Iowa Earns No. 2 Seed, Face Grand Canyon in 1st Round

Grand Canyon doesn't have any impressive wins, a 1 point loss against Arizona St., losses to San Francisco, Colorado, and had a win against Nevada. This is a team we should beat, but look like a solid team.

Grand Canyon doesn't have any impressive wins, a 1 point loss against Arizona St., losses to San Francisco, Colorado, and had a win against Nevada. This is a team we should beat, but look like a solid team.
A 15 seed should be beaten soundly. Else we get Hamptoned ala USU.

A 15 beating a 2 has happened only 6 times. So yeah, I am expecting Iowa to win Friday.

Thanks for the info. Saturday/Monday, did I read that right Rob? Why the departure from the usual Thurs/Sat, Fri../Sunday I wonder?

Athe the same time, they won not only their regular-season conference title but also their post-season conference title. They are not to be overlooked.

Some of the talking heads on Bracketology have Iowa facing Gonzaga in the elite 8 with all of them picking Gonzaga over Illinois in the finals. Experience in picking the brackets tells me it's not that easy. Somewhere one of the favorites is gonna stumble and bust the bracket.

Thanks for the info. Saturday/Monday, did I read that right Rob? Why the departure from the usual Thurs/Sat, Fri../Sunday I wonder?
Theres this thing were in called a Pandemic so they shortened the time teams have to be in the so called ncaa tournament bubble. Granted it was only one day but thats

Another one of these "unknown" schools that's pretty big.

GCU has 25,000 students on campus in Phoenix and 90,000 more online. It's actually been around since 1949. They offer over 200 programs in 9 different colleges. Athletics-wise, they've been D1 since the 2013-14 season as a member of the WAC. Former Phoenix Sun Dan Majerle was their HC until they canned him last Spring.

And...we're going to kick their ass.

Another one of these "unknown" schools that's pretty big.

GCU has 25,000 students on campus in Phoenix and 90,000 more online. It's actually been around since 1949. They offer over 200 programs in 9 different colleges. Athletics-wise, they've been D1 since the 2013-14 season as a member of the WAC. Former Phoenix Sun Dan Majerle was their HC until they canned him last Spring.

And...we're going to kick their ass.
I lived in Mesa as a kid (when NBA was actually watchable); Thunder Dan Majerle was my frickin hero.

A 15 beating a 2 has happened only 6 times. So yeah, I am expecting Iowa to win Friday.
That's why you cannot overlook Christian school. Fran should know that because he coached at Notre Dame and his wife played for Notre Dame
Who cares if it seeded #15, but it doesn't mean an automatic win! I expect a good game from them. It comes from the experience as a student at Burlington Notre Dame in the 1981 1A state finals. These players have the heart bigger than the State of Iowa. No, I didn't play Because I just moved to Burlington from San Diego at that time. Iowa shouldn't overlook Grand Canyon.

Do you know if that Cyclone fan who was a TSA agent at sky harbor still posts here? I forget his name.
Ha, I remember him, but also forget his name.

As an aside, I did notice, FWIW, Grand Canyon is the highest KenPom ranked 15 seed. They are 108, next closest 15 seed is in the 150s.

Again it's a "FWIW" kind of thing, but it is a decent predictor of team quality. GC is ranked quite a bit higher than quite a few higher seeded teams.

That said, Iowa should beat them by 20+. *That* said, these games are weird, so I would not count on it. As weird as it would sound to anyone unfamiliar with how the NCAA tourney tends to play out, the line between blowing someone out and letting them hang around to make a one-possession game at the buzzer is very thin. Hawks would do best to show up ready to play like their tournament lives depend on it.

Latest posts