Iowa Defensive Spring Two Deep

McNutt at PR is not stupid. Ball Security is WAY more important than a fancy return in the punting game. Fair catch everyball I am ok with that if we never turn it over. Takes some huge balls to do that job. This just means he is not comfortable with anyone yet.

McNutt at PR is not stupid. Ball Security is WAY more important than a fancy return in the punting game. Fair catch everyball I am ok with that if we never turn it over. Takes some huge balls to do that job. This just means he is not comfortable with anyone yet.

It doesn't really take big stones to fair catch every time. The defense can't touch you if you do that. Obviously there are players dumb enough to hit you anyway, but that hardly happens frequently. Big stones are what guys like Devin Hester have, who will NOT call for a fair catch, even with the defense bearing down on them.

I think McNutt could do a fine job at PR but I dont think with the amount of points he puts on the board that we give him a chance to get hurt.

Do we have the two biggest punters in the nation?

Maybe a little added incentive for JB not being listed on the two deeps.

Is there any chance that the signee from NY, the one Ferentz said he didn't want to make a mistake on by not offering a la Woodhead, will return kicks next fall. He looked shifty and fast!

I wonder if a few messages are being sent to players by who is not on the two deeps, such as Bernstien I don't think those lists mean much until about September 1.

Also noticed one linebacker spot has two candidates that are about 215 pounds. Maybe they want to speed up the linebackers for pass defense as Iowa rarely plays the nickel and with the spread offenses becoming more common, we need the coverage speed.

PR- McNutt? Dont think I like that.

I don't like McNutt OR Davis returning. Injuries being a key reason for that. These two are WAY too valuable to lose on a return. Plus, they are big receivers, they are not returners. Big guys are Rarely great returners, there is a reason for that. There are too big, too easy to see and are easier to bring down when going head to head at 50 mph.
Give me a smaller, quicker back to do returns. Canzeri?? Maybe another burner, one of the other DBs or another RB? They are quicker, just as fast, much smaller of a target and harder to find. Remember Fred Russell? Where the F was he?!? You couldn't see the guy behind all the players up front in the wedge.

Last edited:
Do we have the two biggest punters in the nation?

I don't know about about biggest punters, but I watched vid of Mullings at open practice and we definitely have the slowest. Catches it, holds it in his right hand, considers the stitching pattern on the ball, thinks about rugby and a Foster's, puts the ball in his left hand, wonders why his right hand is empty, remembers why, remembers he loves Foster's, remembers he is left handed, remembers he is supposed to punt, decides this time he really is going to punt, no worries, mate. Drops the ball and...

punts.

He might want to smooth that out and pick up the pace a little, or get extra padding in his pants for when he gets KNOCKED ON HIS ***!

I hate the What If game, but I'm gonna play it anyway. Remember Andy Brodell? Remember what he did at the 06 Alamo against Texas? Totally burned one of the corners after making a catch to take it to the house. What if he hadn't gotten injured? He came back and proved to be a great asset, and had that game sealing punt return against State, but I think he could've been better.

I want another punt returner like that. Or Tim Dwight. I guess that's asking too much though.

Besides Brodell's punt return, I can't remember the last one returned for a TD. Seems like good teams should have at least one per year.

Latest posts