Iowa Basketball stuck in Meh

Bloomington is the closest thing to Iowa City in the Big10 and they have history to ride on.
Also have Indianapolis an hour away, Louisville 2 hours away, and Cincinnati 2 1/2 hours away. There are going to be a hell of a lot of fans and alumni within those 3 metros and a couple million people in population.

My hope is Connor comes on as a GA and Fran can last long enough to get him on staff as a jumping point to somewhere. I'm not saying he's going to jump to P6 basketball right away, but Connor is going to be a hell of a basketball coach at some point and I wouldn't be mad to see it be here. Obviously I'm not in his head and don't know what he wants out of life, but if I had to judge by what I've seen (escpecially in person during timeouts and warmups at the Minnesota game where he was hurt) and what people say, he's got the genes in his blood.

He's also got the Irish hellfire in him like his dad which is a quality I want, I don't give a shit what anyone says.
Fry, seriously you can't be serious given Iowa's reputation about coaching hires, especially with the tweet today about recruiting.

My hope is Connor comes on as a GA and Fran can last long enough to get him on staff as a jumping point to somewhere. I'm not saying he's going to jump to P6 basketball right away, but Connor is going to be a hell of a basketball coach at some point and I wouldn't be mad to see it be here. Obviously I'm not in his head and don't know what he wants out of life, but if I had to judge by what I've seen (escpecially in person during timeouts and warmups at the Minnesota game where he was hurt) and what people say, he's got the genes in his blood.

He's also got the Irish hellfire in him like his dad which is a quality I want, I don't give a shit what anyone says.
He is always under control with that fire which is better than his dad. Plus he goes nose to nose with anyone on the court.

Seems like a lot of Iowa fans move away from Iowa.
You are also correct that Iowa City is a small town and can't expect to fill a 15,000 seat arena nightly.

Bloomington is the closest thing to Iowa City in the Big10 and they have history to ride on.
Seems like a lot of Iowans move away from Iowa. Has been true for decades.

Also it seems like parents have to have kids in training programs akin to being olympians or concert pianists, so with work, kids, and big TVs that show your game every week, it's tough to get to games, I would imagine.

For years my old college roommates and buddies etc would come back for the thursday saturday home and homes twice a year like it used to be in the B10. It was easy to come in thursday leave sunday morning 3 nights 2 games and sometimes a wrestling match. Not worth it for us to fly in with the way the b10 schedules these days. I am absolutely sure locals struggle with the inconsistent scheduleing and times. Any drive home after a late weeknight game thats over an hour in winter conditions a total pain in the arse.

Do you actually watch Iowa games? I mean, hot takes are great and everything, but you have to be trolling.
thought this might be a good time to go back and look at my "stuck in Meh" post I made in November And yes Fryowa I do watch the games
I must admit I may have overstated our status as Meh but it's possible we will still beat some teams if we have good shooting nights
I guess my original post was more about the tenure of McCaffrey. Over the years at Iowa he has not been a good recruiter, not been a good defensive coach and as a result has not fared well in the tournament. He has had 2 POY and still couldn't get past the first weekend
I would submit that no other program in the Big Ten with the possible exception of Northwestern would have retained him for 12 years with his level of success???
In any event this looks like a team that wont be playing in March and at this point looks to be even worse in Fran's 14th year. I expect that to be his last. The one thing that loses coaching jobs is empty seats
With Barta leading the way I suspect the future doesn't look any better with a change. Iowa with its low pressure and low bar of expectations is more of an attraction to a coach looking to find a place to retire than to build a program

thought this might be a good time to go back and look at my "stuck in Meh" post I made in November And yes Fryowa I do watch the games
I must admit I may have overstated our status as Meh but it's possible we will still beat some teams if we have good shooting nights
I guess my original post was more about the tenure of McCaffrey. Over the years at Iowa he has not been a good recruiter, not been a good defensive coach and as a result has not fared well in the tournament. He has had 2 POY and still couldn't get past the first weekend
I would submit that no other program in the Big Ten with the possible exception of Northwestern would have retained him for 12 years with his level of success???
In any event this looks like a team that wont be playing in March and at this point looks to be even worse in Fran's 14th year. I expect that to be his last. The one thing that loses coaching jobs is empty seats
With Barta leading the way I suspect the future doesn't look any better with a change. Iowa with its low pressure and low bar of expectations is more of an attraction to a coach looking to find a place to retire than to build a program
Lol. Fran ain’t losing his job next year.