Iowa City’s Nate Wieland Could Be Closing In on Iowa Offer

Rob, He states that there are six offers left, I thought I had read where the class would be around 22. Currently there are 13 commits, if my numbers are correct do you have a guess on who the three unknown commits might be?

Rob, He states that there are six offers left, I thought I had read where the class would be around 22. Currently there are 13 commits, if my numbers are correct do you have a guess on who the three unknown commits might be?

IMO, Reese is speculating based on players they feel good about getting. I do not believe there are any silent commits.

I like Wieland a lot. I think he has the potential to be a real good player at the next level and he fits well. He grew up a Hawkeye fan, which is a bonus.

Perhaps he will be a "fallback" in the form of Josey Jewell or Bob Sanders.

This looks to be one of those kids that if we don't offer and pursue will be brought up countless times as one that got away and used as "proof" our coaches don't know what their doing.
But, if we get him and he doesn't start, he will still be used as "proof" our coaches don't know what they are doing.

Personally I hope we get him. Seems to be the type of kid that will buy into the Hawkeye way and grow into a decent to good contributor.

This looks to be one of those kids that if we don't offer and pursue will be brought up countless times as one that got away and used as "proof" our coaches don't know what their doing.

But, if we get him and he doesn't start, he will still be used as "proof" our coaches don't know what they are doing.

Personally I hope we get him. Seems to be the type of kid that will buy into the Hawkeye way and grow into a decent to good contributor.

Seems a little premature to lash out at your fellow fans over something that hasn't happened.

Last edited:
Seems a little premature to lash out at your fellow fans over something that hasn't happened.

I don't know about that being lashing out, that was pretty tame and not directed towards anyone in specific. I do find it odd that you seemed to take a bit of offense to it.

That might be a bit premature.

Remember Vandeberg is coming back which is one less senior leaving and Clayberg also counts towards this class.

Highlights remind of me former NIU QB Jordan Lynch, can see why NIU wants'm as a dual threat QB. Looks like a D1 ATH as far as size/speed goes. He's clearly a project as a defensive prospect tho; a fair number of Iowa LBs have made that transition in the past so if the staff see's a fit, probably worth a dice roll with where the class is.

Nate told me this morning that he will be officially visiting Iowa on the weekend of Jan. 20. I expect an offer to come and for him to commit.

I like Wieland a lot. I think he has the potential to be a real good player at the next level and he fits well. He grew up a Hawkeye fan, which is a bonus.

Perhaps he will be a "fallback" in the form of Josey Jewell or Bob Sanders.

I agree. This kid seems to fit the mold of late state of Iowa offers that pan out. I read before that he was injured last year which likely slowed the recruitment of him. To me he looks like he could be a good LB.