Iowa D-Line Competition Should Be Stiff This Spring

Finding one TRANSFER legitimate DT that has experience in the Power 5 would be absolutely huge. I think, with what KF is saying about Waggoner...we will be fine at the ends...in both the early down packages and the passing down packages. Waggoner got on the field in 2019...and he's much bigger and stronger now.

I think you need a space eater...a Heflin type in the 300 to 310 range as controlling the line of scrimmage is important. Throwing a bunch of 275 pound guys out there in our defense...is tough...when you are giving up 40 to 50 pounds to an offensive line...especially to a large OL like Wisconsin....those combo blocks are devastating if you can't at least slow it down and limit the release to the linebackers. Heflin and Nixon were both over 300 and that's why no one could run on us after they got sync'd up.

I would say we should move one of the back ups from the OL over to DT, but we don't exactly have any big boys over there either. I would hope KF is keeping an eye on the waiver wire, because this interior DL is clearly the weakness of the team on paper.

Finding one TRANSFER legitimate DT that has experience in the Power 5 would be absolutely huge. I think, with what KF is saying about Waggoner...we will be fine at the ends...in both the early down packages and the passing down packages. Waggoner got on the field in 2019...and he's much bigger and stronger now.

I think you need a space eater...a Heflin type in the 300 to 310 range as controlling the line of scrimmage is important. Throwing a bunch of 275 pound guys out there in our defense...is tough...when you are giving up 40 to 50 pounds to an offensive line...especially to a large OL like Wisconsin....those combo blocks are devastating if you can't at least slow it down and limit the release to the linebackers. Heflin and Nixon were both over 300 and that's why no one could run on us after they got sync'd up.

And remember Nixon didnt originally start off in the P5. I would say we could use any really decent 300 pound Dee tackle with good hands and feet, some good experience, etc from jucos or non-p5 even. They might not be a starter but could give good relief and rest to the starters

And remember Nixon didnt originally start off in the P5. I would say we could use any really decent 300 pound Dee tackle with good hands and feet, some good experience, etc from jucos or non-p5 even. They might not be a starter but could give good relief and rest to the starters
Nixon wanted to come to Iowa out of HS but had some academic deficiencies. That is why he went to Iowa Western. He only spent one year there before transferring to Iowa.

You need VanValkenberg and Waggoner to be serviceable(which a good chance they will be). Then it falls upon Black and Shannon not to be average, but good. However that it plays out, if they can stop the run, combined with the back 7 this defense will be pretty good.

You need VanValkenberg and Waggoner to be serviceable(which a good chance they will be). Then it falls upon Black and Shannon not to be average, but good. However that it plays out, if they can stop the run, combined with the back 7 this defense will be pretty good.

For a defense to be good they have to be able to stop the run. Getting gashed play after play from the run game is dying by a slow death as you cant control field position, the clock, probably the score (although one of Iowa's and the Parkers' big aim is holding teams to FG tries), and your defense gets tired and it is worse in the fourth quarter.

I know it is not Parker's way, but he may need to bring the CASH or third linebacker into the box more this season to support what could be suspect DL play. Scheme can cover some level of player deficiency.