Iowa Basketball Knocks Off Badgers

Trying to remember what movie it was where the character falls out of the plane without a parachute and somehow survives.
Well I don't think beating Wisky is that great a survive. Or that we should have survived. Should beat them at home. They are 5-5 in their last ten and sinking like a stone. They squeaked by Minny 61-59 and if Minny hit better than 39% of FT's that might have been another loss. Wanted them to beat them more easily but they always have some trouble with Wisky's style. Not beat them down like Rutgers but should have been up by 8 and hold them off by 4 or 6 and not need OT.

A win is a win but still. They should have finished Indiana off. PSU did it at Indiana a few days later, didn't like being down 20 at home to Minny and if Garcia didn't go out we lose that game, and a struggle vs. Wisconsin which will probably end up with 12 losses and 8 of those to end the season. We have some players and Owen is everything we could have hoped so far. Not quite where I thought we would be. Should be a bit better. Probably should have swept Michigan and had either the Maryland game or the Indiana and be 17-9. A bit better defense, some better shot selection here and there, a few more FT's made we are.

“You are what your record says you are.”

I get my Dennis Green and Bill Parcell soundbites mixed up. This team has some really nice pieces and a promising future, but as a whole, it is just a .500 basketball team.

Point Break?
He doesn't fall out, he jumps out, clings on to Patrick Swayze aka Bode, puts a gun to his head and demands that he pull the chute. Not to be outdone in the All Balls, No Brains Department; Bode demands that he drop the gun and pull the cord himself or they both die, which he ultimately does with about a second to spare before they splat. Somehow he thought he could hang on to Bode with just one arm while holding a gun with a neckbreaker set on the chute????? Even with two arms bearhugging him it was a longshot for him to hold on when the chute opened.

That all said, all time-classic movie and that scene somehow made sense in the context of that movie. It rivals Roadhouse for best Swayze flick of all time.

“You are what your record says you are.”

I get my Dennis Green and Bill Parcell soundbites mixed up. This team has some really nice pieces and a promising future, but as a whole, it is just a .500 basketball team.
Slightly above .500, but I don't disagree with the point that the record speaks volumes. That said, they don't really have any bad losses. They have a couple gutsy wins, but really, they probably should have 1-2 more wins if they had closed out a couple games. The year has been very chalky for Iowa this year, which is why I expect they finish the season winning only 2 more games and then hopefully have a nice NIT run. This is almost exactly the type of year most of us thought it would be. But, the young players are better than I expected. Freeman at the top of that list.

Didn't see that coming. I did think Iowa had a chance against them due to how Wisky had been collapsing lately. But once Iowa got down to them I didn't think we'd come back like they did. Give the guys credit for fighting and not quitting. TP wasn't himself the first 5 plus mins of the game or so not even close. But he snapped out of it in 2nd half and crunch time. Couldn't be happier for that dude he deserves to have some good luck.

Didn't see that coming. I did think Iowa had a chance against them due to how Wisky had been collapsing lately. But once Iowa got down to them I didn't think we'd come back like they did. Give the guys credit for fighting and not quitting. TP wasn't himself the first 5 plus mins of the game or so not even close. But he snapped out of it in 2nd half and crunch time. Couldn't be happier for that dude he deserves to have some good luck.
I actually missed the first 10 minutes, but heard from the announcers that Perk was on the bench and Fran was not thrilled with him. Perk is usually a pretty focused and disciplined player, so just sounds like an off night to start with. He was near unstoppable in the second half and he was not going to be denied on that last drive.

He had another gear in the second half. If he can bring that the rest of the year, Iowa could scare some good teams. When he and Dix have their midrange game going, this team is damn good.

I actually missed the first 10 minutes, but heard from the announcers that Perk was on the bench and Fran was not thrilled with him. Perk is usually a pretty focused and disciplined player, so just sounds like an off night to start with. He was near unstoppable in the second half and he was not going to be denied on that last drive.

He had another gear in the second half. If he can bring that the rest of the year, Iowa could scare some good teams. When he and Dix have their midrange game going, this team is damn good.
Yeah it was way out of character for him to look how he did. Fran straight up benched him for Harding really early on. And Harding did pretty darn good. It was odd for sure but Fran didn't hesitate to do it.

Yeah it was way out of character for him to look how he did. Fran straight up benched him for Harding really early on. And Harding did pretty darn good. It was odd for sure but Fran didn't hesitate to do it.
Fran has some flaws as a bench coach. They all do. Its a lot of variables and guess work, but more often than not, Fran pushes the right buttons with the players he puts out on the court, and he knows how to motivate his team either through sitting them, getting T-ed up, or trusting them to stay on the court.

I still think his bench is too long at times and he is too worried about foul trouble, but overall, he is an above-average bench coach.

Fran has some flaws as a bench coach. They all do. Its a lot of variables and guess work, but more often than not, Fran pushes the right buttons with the players he puts out on the court, and he knows how to motivate his team either through sitting them, getting T-ed up, or trusting them to stay on the court.

I still think his bench is too long at times and he is too worried about foul trouble, but overall, he is an above-average bench coach.
He handled that as well as he could've that's for sure. Directly resulted in getting a W for it. TP is a mentally tough dude that's been around the block now. It's impossible to not love that kid so as tough as it was seeing him struggle early on seeing his play at the end of the game was everything.

The biggest issue with the current squad is that we are 5 games from the tourney and it still hasn't fully developed its identity. It started as Krike's team early, but since then there has been a rotation of guys that play well one night, and then disappear the next. Freeman has really asserted himself at times, and Perk has been good to great, but not consistently dominant. We have been spoiled most of the Fran tenure with some really dominant players that gave the team a clear identity and go-to star.

In my view, Fran should be shaping these last few games as putting the games in the hands of Perk and Freeman. That is the best identify this team has. Win the game inside of 15 feet on offense and play sticky enough D. Everyone else needs to chip in as they did with Wisconsin, but Iowa is not going to win much down the stretch with that schedule unless its two best players play like stars and the rest play like competent support pieces.

As to Tony’s documented response to being benched in the first half, he announced to the whole team at halftime in the locker room: “That’s on me.” Then, completely taking responsibility, he came out in the second half and took charge on both O and D. He trusted Fran. Period.

Latest posts