Iowa Basketball Announces 5-Man, '20 Recruiting Class

Any obvious break out studs? No, not at first glance.....but I am not negative on this class. There is potential here I think.

Hawkeye coach Fran McCaffery talks about latest group:

LINK
Well the experts are not thrilled with them but of course 247 had Foster going to Iowa 100% so what do they know? I thought the comment from Ogundele was interesting about how Iowa got players to the NBA. Not sure where that came from?
Hypothetically if you put this class with the remnants of this years team which very much looks like a second division Big Ten team what will Fran's 11th Iowa team look like??

Iowa needs the twins to be better than advertised. JT will need help also. The guard recruits, who the heck knows how good they can be. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

What'd be more surprising? That this class is a big hit and has us rolling the next few yrs? Or that most of them flop and it's the beginning of the end of Frans tenure?

For the record I thought losing out on getting DJ Carton last yr witch lead to losing out on Foster this yr was the first domino... I'll have to be pleasantly surprised if this group does well to keep Fran above where we all want to be

A lot of raw talent and athleticism on lengthy bodies, if they continue to work hard and develop they at least have a chance at being pretty good IMO

Iowa needs the twins to be better than advertised. JT will need help also. The guard recruits, who the heck knows how good they can be. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

The twins only other offer was from Western Illinois. That's remarkably bad considering how many D1 teams there are.

What'd be more surprising? That this class is a big hit and has us rolling the next few yrs? Or that most of them flop and it's the beginning of the end of Frans tenure?

For the record I thought losing out on getting DJ Carton last yr witch lead to losing out on Foster this yr was the first domino... I'll have to be pleasantly surprised if this group does well to keep Fran above where we all want to be

If any of these guys end up being legitimate starters for a B1G team I'd be shocked.

Surface level it's a bit depressing. The argument that one of these players could turn into a Marble, or Aaron White type player doesn't really inspire. What were Iowa's highs during their time? Fran has had multiple all big10 players over the years, but the team never does anything memorable aside from a few upsets over highly ranked teams during the season.

They suck in the Big10 Tourney, and have been outclassed in the NCAA.

Until we get that next level player, especially at G, this is really the best we can expect.

If any of these guys end up being legitimate starters for a B1G team I'd be shocked.
Well one out of 5 seems like a legit shot. Ullis has good pedigree and size. Not sure how high of a ceiling he may have. But I like what he is to start with. The rest I'm just not sold on enough to say with any confidence they'll be difference makers

They will probably win their share of games, but the odds that they will be a great team that other teams dread playing doesn't seem very high. The next five or six years will probably be pretty average for Iowa basketball. To me, Fran makes to much money for average teams. I can see giving the guy a chance of five years, but he has proven to be just average or maybe below average. Anyway, its not his fault if he is just average. I'd take the money too if the athletic director was willing to give it to me.

The twins only other offer was from Western Illinois. That's remarkably bad considering how many D1 teams there are.
Recall that was out of high school. Apparently they have grown roughly 3 inches since then. Had they played out their prep season instead of signing with Iowa it’s possible they would have gotten better offers. According to reports Auburn was showing interest.

Surface level it's a bit depressing. The argument that one of these players could turn into a Marble, or Aaron White type player doesn't really inspire. What were Iowa's highs during their time? Fran has had multiple all big10 players over the years, but the team never does anything memorable aside from a few upsets over highly ranked teams during the season.

They suck in the Big10 Tourney, and have been outclassed in the NCAA.

Until we get that next level player, especially at G, this is really the best we can expect.
So you wouldn’t take an Aaron White or a Devyn Marble? That’s because their particular team wasn’t as successful as we would like? That argument doesn’t make sense to me. Personally I’d take as many of them as I could get. Ben Simmons didn’t make the tournament at LSU, I’d take him on my team though.

They will probably win their share of games, but the odds that they will be a great team that other teams dread playing doesn't seem very high. The next five or six years will probably be pretty average for Iowa basketball. To me, Fran makes to much money for average teams. I can see giving the guy a chance of five years, but he has proven to be just average or maybe below average. Anyway, its not his fault if he is just average. I'd take the money too if the athletic director was willing to give it to me.

I would argue that you need to be slightly better than average as a coach to get average results at Iowa. I would also argue that he's had slightly better than average results over the last 6-7 years (and that's with one god awful season in there). In my opinion, that means Fran is probably a little above average.

So you wouldn’t take an Aaron White or a Devyn Marble? That’s because their particular team wasn’t as successful as we would like? That argument doesn’t make sense to me. Personally I’d take as many of them as I could get. Ben Simmons didn’t make the tournament at LSU, I’d take him on my team though.

Yup and really, look at all these smaller schools who make runs into the Dance every year and people are like "look at all these athletes on these teams, how did these teams get them and Iowa can't get any of them... etc' ....well, kids like this class are that. That doesn't mean that these guys pan out ...i would say that the chances of hit are much less, but it's not like smaller schools don't produce great players on the reg. They do. You see them every single season in the dance. Schools like Davidson, Florida Gulf Coast, Loyola come to mind off the top of my head.

I am not trying to paint this class as anything special, on paper it doesn't appear to be....but there could be some players on it without a doubt.

The way I see it is this class is a strike against Fran's ability to bring in high profile players, regardless of how the players pan out. Take the twins for example. Even if they come in as freshman and play really well, it still doesn't mean Fran can recruit well. It just means he got lucky with some in state legacy recruits being late bloomers. It's one thing if we had a couple 4 stars on the ropes and Fran decided to back off because he wanted the twins more. If that were the case, it could be seen as a plus for Fran's recruiting abilities. But the truth is its either take the twins or take no one. In that situation, it doesn't matter how they pan out as far as the discussion on Fran's recruiting ability goes. Best case, he got lucky with some late bloomers. Worst case, he had to fill the class with warm bodies.

Well the experts are not thrilled with them but of course 247 had Foster going to Iowa 100% so what do they know? I thought the comment from Ogundele was interesting about how Iowa got players to the NBA. Not sure where that came from?
Hypothetically if you put this class with the remnants of this years team which very much looks like a second division Big Ten team what will Fran's 11th Iowa team look like??
That's okay if he confused our NBA history with Iowa State. He's signed now.

There was a college player back in the mid 1970's, Edgar Jones. Edgar was a tall, slender Sean Kemp/Dwight Howard type player who's unbelievable leaping ability helped him carve out a six or seven year NBA career. Edgar was also known as an airhead even among NBA airheads. Legend has it that he reported to Jerry Tarkanian at UNLV ready for duty when the fall semester started. Unfortunately he had enrolled at Nevada-Reno, now simply known as Nevada. Tark had to forward him to his correct school.

This story is only an urban legend and I question it's authenticity. Jones would have fit right in on those run and gun late seventies Running Rebel teams. It's hard to see Tark, always looking to stretch the boundary of every rule, not trying to find a way to get Jones into UNLV if he indeed did show up there by mistake.

The way I see it is this class is a strike against Fran's ability to bring in high profile players, regardless of how the players pan out. Take the twins for example. Even if they come in as freshman and play really well, it still doesn't mean Fran can recruit well. It just means he got lucky with some in state legacy recruits being late bloomers. It's one thing if we had a couple 4 stars on the ropes and Fran decided to back off because he wanted the twins more. If that were the case, it could be seen as a plus for Fran's recruiting abilities. But the truth is its either take the twins or take no one. In that situation, it doesn't matter how they pan out as far as the discussion on Fran's recruiting ability goes. Best case, he got lucky with some late bloomers. Worst case, he had to fill the class with warm bodies.
I completely disagree with that take. He wasn’t obligated to take the Murray’s. Sibley is still unsigned. As was Foster at the time. We could have saved the scholarships and hit the transfer market. They could look at a new batch of recruits that are unsigned, which isn’t unprecedented at all.

He’s been following them since they were young, he’s been watching them over the summer. He’s sticking his neck out on the line signing them as they are unranked and don’t have other high major offers. He definitely gets some credit if those kids are good.