"Iowa doesn't have the talent to hang in there"

Didn't we hear that last year? And the year before that, and the year before that. . .

It was Reece Davis and he doesn't know ****, but I will say, there was a big talent gap in that Fiesta Bowl too when OU played Boise St and how did that turn out?
My bad, im listening to Serius satellite radio and I thought it was him. We aren't going to do gadget plays like BSU did which escentially won them the game as OU outplayed them in the 2nd half. We won't. Head to head, OU is the way better team, I just hope we can play inspired football. These guy were the preseason ranked #1 right?

Oklahoma is similar to Mizzou last year. NFL QB, explosive offense, questionable defense, "more talent" and both had similar rankings.

I really don't know what to expect. KF always gets us ready for the bowl games and we really don't know what Oklahoma thinks about playing in this bowl game.

I think Oklahoma thinks they are better than they are, which is how you get blown away by your rival. I think Iowa will be prepared. I think OU has better talent, but I don't think that necessarily wins them the game.

Depends a lot if Broyles and their RB are back. Their passing game hasn't looked very good since Broyles went out.

Also, remember that OSU held them to 10 (essentially3 pts) with a porous defense.

Oklahoma is similar to Mizzou last year. NFL QB, explosive offense, questionable defense, "more talent" and both had similar rankings.

I really don't know what to expect. KF always gets us ready for the bowl games and we really don't know what Oklahoma thinks about playing in this bowl game.

Agree about Oklahoma and Mizzou being similar. Difference is we had much more talent last year and we just underperformed. Clearly this year we don't have as much talent. Also Pinkel has a rep of not preparing very well for bowls while I think Stoops will get them ready to play against us.

I think the OU players won't get jacked up to play Iowa. I think they feel like 9-3 is a lost season when they were #1. I don't know if the motivation will be there. Maybe it will be, but if you can't get fired up for #3 and your big rival, will you get fired up for the insight and Iowa?

Great opportunity for the Hawkeyes to finish a frustrating season on a positive note , beating Okie would be great any year, plus what a great way to go into the off-season

The Big 10 is going to struggle in bowl games this year. I really don't think the conference was that strong, but the BCS jumped a thte chance to take Michigan similar to a Notre Dame type coup. This moved all the teams up a slot, and the challenge just got steeper. Other than a favorable matchup for Michigan versus another team that I don't think deserves it(VTech), it looks challenging. That is the most undeserving BCS pair I have seen in a while.

The BCS which was designed to pair the best teams together has failed miserably for years, and this is just like the old bowl system no difference.

However, as any statistician will tell you, there is no way to pick the 2 best teams this way when they play 75% of their games against their own conference. This is called contemporary groups. Just because 2 teams in the SEC dominate their conference doesn't make them the 2 best teams etc. etc.

The Big 10 is going to struggle in bowl games this year. I really don't think the conference was that strong, but the BCS jumped a thte chance to take Michigan similar to a Notre Dame type coup. This moved all the teams up a slot, and the challenge just got steeper. Other than a favorable matchup for Michigan versus another team that I don't think deserves it(VTech), it looks challenging. That is the most
undeserving BCS pair I have seen
in a while.

besides Clemson and WV.

besides Clemson and WV.

they both won their conf. championships, so they "deserve it".

UM was 10-2 and lost to Iowa and MSU, and didn't have any big wins.
VT beat NOBODY, and lost to Clemson badly. Kstate was much more deserving than them.

However, I still have no idea why the Big East gets an automatic bid. Crazy.

The BCS which was designed to pair the best teams together has failed miserably for years, and this is just like the old bowl system no difference.

However, as any statistician will tell you, there is no way to pick the 2 best teams this way when they play 75% of their games against their own conference. This is called contemporary groups. Just because 2 teams in the SEC dominate their conference doesn't make them the 2 best teams etc. etc.
You are exactly right. The SEC as a whole did not look like world beaters in non conference play. Robert Smith actually said that non- conference shouldn't matter that much, and that was the only reason the computers like the Big 12. This is just stupid. That is the ony window we have to gauge conference strength on a relative scale. It amazes me that in sports everyone assumes that humans throwing numbers on a sheet to determine rankings is a better system than a statistically driven one. Advanced baseball statistics have shown that those stats can be used to gauge relative player value, and win games. Not in football though. Humans know best. And the humans have seen the SEC win every BCS championship for quite some time.

In my line of work, you know what the most common factor is in the issues that we deal with day to day? I will give you a hint, it isn't computer error.

I'm not suggesting that Alabama isn't a very, very good team, but...

How many really good teams has Alabama beaten this year?

This year's Oklahoma team is probably more talented than last year's Missouri team.

This year's Iowa team is no where near as talented as last year's Iowa team.

ESPN is spot on about the talent disparity. Spot on. But that's why we play the games. The more talented team doesn't always win.

dsc_0002.jpg

Latest posts