Agree/disagree?

- Not be so predictable on offense
- Make in game adjustments that make sense
- Not think your way is the only way to win a game
- Not be afraid to take chances
- Willing not to take your foot off the gas when things are going well
- Learn how to use TO's
- The next QB has to have some mobility to move. Doesn't have to be a runner (can be if we have a good one) but when coverage breaks down or the pocket collapses, need to be able to extend the play. If that's Petras, fine. If it's Mansell, fine. If it's Padilla, fine. If it's the incoming freshman Hogan, fine. Wouldn't surprise me if Mansell and/or Padilla transfer though.
- If the your starting RB is returning to his hometown, running with purpose, gaining yardage at a good clip, keep feeding him the ball.
- If the defense's giant nose tackle goes out of the game, gut them up the middle with the person mentioned in the bulletpoint above.
- If the DB is playing 10yds off your WR, run a play that doesn't have your WR go directly at him so he doesn't have to react.
- Utilize Tracy's speed in space on more slants (like the long TD pass produced)

That's probably enough for now. How'd I do? Agree/disagree?

Not sure we're on the same page here. Your above points are certainly valid but you originally inferred that there would be no offensive changes as long as Kirk is HC. It is from this that I asked "so what needs to be done?" If there are no offensive changes going into next season because of KF's philosophy / stubborness / whatever then how to we exercise some of your listed recommendations?

This is why I'm waiting to see what may or may not happen going into next season. Doesn't seem to be many other alternatives (Kirk's not going anywhere) besides the hope for some change...........maybe we'll even see some of it in our remaining games. We can hope.

Iowa was 12-0 and 1 play a way from the playoffs in 15. It can happen here. But we need to upgrade the lines, skill players, and more attacking downfield on offense. We should appreciate we are a competitive program, but I don't accept we can't be a championship one with key changes made.
It can only happen here when the schedule is soft with this coaching staff.

I hate the Iowa is a small market argument,. And its white out there. And, and, and.

Iowa City is pretty diverse. Iowa City is smack dab in the middle of 6 metropolitan areas (STL, KC, OM, MN, MIL, CHI). Iowa City is a fantas
It can only happen here when the schedule is soft with this coaching staff.

Thats what KFs agent looks for is the soft schedule.

I hate the Iowa is a small market argument,. And its white out there. And, and, and.

Iowa City is pretty diverse. Iowa City is smack dab in the middle of 6 metropolitan areas (STL, KC, OM, MN, MIL, CHI). Iowa City is a fantas

Thats what KFs agent looks for is the soft schedule.
Iowa City is pretty diverse? Spoken like a true Iowan! Iowa city has roughly 70k people with just over 5% being African American. Why that may be considered "diverse' for Iowa standards that is far from it in comparison to the south (ie SEC and ACC country). That is my whole point about recruiting against the odds in a small market, mostly caucasian state. Overall the athletic talent just isn't there. I live in Wilmington, NC. I consider this town to be small and somewhat diverse, but not overly. That being said, we have nearly twice as many people as Iowa City and AA's make up 20% of our population. AGAIN there are serious recruiting disadvantages Iowa faces. Choose to ignore them all you want, but the data proves it.

Not sure we're on the same page here. Your above points are certainly valid but you originally inferred that there would be no offensive changes as long as Kirk is HC. It is from this that I asked "so what needs to be done?" If there are no offensive changes going into next season because of KF's philosophy / stubborness / whatever then how to we exercise some of your listed recommendations?

This is why I'm waiting to see what may or may not happen going into next season. Doesn't seem to be many other alternatives (Kirk's not going anywhere) besides the hope for some change...........maybe we'll even see some of it in our remaining games. We can hope.

My point was there's been several OC's so there have been surface level "changes" that reap no rewards. There's been one constant in those OC/"changes" and that is KF. So to think after 20yrs, that any major philosophies will change is insanity. I took the question as what could KF change (if he so desired if he wanted - he has demonstrated that he doesn't). I agree that KF is not going anywhere as long as Barta is the AD. You can certainly hope but I think there is a pretty clear track record of what will change....more than likely, not much.

Look it's not about firing KF. But I was at the game. We are so vanilla we do not adjust to any situation unless we are in panic mode and we going to the two-minute drill which happened in the middle of the third quarter which we move the ball. I think our coaching staff needs to have some kind of plan when they go into games like this. We can't just play our game when it's not working and hope to hold the other team and then wait for a big play to win the game. This isn't 1960. I don't think BF really knows what he's doing he's confused. He's 0-8 in two point conversions.. and we're all 0-11.. since 2013. I don't think BF knows what to do with his running backs. We don't see the tight ends hardly at all. And I need to let Stanley be Stanley like in the fourth quarter let him throw the ball more than 10 yards. So it's not about firing KF. I'm not a BF fan. I don't think he's done much as offensive coordinator. And still isn't. I'm sure that'll just get him more money. But I also see that if he's working for his dad or any offensive coordinator working for KF it doesn't matter you're going to do what he wants to do and you're going to end up being vanilla. BF should go somewhere where he can do what he wants to do on offense it's not helping his career.

Just wait until he's the HC....I'm sure he'll be much better!! ;)

I'm not saying I want KF to go, but what are we like 2-11 vs. conference teams that have finished better than .500 over the past 3 years? That needs to change. I get that we might have that "special season" every 4 or 5 years that stand out from the others and obviously I'm not expecting us to win the west every year. Maybe I'm crazy but I don't see why we can't have those season's more frequently. We're 3 scores away from being undefeated, which to me tells me we're so close, but just can't seem to make that last little tweak to put us over the top.

I don't mind the philosophies that keep games close, but at the same time I'd think those same philosophies with some modifications should get us better results on a year to year basis. I guess what I'm saying is that I want to see some sort of change and while I'm not ready to say that it needs to be a new coach, if things aren't going to change and they can't find that little something extra, then maybe it is time for a bigger change.

For F sakes any competent offense at all Iowa beats Michigan, Penn State and possibly Wisconsin. I don’t wanna hear the poor Iowa sob story. All 3 games there for the taking with just an average offense. Absolutely no reason better offensive football can’t be played at Iowa. So f’n old

Latest posts