Iowa Drops Four Sports

Disappointing for those athletes but also inevitable that some sports would be on the chopping block given everything going on right now.

Life ain’t fair.

Downsizing happens in literally all phases and sectors of adult life. His kid would be smart to learn that lesson.

Everybody on this planet is a millimeter away from cancer or a layoff or a hurricane or your family-owned business becoming obsolete or a car accident or someone’s nephew getting the job you're way more qualified for.

Purdy’s kid ain’t gonna fuckin die because he doesn’t get to swim in Iowa City. If you believe he is, I got plenty of sob stories in my own life that I want answers for, too.

Last edited:
This is a bad thing. I get football is the money maker, but Olympic sports draw fans as well

Boo on this decision.

FIRE GARY BARTA

An AD who cannot save sprts needs t o go

Last edited:
Life ain’t fair.

Downsizing happens in literally all phases and sectors of adult life. His kid would be smart to learn that lesson.

Everybody on this planet is a millimeter away from cancer or a layoff or a hurricane or your family-owned business becoming obsolete or a car accident or someone’s nephew getting the job your way more qualified for.

Purdy’s kid ain’t gonna fuckin die because he doesn’t get to swim in Iowa City. If you believe he is, I got plenty of sob stories in my own life that I want answers for, too.

Agree. Since people get cancer, he has no right to be disappointed about this.

A pandemic is something that is almost unplanned for by most organizations. The floods that wiped out part of the UI campus was more obvious a possibility than a pandemic but Hancher and other places were still built by the river, etc etc. But a flood recedes pretty quickly and the cleanup and rebuilding can start and be finished fairly fast.

Right now we are at the end of 5 months of illness and economic woes which doesnt seem to be letting up. If the UI has to highly curtail on campus students that will be another blow to the campus and city.

I wish Barta would have maybe mothballed these sports for a year somehow to bring them back in 2022.

Life is changing for everyone, we just aren't prepared. AI and automation is going to wipe out many jobs in the coming years. Sure new jobs will be created, but in the end, there will be fewer for fewer. We've been talking race, the coming job market will be devastating across all races. Maybe you saw how AI wiped out one of the best fighter pilots in simulation recently. Trucks will be driverless rather quickly.

Football was slowly dying. It won't recover to where it's at. It's really a good time to reevaluate life and what is important to you. Just like we are seeing never before seen weather events, the pace and intensity of life change is going to boggle the mind.

The writing on the wall for football to me came in seeing football moms and fat dad's protesting the Big. No one really cares. Lori Laughlin really didn't do anything these football mommy's wouldn't do. She just had more power to get her kids ahead. In the end it didn't help...it hurt. I'm all for trying to figure out ways to help combat racial inequality. However, in the end, people figuring out life on their own is really what it's about. It's like going through birth, the baby needs that struggle to begin getting their act together.

The coming years are going to be painful. The only way for most to win is to figure out life and learn to chill. No football this year is not a tremendous deal in life. Economically maybe. Emotionally it gives us the means to escape what we should really be focusing on.

So U I is expecting a 10% deficit. As a nation we experienced -55% economic decline 2nd quarter and have grown about -25 3rd quarter. Non government economic decline was 60 % take away got expenditures. Could be worse than 10%

Agree. Since people get cancer, he has no right to be disappointed about this.
Being disappointed is absolutely reasonable.

His son “lost his world?”

He “knew he was home; now it’s all gone?”

A little melodrama, eh?

If Purdy and his kid are this devastated over a sport getting cancelled what would they do if something actually serious or life-altering happened?

Downsizing happens in literally all phases and sectors of adult life.

There are some things that have been in a pretty constant state of growth for the past several decades. Large university budgets and athletic department budgets are a few such examples. Educators call it a budget cut when the government raises their allocation 5% in year and only 4% in year 2. They are sofaking far gone from economic reality that a small dose of it drives them insane.

Latest posts