Iowa checking in at #15 this week.

I thought they would have been 13, 14, or 15 with the Indiana loss. Thought they may have been 11, 12 with the win.

It's crazy that OSU moved to a 1 seed after beating us which pretty much means we would have been projected as a 1 if we would have won. Now we are sitting around a 5 wondering how we can turn it around. Such a fine line between winning and losing and we always seem to be on the wrong side of it. And that's going back as far as I can remember.

It's crazy that OSU moved to a 1 seed after beating us which pretty much means we would have been projected as a 1 if we would have won. Now we are sitting around a 5 wondering how we can turn it around. Such a fine line between winning and losing and we always seem to be on the wrong side of it. And that's going back as far as I can remember.
2 weeks ago, TOSU wasn't anywhere near a 1 seed. 2 weeks ago, IL was no where near the top 5. To start the year, Rutgers was in the top 20, then fell like a rock and is now climbing back up. It's a small sliver of hope for Iowa fans. Even good teams slump, and sometimes can't seem to beat their shadows, but they typically bounce back. Iowa is still very capable of that. You want this team playing it's best basketball in March, not really right now. So, that gives me at least a sliver of hope.

Yeah I was thinking pretty generous based on the currently skid.
the difference is Iowa is losing to high net teams, a lot of these other teams around them are losing Q2 and Q3 games. One small benefit of playing in the B1G this season. Creighton losing Providence and Georgetown hurts them more than losing to Indiana and it should.

You know a lot about the other top 29 teams to be able to state that as fact.

My take is that we've lost 4 of our last 5. Regardless of what the other top 29 teams are doing, its nothing more than an opinion, and I don't see him being that wrong. I get that teams have to be ranked somewhere and that Q1, Q2, and Q3 losses should be somewhat relevant, but IMO regardless of who you're losing to we've won 1 of our last 5 games. If we snap out of it, and go on another win streak, then we'll deserve the ranking, but I'm a firm believer that rankings should be as much about how your currently playing as they should be about what you did earlier in the season and right now we're simply not playing like a good team.

the difference is Iowa is losing to high net teams, a lot of these other teams around them are losing Q2 and Q3 games. One small benefit of playing in the B1G this season. Creighton losing Providence and Georgetown hurts them more than losing to Indiana and it should.

I agree that Creighton losing to Providence and Georgetown should hurt more than losing to Indiana, and I'd 100% buy in to that if we just lost to Indiana. But since 1/21 we've lost to Indiana twice, Illinois, and OSU so IMO, and only my opinion, we rightfully belong below Indiana and above MSU. But I'll be the first to admit I'm being harder on them than the voters. I guess I see it as regardless what the other ranked programs are doing, we've won once in 20 days and I just don't see that being OK for a ranked team, regardless of who they're playing. I'd take issue with it if it was any other team in Iowa's position regardless of who those losses were against.

2 weeks ago, TOSU wasn't anywhere near a 1 seed. 2 weeks ago, IL was no where near the top 5. To start the year, Rutgers was in the top 20, then fell like a rock and is now climbing back up. It's a small sliver of hope for Iowa fans. Even good teams slump, and sometimes can't seem to beat their shadows, but they typically bounce back. Iowa is still very capable of that. You want this team playing it's best basketball in March, not really right now. So, that gives me at least a sliver of hope.
Yes, IF, THE tourney is 64 or even 32 teams. Remember, March Madness can always be shortened to fewer teams, even in a bubble. If we don't start playing better, there might not be a March for us. Just saying.

Well said. And Rutgers had injury issues as well.

I agree that Creighton losing to Providence and Georgetown should hurt more than losing to Indiana, and I'd 100% buy in to that if we just lost to Indiana. But since 1/21 we've lost to Indiana twice, Illinois, and OSU so IMO, and only my opinion, we rightfully belong below Indiana and above MSU. But I'll be the first to admit I'm being harder on them than the voters. I guess I see it as regardless what the other ranked programs are doing, we've won once in 20 days and I just don't see that being OK for a ranked team, regardless of who they're playing. I'd take issue with it if it was any other team in Iowa's position regardless of who those losses were against.
IL and TOSU are top 10 teams. No teams get punished for losing games like that. They do for losses to Indiana though, and Iowa fell like a rock in the AP.

IL and TOSU are top 10 teams. No teams get punished for losing games like that. They do for losses to Indiana though, and Iowa fell like a rock in the AP.

Like I said, I'm being much harder on them then the voters, but I still question how we are even a top 25 at this point. I've not given up on this team or this season and think they belong in the top 25 if they can right the ship and snap out of the funk. That said, I still don't see them as a top 25 team at this point in the season.

I understand a team doesn't get punished that severely for losses to two top 10 teams. As I said though my issue is they've gone 1-4 the past 3 weeks. IF this were the beginning of the season and a team started 1-4 I'd be absolutely shocked to see them ranked. And while I understand giving credit for body of work, and not necessarily punishing a team for losing to top 10 opponents, I'm not sure who we've beat up to this point that gives us the benefit of the doubt to those doing the voting.

Am I glad we're still ranked? Absolutely. I'm just trying to look at it from a neutral standpoint, and if it was another team in Iowa's position and we were having a good season and trying to crack the top 25 I think I'd be pissed that they were still ranked where they were.

Like I said, I'm being much harder on them then the voters, but I still question how we are even a top 25 at this point. I've not given up on this team or this season and think they belong in the top 25 if they can right the ship and snap out of the funk. That said, I still don't see them as a top 25 team at this point in the season.

I understand a team doesn't get punished that severely for losses to two top 10 teams. As I said though my issue is they've gone 1-4 the past 3 weeks. IF this were the beginning of the season and a team started 1-4 I'd be absolutely shocked to see them ranked. And while I understand giving credit for body of work, and not necessarily punishing a team for losing to top 10 opponents, I'm not sure who we've beat up to this point that gives us the benefit of the doubt to those doing the voting.

Am I glad we're still ranked? Absolutely. I'm just trying to look at it from a neutral standpoint, and if it was another team in Iowa's position and we were having a good season and trying to crack the top 25 I think I'd be pissed that they were still ranked where they were.
If they ranked Iowa based solely on what Iowa has done this year, maybe they wouldn't be ranked. But instead they rank them based on what they've done compared to everyone else. In order to drop them lower, they would have to move up teams that have a worse resume. The world doesn't revolve around Iowa. What other teams do matter too.

If they ranked Iowa based solely on what Iowa has done this year, maybe they wouldn't be ranked. But instead they rank them based on what they've done compared to everyone else. In order to drop them lower, they would have to move up teams that have a worse resume. The world doesn't revolve around Iowa. What other teams do matter too.
Exactly. You have to look at what their peers are doing. Texas Tech, Creighton, USC, Wisconsin, San Diego State, Layola, Bama, Houston, Colgate... all teams in our neighborhood, they all have worse losses than Iowa and none of them have the # of Q1 games either. Iowa is pretty much in the right spot as far as I'm concerned. They lose tonight tho, I think we're in big big trouble.

Like I said from the get go, I'm pleasantly shocked were rated this high and would rather be sitting where we are as opposed to where I think we should be. But were both entitled to our opinions and your right, the world doesn't revolve around Iowa, but as an Iowa fan I can also keep things in perspective and disagree that at this moment (based on the last 3 weeks) that we are not playing like a top 25 team. If you've seem anything the last 3 weeks different then that's awesome and your much more optimistic then I am.

Latest posts