Iowa Delivers Super Sunday Comeback

Great win, good coaching decision to keep a hot, cohesive lineup out there. But to say that was a small lineup is laughable. Sure looked long and lanky to me, but any win is a good win.

Schedule now really turns brutal, though recent Wisconsin slide may soften it a tiny bit. If Sandfort wants to put his money where his mouth is and say this team is poised to make a statement, they certainly have the opportunity based on remaining schedule.

I think everyone had shell shock from the girls game, combined with pre-stupor bowl preparations. I only watched half the game-the 2nd half fortunately. Scratching my head wondering where this version of Patrick has been. With Sandfort in a 2nd half groove and Owen Freeman's monster game, this looked like a team that could make some noise in the BTT

It wont last, but it was a fun game, at least the 2nd half

Iowa does not have a resume for the tourney one way or the other. I have never seen such a scratch schedule in my life. Pretty much won what they should have and lost what they should have with an average schedule at best. That said, they still have a path, albeit uphill.

Given the tough schedule ahead, with a lot of opportunities for that signature win or two, I am saying Iowa needs 5 more wins (which includes the conference tourney) to sneak into the tourney. I would be a bit surprised if they get there, but this team can beat just about anyone (except Purdue), but also lose to anyone.

I think everyone had shell shock from the girls game, combined with pre-stupor bowl preparations. I only watched half the game-the 2nd half fortunately. Scratching my head wondering where this version of Patrick has been. With Sandfort in a 2nd half groove and Owen Freeman's monster game, this looked like a team that could make some noise in the BTT

It wont last, but it was a fun game, at least the 2nd half
We have been waiting 4 years for Patrick to play consistently. He clearly has the skills to be a 14-5 sort of player. Its between his ears. I am not betting on him figuring it out these last 6-8 games, but if he somehow did, this team could be dangerous down the stretch.

Patrick, Sandford, Krike. They can look all-conference one game and then be an absolute non-factor the next three.

Great win, good coaching decision to keep a hot, cohesive lineup out there. But to say that was a small lineup is laughable. Sure looked long and lanky to me, but any win is a good win.

Schedule now really turns brutal, though recent Wisconsin slide may soften it a tiny bit. If Sandfort wants to put his money where his mouth is and say this team is poised to make a statement, they certainly have the opportunity based on remaining schedule.
Yeah, when Wisconsin broke the Top 10, I thought they might be the weakest team to crack the Top 10 in years. They ain't a Top 10 or Top 15 or even Top 20 team. And from what I saw of their last game, they are still grabbing and holding as always -- amazing what they get away with. I see a tech coming on Fran when they play the Hawks!

This is what this team is capable of

They have shown glimpses of this potential all season

Not consistently, remember this is a rebuilding year

The wins against Ohio State and Minnesota were solid

And unexpected for certain

Fun to watch for me

:cool:

This is a strange team. On one hand I think this team has 6 players that are between good and great. That's enough to be the 2nd best team in the conference, and we look like it at times. On the other hand, most of those 6 players completely disappear at times and even worse, they make some really costly, completely unnecessary mistakes. At times they look like the worst team in the conference.

With the upper classmen on this team, I could really see us making a strong run down the stretch. But with the schedule we have left, almost every game is a good chance at a loss. Anywhere from 6-1 to 1-6 is possible.

This is a strange team. On one hand I think this team has 6 players that are between good and great. That's enough to be the 2nd best team in the conference, and we look like it at times. On the other hand, most of those 6 players completely disappear at times and even worse, they make some really costly, completely unnecessary mistakes. At times they look like the worst team in the conference.

With the upper classmen on this team, I could really see us making a strong run down the stretch. But with the schedule we have left, almost every game is a good chance at a loss. Anywhere from 6-1 to 1-6 is possible.
I've had similar thoughts. Experience at the Guard position, with a do-everything Guard in Perkins and a shooter/driver in Sandfort. An experienced Forward in Krikke who can consistently nail mid-range shots. Conference Freshman of the Year at Center. I mean, the pieces are there from an offensive talent perspective to be great. Problem is, other than Perkins, the other 4 starters AND subs are woefully subpar defensively -- including Bowen, who lets other Guards drive by him all the time. And no defensive 'rim protector' which many BTen teams have. It's unfortunate, because as you say, the team has talent.

I've had similar thoughts. Experience at the Guard position, with a do-everything Guard in Perkins and a shooter/driver in Sandfort. An experienced Forward in Krikke who can consistently nail mid-range shots. Conference Freshman of the Year at Center. I mean, the pieces are there from an offensive talent perspective to be great. Problem is, other than Perkins, the other 4 starters AND subs are woefully subpar defensively -- including Bowen, who lets other Guards drive by him all the time. And no defensive 'rim protector' which many BTen teams have. It's unfortunate, because as you say, the team has talent.
I think Bowen is better on D than you think. Isn’t Owen a rim protector? Has a lot of blocks. Tendency to foul has been a problem, I know. Clean up that issue and he may fill the bill.

Well defense is really not something that is learned and learned well at Iowa. We have much empirical data to support.

Latest posts