Iowa better have a pass rush against Rutgers next week.

AreWeThereYet

Quarterback McClane Carter is a senior transfer came up through Texas Tech and Tyler JC. He started at Tyler JC in 2016 as a redshirt freshman, passing for 3,226 yards and 30 touchdowns in just nine games. He transferred to Texas Tech in 2017, served as a backup and started a game toward the end of the year. He was slated to be the starter in 2018, but was injured early in the first game. He then transferred to Rutgers for his senior year.

Iowa better have a pass rush against Rutgers next week. McClane Carter will try to air it out if Iowa lets him. He is interception prone, but if Iowa lets him get comfortable back there he will be trouble.

It's hard to say what Rutgers will bring this year. I'm not saying they are going to be good, but with a serviceable quarterback they might have a chance in a few of their games.

well Rutgers had jNW beat last year until a late td drive. at iowa city the hawks should win but i never can tell about turnovers drops and missed tackles.

Rutgers quarterback was awful last year. I mean utterly hopelessly awful. I'm not saying they will be world beaters, but it's a massive upgrade. If Iowa sits back with their bend but don't break defense, Rutgrs new quarterback has a chance to make this a game.

Rutgers has a big offensive line and good running backs. This is a good challenge for the defense. That being said, they don't do the quick passing game that Miami ran...they like to throw it down field. Our DL will have some opportunities to get to the passer in this game for sure. It's intriguing...as I thought, after a horrific start against UMASS, they really played physical football on offense. I think Ash is trying to finally establish an identity of being an uber physical team...but the issue is they have huge tackles, but they don't move that well unless it's straight ahead.

It's like any team in the B10...if you turn it over and don't execute...you are in for a dogfight.

Once again...it's a process of continuing to get better...we have to come to play and throw the 20point favorite crap out the window.

Rutgers is a better team than what we saw last Saturday without a doubt. They have good backs that are quick, and have a burner at wide receiver.

Rutgers does not match up well against the Hawks. How Rutgers won is because their offensive line manhandled the UMass defensive front 7, forcing UMass into man coverage on the edges. Rutgers spread them out, and either threw the vertical on the edges or ran draws up the middle. That worked against UMass but I promise you will not remotely come close to doing that against us. We will stop the run with our front 4, force Rutgers into a whole bunch of 3rd and 6+, and sit back in our cover 2 zone and watch the QB, who is not nearly as good as the Miami QB, force it into windows.

Remember the recipe to beat the Hawks: smart QB who does not make bad decisions, a QB who can use his legs, quick WR's that put pressure on our LB's to cover, and a team that dinks and dunks and is adept at putting together lengthy drives of 10 plus plays. Rutgers has none of those things. Oh, that is not to mention the defense, that will not be able to stand up to our OL and will have to blitz, repeatedly, to stop us.

What I see happening is we come out and punch them in the mouth, get up a couple of scores, force them into a bunch of mistakes and then take the air out of the ball. I think the coaches will want to limit the number of plays in this one as well to get ready for ISU.

Rutgers defense might actually be worse against the run than Miami of Ohio. Last year they were second to last in the big ten in rush defense at 215 yards a game. UMass had 183 yards on them.

d2fq7g6-c7c28832-e99d-42a6-b7c3-fc1e39ce837c.jpg

Carter after seeing AJ coming at him.

Iowa 42
Rutgers 21

Latest posts