Iowa Can Still Win The West!

I like your optimism, but I could see Iowa’s only remaining win being Nebraska, and that is a toss up at best.

Some fans are putting too much stock in beating Northwestern. They are one of the few teams that we can honestly say is worse than Iowa is right now.

The Iowa offense will rear its ugly head again. It is what it is right now, and beating the Wildcats is not something to use to predict future success (at least based on what we have seen so far this season).
I like your pessimism, but aside from the bad ISU loss (which should've been a victory), Mich, Ill, and OSU are good teams. Yes, Iowa has a terrible offense and that dead horse has been beaten to a pulp. If the offensive line can protect somewhat better, and open up some running lanes, I don't think anyone Iowa plays is as good as the three big ten teams that beat them already, including the 9-6 loss to Illinois (not exactly a blowout). I do not expect Iowa to beat Purdue but you never know.

Yes, NW is bad, but Iowa throttled them. I think it's also a mistake to underestimate Ill, OSU, and Mich.... arguably the three best teams in the conference.

I like your pessimism, but aside from the bad ISU loss (which should've been a victory), Mich, Ill, and OSU are good teams. Yes, Iowa has a terrible offense and that dead horse has been beaten to a pulp. If the offensive line can protect somewhat better, and open up some running lanes, I don't think anyone Iowa plays is as good as the three big ten teams that beat them already, including the 9-6 loss to Illinois (not exactly a blowout). I do not expect Iowa to beat Purdue but you never know.

Yes, NW is bad, but Iowa throttled them. I think it's also a mistake to underestimate Ill, OSU, and Mich.... arguably the three best teams in the conference.

We got throttled by much better teams vs. Mich and OSU. But if the offense would have even gotten out of bed, we would have beaten ISU and Ill. Here's hoping the offense can carry some weight over the next 5 games.

Not sure what the rest of the season has to offer, but I would rather be unrealistically optimistic than realistically pessimistic.

I like your optimism, but I could see Iowa’s only remaining win being Nebraska, and that is a toss up at best.

Some fans are putting too much stock in beating Northwestern. They are one of the few teams that we can honestly say is worse than Iowa is right now.

The Iowa offense will rear its ugly head again. It is what it is right now, and beating the Wildcats is not something to use to predict future success (at least based on what we have seen so far this season).

My optimism?

My post was tongue-in-cheek. I don't believe Iowa can win out for a second.

Leistikow said a few minutes ago that IL would have to lose 3 out of 4. I'm too lazy to do the math.

He is right. The tie breakers, no matter who the three way tie is with, goes to Illinois.

Frankly, while going to Indy is always a cool thing, getting ass-raped by either Michigan or OSU again doesn't sound that appealing. So, maybe just finish strong, fly to Tampa and win a decent bowl, and start thinking about a softer schedule and a lot of returning pieces for next season

Leistikow said a few minutes ago that IL would have to lose 3 out of 4. I'm too lazy to do the math.
Yes, that’s the tiebreaker to go to the championship game. I’m just talking about being recognized by the Big Ten as a West champion.

You know how the Big Ten likes to pass out trophies. lol

He is right. The tie breakers, no matter who the three way tie is with, goes to Illinois.

Frankly, while going to Indy is always a cool thing, getting ass-raped by either Michigan or OSU again doesn't sound that appealing. So, maybe just finish strong, fly to Tampa and win a decent bowl, and start thinking about a softer schedule and a lot of returning pieces for next season
Again, I’m not talking about going to Indy. Hell I don’t want that embarrassment.

Some of you are taking this thread WAY too serious. No way in hell does Iowa win out and I’m sort of poking fun of how the Big Ten recognizes “champions”.

Some of you are taking this thread WAY too serious. No way in hell does Iowa win out and I’m sort of poking fun of how the Big Ten recognizes “champions”.
We kinda thought that last year but no one else was crazy enough to take on Michigan....

I swear I started this thread as a joke but Illinois is getting smoked at home against MSU.

I didn’t think Iowa would beat Purdue but they did. This West division could turn into a real mess.

Last edited:
I don’t want to face OSU or Michigan again. I want an invite to the crap bowl we get if we win again and call it a season.

You can't Michigan or Ohio St if you don't play them......over and over again. Doesn't mean you will beat them either or get rolled, but we can beat Michigan. Let's win out and have Illinois stumble a couple more times.

This is funny and sad at the same time. Unless a miracle happens and Illinois beats Michigan the West champ is going to have at least 3 losses and there are scenarios it could be a 4 loss team.

But I also look at this and get pissed off over at that Illinois loss again. It wouldn't have taken much to win that game and I still feel that Iowa is the best of this trash division.

capture.jpg

I swear I started this thread as a joke but Illinois is getting smoked at home against MSU.

I didn’t think Iowa would beat Purdue but they did. This West division could turn into a real mess.
Too late.

Its seems almost certain that the West winner will have three conference losses. It is even possible that no one does better than 5-4.

If Purdue can beat Illinois this coming weekend then the shit show is on. Illinois aint beating Michigan in the Big House limping in on a 2-game losing streak. So, count Illinois at 5-4.

That leaves the door open for Iowa, Minny, or Wisky to win out and go. Looking at the schedules, I don't see anyone winning out, so this thing could turn into a 5-way slap fight with a math department needed to untie the knot.

Latest posts