Iowa Basketball vs. Iowa Football???

Who makes you more depressed?

• Iowa Basketball

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Iowa Football

Votes: 18 94.7%

• Total voters

HawkIowa44

Which Hawkeye team is more depressing to watch with the least amount of "I feel good about the future" and why?

Hawkeye Basketball or Hawkeye Football?

None of the above, I enjoy watching all 3 teams. Add an option for none of the above please.

Last edited:
As long as KF is head coach, this team cannot be successful. Fran will get this team there. I feel very good about the recruits we have coming in. If Aaron White is seriously injured like I think he is, we are screwed for this year, but that ain't Fran's fault.

Where's the both are difficult to watch category?

Coaching is a big problem with both teams. Some of these efforts would've been, IMO, nipped in the bud with proper coaching. Coach's decisions on players seeing action in general. Recruiting is a big issue for both coaches.

I do not get depressed over either team. I would say that both teams can get things turned around with there current coaches, but they will need to bring in better talent and the Coaches and Player's will need to work much harder to get to the level that they want to be.

Funny thing is? As fans we think that these player's an coaches from both program's owe us fan's something? They don't, all though they do appreciate our support.

I firmly believe these Player's and Coaches want to win every game, and I also believe they are aware of there short comings. I don't think we need to keep reminding them of them.

Talent is on Coaches and I also believe that are Coaches know they have to raise the level of recruiting and coaching to be at or near the top.

Have faith, we will see the results in there hard work, may take a year, but it will trend up.

Support this University! That is why I am a Hawkeye.

It is tough for long time Hawk fans like yours truly to live with where we are with Iowa football and basketball at this time. The football season was dismal; the basketball season has been inconsistent, with some great games played and then, well, some really poor performances. I will not give up on either program, but the 2015 football season will determine, IMHO, how long KF will be the head coach at Iowa. I do not think Fran is in any trouble. When the new president comes on board, s/he would be very reluctant to start wholesale firing of coaches or the AD. That just does not typically happen, since it would lead to a lot of controversy and that is not something the top exec wants to experience right out of the gate. Message boards have been very critical of KF and at times, Fran; however, we may not have a great read on where the influential fans stand on these two coaches.

I don't know why the people saying Iowa football isn't going to improve under Ferentz are getting thumbs down on their posts. If people can't realize that's the truth by now then they really have their head in the sand. Our recruiting class is one of the worst in the conference. The personnel decisions and playcalling have been laughably bad. Kirk's stubbornness is seriously harming the program.

Iowa basketball on the other hand is exactly what I expected this season. Despite some of the second half collapses to good teams we've avoided bad losses (until today). I also really like the most recent class Fran put together. Lots of athleticism and defense which we sorely need.

We've been ranked during the season this year and last in basketball. It's closing in on 5 years for Kirk. I feel like Fran needs two more classes.

Iowa football has no future under Kirk. Fran has reached his peak.

Gotta agree. The football program is stale, going downhill, and the game has passed our coach by.

The basketball program - Fran did well to dig us out of the ditch Lick left us in, but it'll be hard to get farther than where we are now without better talent, and we lose some key players after this year (White & Olaseni) so I have a hard time seeing where next year's team doesn't struggle.

But I still had to vote football.

If Iowa basketball will receive some much needed athleticism and defense with the upcoming class of recruits, then there better be a lot of non-starters/freshmen playing for Iowa next season (if some of this ISN'T Fran's fault).

This, IMO, will be a test of how good Fran is: what does Fran do with the 'better' athletes? Is there gonna be any strength training? Any defensive drills (other than zone)? Which offensive plays will be run and which PGs will be used?

I do not get depressed over either team. I would say that both teams can get things turned around with there current coaches, but they will need to bring in better talent and the Coaches and Player's will need to work much harder to get to the level that they want to be.

Funny thing is? As fans we think that these player's an coaches from both program's owe us fan's something? They don't, all though they do appreciate our support.

I firmly believe these Player's and Coaches want to win every game, and I also believe they are aware of there short comings. I don't think we need to keep reminding them of them.

Talent is on Coaches and I also believe that are Coaches know they have to raise the level of recruiting and coaching to be at or near the top.

Have faith, we will see the results in there hard work, may take a year, but it will trend up.

I gave u a thumbs up. Not becuz I agree with ur post, nor cuz I'm a nice guy ( I'm actually a total azz). It's cuz the world needs super-pos peppers to keep it dumbed down.

Keep postin, Les.

HawkeyeLeslie, are you the reincarnation of JackNicholson? PM me plz.

The football team has no chance with KF in charge. That ship has long since sailed. The jury is still technically out on Fran. If he makes the tourney again this year, that is really about all that you can expect out of Iowa basketball historically. There is very little track record of success beyond that at Iowa. Football has and can do much better than its current state.

Last edited:
Iowa's last final four I believe was around 1980. So that's been approximately 35 years. This is not a Fran problem, not a Lickliter problem, not an Alford problem, not a Davis problem, and not a Raveling problem. Thirty-five years indicates a much deeper, much more serious problem. Iowa Athletics will remain in the mediocrity gutter until the source of the problem is routed out.

It it starts at the foundation. I am not sure where that foundation lies but if I had to guess I would assume it's at the Board of Regents or if there are select individuals who hire the board of regents then these people need to feel the wrath of those who support Iowa athletics and want a successful athletic department.

Iowa is wealthy enough to spend the big bucks to get the best coaches, however the crusty turds at the base apparently could care less. People will change once they are made to feel VERY, VERY, VERY, uncomfortable. Until that happens we will always be little ole Iowa.

Latest posts