Iowa Basketball Enjoying First Week Being Back Together

I think it surprises some of these city kids when they come to Iowa City. They associate Iowa as being overwhelmingly white and rural, but once they spend some time here, they discover how many nice people live here and, especially in Iowa City, how diverse it is. Iowa is mocked as simply a flyover state, but, in fact, in a lot of ways, we are a well kept secret.

I think it surprises some of these city kids when they come to Iowa City. They associate Iowa as being overwhelmingly white and rural, but once they spend some time here, they discover how many nice people live here and, especially in Iowa City, how diverse it is. Iowa is mocked as simply a flyover state, but, in fact, in a lot of ways, we are a well kept secret.

It's too bad Iowa couldn't keep Steve King a secret. I'll admit, Iowa City, to many is a really special place. I was there in the early 80s and it always amazed me how culturally diverse it felt. Now, that was coming from someone from an small all white town...but Iowa City just had a vibe. Like when the Apartheid movement happened...the protesters came out of the woodwork...to raise hell with the administration for having investments in South Africa. I hope it hasn't lost that liberal slant...it's good to question the status quo / authority / etc.

Latest posts