Iowa could use another brad banks type qb

hwkfans

brad banks was such a threat being a mobile qb. does iowa have anything close to him coming up the ranks. if not, why can we? should we?

Derby, but who knows if he will play QB. Rudock has some wheels. I'd like to have one just for the simple fact that it would change the offensive scheme.

I agree. I enjoy watching dual threat QB's and think it would actually beefit this offense a lot.

Cardale Jones from Ohio is the only one I know of that could be a Brad Banks type QB. He seems like a pretty good pocket passer and decent accuracy. Here is his profile from scout.com and a video from youtube.

Scout.com: Cardale Jones Profile

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihFDhKoFoGo"]YouTube - Cardale Jones Highlights[/ame]

Currently Iowa has Jake Rudock as a verbal commit and he looks to be a real good prospect but I really like Cardale Jones as well.

Last edited:
Cardale Jones is not really a Brad Banks type. Banks was 5'11", maybe 200. Jones is 6'5", around 220 or so. Banks could have played WR in college; Jones is more likely to play TE (though, I hear we may be recruiting him as a WR). Its like the difference between Denard Robinson and Cam Newton. Runners, but not in the same way.

Brad Banks type QB's are not going to come to Iowa anymore. Too many spread, pistol, option-spread offenses out there to choose from. The best Iowa can hope for is an Elway / Tim T type runner.

Not necessarily true, CAAR. We still get some of those guys, but we make them into WR's and DB's. I have no clue what DJK was like as a passer, but he certainly would have been Banks-like (except faster) as a runner.

Cardale Jones is not really a Brad Banks type. Banks was 5'11", maybe 200. Jones is 6'5", around 220 or so. Banks could have played WR in college; Jones is more likely to play TE (though, I hear we may be recruiting him as a WR). Its like the difference between Denard Robinson and Cam Newton. Runners, but not in the same way.

Not sure I understand. So because of size and weight they couldn't be the same type? Also you say Banks could have been a WR in college and Iowa may be recruiting Jones as a WR. They are both dual threat QB's as in they can both pass and run the ball effectively which is what the OP was talking about. Jones is the closest QB Iowa is currently looking at that is the closest thing to a Brad Banks type QB.

Not sure I understand. So because of size and weight they couldn't be the same type? Also you say Banks could have been a WR in college and Iowa may be recruiting Jones as a WR. They are both dual threat QB's as in they can both pass and run the ball effectively which is what the OP was talking about. Jones is the closest QB Iowa is currently looking at that is the closest thing to a Brad Banks type QB.

They're both mobile, just different styles. Jones looks more like the Vince Young/Cam Newton/Terrelle Pryor kind of runner, whereas Banks was more of a Taylor Martinez/Ell Roberson (K-State QB in 2002 and 2003)/Mike Vick (though not as fast) type of runner. Not sure that's really relevant either way (which is your point), just saying that that's what he meant when he said that Jones isn't a Banks-like QB.

You know its funny people keep saying this, it seems that for the most part everybody considers Stanzi to be just a pocket passer. Which is pretty much what he has been at Iowa but in his senior year of high school he threw for 2,200 yards and ran for 700. Apparently he was considered a dual threat qb all this time. And looking back the times Stanzi has run with the ball he has looked pretty good doing it. Hes big and hes pretty quick on his feet.

Not just the ability to run but the ability to improvise would be so helpful. Some of Banks and later, Drew Tate's best plays came on improvisations. Plays kept alive by poise and quick feet.

Often I've wondered this year if Iowa ever practices a scramble drill.

It has some to do with the O scheme as well. IMO Banks took off more than the staff wanted but the extra dimension is just harder to defend.
A saavy Qb will get us the same place and I think Rudock looks to have it and Vandy is a better short range passer than RS. IMO Vandy's QB skills are best but leadership and decision making are really important as well. If he was a little less gutsy on where he throws the ball I think he would've started over RS. RS is the puppet the KF wants leading the O but he probably isn't the best player in terms of potential to win. He doesn't sem to feel the pressure or is slow reacting. And definately starts each play with really only one option in mind and seems paniced if they cover the play.
Vandy seemed to read what he saw but took alot of chances. Rudocks films show him reading the field and making a choice but we'll see if he can do this when he doesn't have WR's that are twice as good as the Dbs.

You know its funny people keep saying this, it seems that for the most part everybody considers Stanzi to be just a pocket passer. Which is pretty much what he has been at Iowa but in his senior year of high school he threw for 2,200 yards and ran for 700. Apparently he was considered a dual threat qb all this time. And looking back the times Stanzi has run with the ball he has looked pretty good doing it. Hes big and hes pretty quick on his feet.

Ricky Stanzi is mobile. Drew Tate was mobile. Brad Banks legs were a legit weapon that you could call plays for, far moreso than Stanzi or Tate IMO. At least that's my take. And I agree, it would be nice to have a QB with the wheels that Banks had.. Not just a QB that can pick up 5-10 yards when he's flushed out of the pocket and no receivers are open, but someone with the threat to rip off a long run on any given play.

To me, the success of the 2002 offense was all about Brad Banks and the offensive line.

It has some to do with the O scheme as well. IMO Banks took off more than the staff wanted but the extra dimension is just harder to defend.
A saavy Qb will get us the same place and I think Rudock looks to have it and Vandy is a better short range passer than RS. IMO Vandy's QB skills are best but leadership and decision making are really important as well. If he was a little less gutsy on where he throws the ball I think he would've started over RS. RS is the puppet the KF wants leading the O but he probably isn't the best player in terms of potential to win. He doesn't sem to feel the pressure or is slow reacting. And definately starts each play with really only one option in mind and seems paniced if they cover the play.
Vandy seemed to read what he saw but took alot of chances. Rudocks films show him reading the field and making a choice but we'll see if he can do this when he doesn't have WR's that are twice as good as the Dbs.

Vandy took a few more chances because he has the arm to do so. If he can thread the needle on the slant like he did to McNutt at OSU, then I don't want him gun-shy on those opportunities.

Yes we all want a "Brad Banks" type QB and an offensive line that included a Top 2 pick and 2 more top 3 round picks.

Oh!!! and an all pro tight end and a couple of stud wide receivers, not to mention a 1,200 yard running back that is complemented by a 600 yard running back.

Yeah I would like the 2002 Offensive Juggernaut back every year.

Yes we all want a "Brad Banks" type QB and an offensive line that included a Top 2 pick and 2 more top 3 round picks.

Oh!!! and an all pro tight end and a couple of stud wide receivers, not to mention a 1,200 yard running back that is complemented by a 600 yard running back.

Yeah I would like the 2002 Offensive Juggernaut back every year.

I wouldn't exactly call Mo Brown and C.J. Jones "studs". They were good, but neither were drafted, and only Jones ever caught on to a roster, IIRC. That was the weak spot on that offense.

Latest posts