Iowa at Northwestern road trip

No man just no, no NO!

For Thick Pizza/Stuffed/Traditional Chicago Style 'ZA in ChicagoLand area rankings are

1/1a/1b/1c Pequod's (traditional) 2207 N clybourn
The Art of Pizza (between Traditional and Stuffed) 3033 N Ashland
Burt's Place (Morton Grove? STUFFED)
Piero's Pizza (STUFFED Highland Park, IL 60035 at the corner of Roger Williams and Broadview, just east of GreenBay Road TAKEOUT ONLY)

if you can find this place, or get into Burt's and good luck doing either; this is what real Chicago Stlye STUFFED pizza is its one level thicker than the TRADITIONAL CHICAGO STYLE THICK/PAN pizza, and is old OLD OLD school i.e. pretty much DEAD or DYING art form! You must try them!

2. Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder 2221 N Clark (unique/eclectic! and if you dont know why; that's why you need to know why (THANKS YOGI BERRA! :) )also get a mediterranean bread once a salad once and an oven grinder once as your APPY and yes you will go here 3 times)

3. Giordano's (Chain, but trust me it is good and their thin is good too
see the link -- Chicago-style pizza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- halfway down you'll understand the difference between what i call TRADITIONAL CHICAGO STYLE and STUFFED)

FOR NEW YORK STLYE PIZZA but upscale and in the Neopolitan (SIC?) Style

1/1a COALFIRE 1321(ish) W Grand and Great Lake in like andersonville\
2. Spacca Napoli
3. Piece 1920 W north by the intersection W Damen and Milwaukee

No? ;)

Definitely not going to the burbs. Avoid them like the plague. Giordano's is no bueno and the least favorite of the chains. Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder is decent, but not my fave. I've heard Pequods's, but never been there. I'll have to give it a try.

I'll stop there as I'm not a fan of true NY style.

Or, depending on the adventure(and time you have) you want, you can try a different approach.....

How about take I-88 to IL 47, go north a few miles to Keslinger and take a right and go a short distance to the Elburn Metra Station(or a few miles farther east to La Fox)...you can get the schedule for Metra online. When you get downtown, hop on one of the CTA rides to Evanston(again, look online for the choices to the stadium, Metra may even have a ride there too). The walk to the station is quite short, one is a block away, the other three. This is a different approach, interesting and fun. I have done it with a group a few years ago, it was a blast.

Excellent suggestion, but go further east to Geneva. More frequent access to-from the city from there.

I used to live about 0.5 mile from Goose Island and Merkle's on Clark. I miss that area! If you're going to be there, it's a fun area to check out. Basically, it's right next to Wrigley.

Both bars are good Hawkeye bars on game day for sure. Parking is just a hit and miss in Evanston, but expect plenty of Iowa fans and a good time. Try Mustard's Last Stand if you like Chicago dogs right in front of stadium.

Always enjoy games in Evanston can ride the train up makes for a great day Iowa football in Chicago hard too beat.

Go Hawks.

I'm sorry, Sheagle, I love ya man, but this is questionable travel advice. It'll take Hawk fans coming from Iowa waaaaay out of their way. What they save on tolls, they'll burn in extra gas.
I-88 E --> I-294 N --> Dempster E --> I-94 N --> Old Orchard Rd --> Gross Point Rd --> Central St :)

Also, one "g" in Wrigley, brah. :eek::D

Or...stay on Dempster all the way...or take North Avenue...or...:)

I used to take your route, with slight variation, when using my parents' season tix. My last game at Dyche Stadium was the 1981 64-0 blowout by the Hawks! Poor Willy the Wildcat, he had to stay in the cage the entire game. Of course, when the NW cheerleading squad had to catch him to put him into the cage--only a score by NW would allow his release--Willy had to slow down to let them grab him. That's just how pathetic NW football was in the late-1970's/early-1980's.

Used to go to Hackney's on Harms. Get the solid block of onion rings. And used to tailgate on the field behind McGaw Hall (for season tix holders) and watch my Dad and his friends drink martinis or manhattans and wear plaid wool pants. Very cool.

Is there any cost to park in the lots you guys are talking about?

and BTW... AOP (Art of Pizza) is hands down the best for stuffed. I used to live a block away from there.. it was the best of times... and moving away was the worst.

2 years ago we just parked in a residential area near by and grilled and drank beer by ourselves. For free.
We took 88 an the construction was ridiculous (maybe after 88?).
Has that been finished?

Latest posts