Iowa Defense

What exactly do Frans assistants bring to the table? They must not know much about defense. Fran does ok with offense but he needs help with the defense. Two new assistants would help IMO!
Maybe Fran could find one or two to get more athletic (non-white?) players into the program.

I was going to start a thread on this. Why? Why can't they just hold an opposing team in the 70's. That's all they would have to do as they usually score 80+ pts a game. Find a way to keep a team in the 70's pt range. krist!

Part of the reason they get to 80 is the pace they push, but also by how quickly the Hawks are scored on. One doesn't begat the other.

What gets me is that Iowa can look like a lock down defensive team the first half against MSU.. And then allow 106 points in the following 40 minutes of game play. Yes, I realize that MSU most certainly made some halftime adjustments, etc. but it really seems to be a lack of consistency, not a complete inability, to play good defense.

The question, of course, is WHY.

What gets me is that Iowa can look like a lock down defensive team the first half against MSU.. And then allow 106 points in the following 40 minutes of game play. Yes, I realize that MSU most certainly made some halftime adjustments, etc. but it really seems to be a lack of consistency, not a complete inability, to play good defense.

The question, of course, is WHY.

They really have a problem with playing good defense while their offense is clicking.

The 82 points to Penn State (2nd highest of their year - they scored 87 vs North Florida) was also bad (even in a win).
Points don't mean much. We play up tempo. So points will often be higher. But the stats support your statement that we weren't good against PSU. But we were pretty good to good in the other 4 wins and average in the loss to Wisconsin.

Below are the FG and 3 percentages against Iowa followed by for the season...through Monday games.

WI 48.2 & 33.3...48.0 & 39.9
NE 46.2 & 17.4...45.6 & 35.7
NW 38.6 & 25.9...42.0 & 34.0
OSU 37.3 & 40.0...46.2 & 35.9
PSU 46.9 & 34.3...41.0 & 31.3
IL 39.1 & 34.4...42.9 & 34.4

Points don't mean much. We play up tempo. So points will often be higher. But the stats support your statement that we weren't good against PSU. But we were pretty good to good in the other 4 wins and average in the loss to Wisconsin.

Below are the FG and 3 percentages against Iowa followed by for the season...through Monday games.

WI 48.2 & 33.3...48.0 & 39.9
NE 46.2 & 17.4...45.6 & 35.7
NW 38.6 & 25.9...42.0 & 34.0
OSU 37.3 & 40.0...46.2 & 35.9
PSU 46.9 & 34.3...41.0 & 31.3
IL 39.1 & 34.4...42.9 & 34.4

I agree Iowa plays uptempo. However, Penn State's points that game was worrisome to me. This is a team that really struggles to score, but they were not struggling that game until sometime in the 2nd half.

Even though Iowa's defense has improved from last year (Ken Pom 126th in Adjusted Def this year vs. 242 last year), it still springs leaks at times. The next lowest team in the Big 10 in Adjusted Def this year is Illinois, at 74. Iowa is still 50 places worse then all Big 10 teams. Ouch.

The defense is improved from last year. Hopefully, the can continue shore some things up through the 2nd half of the Big 10. If not, they will struggle to win games.

None of us expect them to be an elite defense...just adequate. We have been adequate much of the season. Just a thought...are we still adequate as long as we aren't playing the 4 best teams in the conference? Was Minnesota the exception? Were we adequate in all of the wins.

Set aside Friday's game...good or bad outcome. It will be interesting to see if we suddenly become adequate (good enough to win) when we start playing teams not ranked in the Top 12 by Kenpom.
Adequate against a top 5 team.

Best defensive performance of the year... though aided by Michigan having a poor shooting night.

So-thats-how-it-works.jpg

Great effort and team defense. Knowing they can play that way against a top tier team, I hope they are able to continue to put forth that effort every game.

Latest posts