Iowa calls 3 timeouts...19 sec

Goofs/Twin Cities writers still having some butthurt over it:

So Iowa then won the "classy" game 2-1? Going for 2 up 26 in the 4th and burning 3 straight TOs after PJ's calling of a TO to try to score a meaningless TD against backups? Here's a thought...instead of whining about a team trying to to extend a 26 pt. lead to a 28 pt. lead either (A) keep the game somewhat close or (B) keep them out of the end zone on the 2 pt. conversion. IMO it was nothing more than a lesson in humility aimed at the Gophers...unfortunately it missed its mark as PJ was too busy rowing his boat.
Minnesota’s effort was bush league. That's on them, and on Fleck. It reminded me of that 55-0 game from the Shonn Greene era.

Last edited:

Former Minnesota coach Jerry Kill blasts current head coach P.J. Fleck over antics​

And didn't Fleck go after other teams recruits who had already signed a letter of intent???
Kill seems like a straight shooter. If he concludes that PJ Fleck has changed for the worse as a person and given the cold shoulder to people who helped him along the way that's good enough for me.

IMO, the really strange thing about the 3 timeouts and then the comments is that Kirk comes from the Hayden Fry school where you never, ever give a future opponent any reason whatsoever to hold something against you that might motivate them down the road. For the most part Kirk has kept to this philosophy and this is the most extreme departure from this that I remember.

That said, Fleck started it and it seems he need to learn to curb his enthusiasm.

If nothing else, it's good for the rivalry.

Go Hawks - and I'm glad next year's game will be in Iowa City.....

IMO, the really strange thing about the 3 timeouts and then the comments is that Kirk comes from the Hayden Fry school where you never, ever give a future opponent any reason whatsoever to hold something against you that might motivate them down the road. For the most part Kirk has kept to this philosophy and this is the most extreme departure from this that I remember.

That said, Fleck started it and it seems he need to learn to curb his enthusiasm.

I'd disagree that he gave them any reason to hold a grudge and he was rightfully put in his place. Fleck may try to use it as motivation down the road but it only makes him look like a bigger douchebag. I mean seriously what kind of leader would rally his team, around an idiotic decision they made that only ended up blowing up in their face making look foolish. But then again its Fleck. I can see it now...

PJ: "Lets make them pay for calling 3 consecutive TO's against us after I called a BS TO with 19 seconds left in a game we were getting blown the F out of, when I wanted my starters to score so badly against their backups. Remember that day? Now go get your asses back on the field and get that garbage touchdown against their backups."

I'd disagree that he gave them any reason to hold a grudge and he was rightfully put in his place. Fleck may try to use it as motivation down the road but it only makes him look like a bigger douchebag. I mean seriously what kind of leader would rally his team, around an idiotic decision they made that only ended up blowing up in their face making look foolish. But then again its Fleck. I can see it now...

PJ: "Lets make them pay for calling 3 consecutive TO's against us after I called a BS TO with 19 seconds left in a game we were getting blown the F out of, when I wanted my starters to score so badly against their backups. Remember that day? Now go get your asses back on the field and get that garbage touchdown against their backups."
Haha I'd say that sums it up. Even a used car salesman like Fleck couldn't peddle that to kids and have it make any sense. If all he's bent on is KF going for 2 when it was 26-0 then oook but come on that's not a crazy lead. It probably felt that way to them as bad as they were sucking but still what kind of mercy is OSU gonna have on a team in that situation? None... Why should anyone else?

More like hundreds of fans if he's talking about their stadium, the ten of thousands of fans are the Iowa fans that snap up all the gopher tickets. And your right, next year it will be 80,000 plus Iowa fans in Iowa City.

Last edited: