Iowa dark horse candidate?

JCLP205

Iowa is coming off an 11-win season and hasn't had a winning record since Steve Alford's last season with the school in 2006-07. So why is this year going to be any different for the Hawkeyes?
While nothing is certain in terms of wins, Iowa certainly have some pieces to build around in what figures to be a very competitive Big Ten Conference.
Here's our own Eamonn Brennan, who has Iowa roots, with more on why the Hawkeyes could finally break out in 2011-12.
- Joe Kaiser

brennan_eamonn_30.jpg
Eamonn Brennan

Iowa could improve in season two under McCaffery
"The Hawkeyes have one of the best post players in the league in Melsahn Basabe and a potential breakout wing player in Matt Gatens, and head coach Fran McCaffery now has the benefit of a year's work with the same players in his high-pressure uptempo system. I'm not saying Iowa is going to the tournament, but as a slightly surprising sleeper? I can see it."​

I had hopes that Gatens would be a breakout player, but I've given up on that. He is a nice adequate player. I've never seen a B1G player miss wide open shots like he does, though.
I hate this cliche, but in this case it fits, he is what he is.
Iowa is not a darkhouse. More like.........eggshell horse.

I don't think Iowa will make the NCAA Tourney this year but I can certainly see us having an impact on where some other teams are seeded. I think the Hawks get an NIT bid this season.

While possible he'll be different, I expect Gatens to be a slightly better version of who he has been the first 3 years. Fairly dependable, but always burdened by not being 3 inches taller given his skills.

I think we've seen the type of player that Gatens is, and will be. The big question as I see it is if he can consistently make open jumpers, unlike the past two seasons. If he can do that, he'll be a very good player for us. Maybe 5 ppg better than a year ago. Otherwise I expect about what we got from him last year. He isn't going to suddenly get more athletic, taller, etc.

I think Gatens can be better than what we've seen. He was never 100% last year. I really hope he starts clicking from the get-go this season. Potential is there.

77 nailed it. If Gatens becomes dependable to hit open jumpers it will be something we haven't had since the hair was the coach.

It will stretch defenses and allow Basabe to capitalize on his strengths without teams being able to collapse in the paint.

Gaten broken his thumb or hand at start of practice last year, correct? And missed a game or 2. That certainly affected his development and shot.

I'm hopeful, but Iowa basketball has me at I'll believe things when I see things, until then my expectations aren't that high. Bad attitude I know, but that's kind of where I'm honestly at.

Gatens will have a great year assuming the hoop doesn't block any more of his shots. He should get the benefit of remaining on the perimeter and becoming a great spotup player.

This is the way I see it. The opponents' D will not be able to concentrate on Gatens around the perimeter this year as they did last year, when he was the only outside offensive threat on the team. Double team and pay the price while White and Basabe tear it up inside. Eric May is overdue for a breakout year, similar to his freshman year. I also believe that we will surprise a few folk this season. We shall see.

If the hawks have a breakout year it will be because of the improved play of basabe marble cartwright..
Gatens will be about the same as last year. Hes one dimensional, that hasnt changed overnight.

If the hawks have a breakout year it will be because of the improved play of basabe marble cartwright..
Gatens will be about the same as last year. Hes one dimensional, that hasnt changed overnight.

Who says he has to physically change to have a breakout year? Plenty of guys, in every sport, have much better production in their senior years than they did as underclassmen. Most of them didn't grow much in the offseason, or suddenly get more athletic. They just got better at what they already could do.

If Gatens can get more consistent with his open jumpers, and refine the step back jumper from 15-18 feet, he can have a good year for us.

Iowa might finish .500

There is good reason they are picked to come in 10th in the conference despite the delusions of the majority of rHe posters on here

Gatens will have a breakout year. Up to this point in his career the Hawks have not had the supporting cast to enable him to have a true breakout year. Teams have been able to double team him and that combined with the injury from last year he had the type of year any reasonable person would have expected.

Am I going to be right...time will tell now won't it!

Latest posts