Iowa BB - All-time **** and Vinegar Team

SwirlinLingerie

The other all-time thread got me thinking. What about an all-time **** and vinegar squad?

PG - Jeff Moe
SG - Chris Kingsbury
SF - Kent Hill
PF - Chris Street
C - Jake Jaacks

I had thought about putting Settles in there instead of Street. Tough call.

That would be a fun team to watch.

Perhaps my favorite Hawkeye basketball memory of all time is Kent Hill popping Todd Jadlow in the face at Assembly Hall. Jaacks and Kingsbury were dirty...Hill was tough.

Dude you cannot leave Eddie Horton off this team. He beat up the entire wrasslin team in the ped mall single handedly.

I struggled with that. Horton for Jaacks? You're right. Jaacks was more of a punk.

Horton put Jay Burson in a halo and ended his career. Not saying that's a good thing - unfortunate incident as I recall (but not dirty).

Revised.

PG - Jeff Moe
SG - Chris Kingsbury
SF - Kent Hill
PF - Chris Street
C - Eddie Horton

I struggled with that. Horton for Jaacks? You're right. Jaacks was more of a punk.

Horton put Jay Burson in a halo and ended his career. Not saying that's a good thing - unfortunate incident as I recall (but not dirty).

Revised.

PG - Jeff Moe
SG - Chris Kingsbury
SF - Kent Hill
PF - Chris Street
C - Eddie Horton

Actually I'd put Horton and Jaacks in and remove Street. Chris was Mr Hustle...but he played a pretty clean game. These guys would get into your grill.
Either way, lots of elbows, jersey pulling & hip pointers in this crowd. If they were on the floor at the rec center...I'd pass on "next".

Yeah, the "General," Bobby Knight, taught his players that if the five seconds were running out on an out of bounds play, just toss it in the face of the opposing player. I think he got Lohaus with that ploy once as well. Hill, definitely took umbrage and flipped a jab into Jadlow's face. Good times.

Any room for Les Jepsen on this team? I seem to remember Les doing some pretty good elbow-swinging after clearing a rebound.. That was a long time ago, so maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Any room for Les Jepsen on this team? I seem to remember Les doing some pretty good elbow-swinging after clearing a rebound.. That was a long time ago, so maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

I think Les could see some minutes, but I think he was only guilty of being "gangly" and his "elbows of death" were more of a side effect of that.

I'm going to throw in Alvin Robinson coming off the bench. He was fairly calm, but he supposedly wore a t-shirt under his jersey because of a knife scar(s). He wasn't mean, but he would be someone I would want on my side if things were starting to get physical.

I have never heard about that before. What was the reasoning? Sounds comical.:)
The legend is the basketball team and wrestling team got into a scuffle. One wrestler went after Horton and he took care of him. Ed then said, 'send 2 next time'.

The legend is the basketball team and wrestling team got into a scuffle. One wrestler went after Horton and he took care of him. Ed then said, 'send 2 next time'...They did, and it still wasn't enough...and then Ed turned green and killed everyone on the Ped Mall...

Fixed: No charge

Forgot about the ending. Thanks! :)

Ha. Actually it was more than just a little scuffle on the ped mall. Several players from both teams were involved, and IIRC the basketball team was ranked No. 1 and the wrestling team No. 2, or vice versa. My recollection is that the wrestlers ended up having to run into a club or some establishment for protection. The basketball team, as I recall, had some guys who could fend for themselves, Eddie chief among them.

I was a reporter at the time and assigned to get quotes from Tom Davis. He pretty much laughed it off and the athletic department generally swept it under the rug. Don't think there were ever any repercussions, at least any announced publicly.

I've wondered how a similar incident would be handled today.

Latest posts