Iowa and Texas

rider22

I´ve been thinking about the BCS polls and looking at the 3 polls that make it up and I noticed that Texas is not going to get much higher in the computers based on schedule they have remaining. If Iowa remains where they are in the computers, I don´t think Iowa has to pass Texas in the human polls to move ahead in the BCS(Texas and Iowa both go undefeated of course). If Iowa gets close to them like one spot behind I think that will be enough to move ahead of the Longhorns because of the computers. Does this seem plausible to you guys?

Possible. But not likely. We'd have to do some real damage the last four games to make that much noise in the human polls. Possible.

Its a real possibility. Texas has the advantage of an extra game to help them in the computer polls (it would presumably be an extra quality win). Texas likely won't jump up much higher points-wise in the human polls, but I can't really see Iowa going anywhere but up. That said, it is possible, but I think it is extremely unlikely.

Just hope for a Texas loss this weekend. That's the best thing.....outside of Iowa running the table. :)

If USC and Cincy lose, and TCU and BSU play a couple ugly games (or lose would be better), Iowa will make up enough ground in human polls to make it interesting but I don't think it would be enough.

If these teams start losing, Texas will move up in the computer rankings which will give them a boost.

Notice that right now #8 in the BCS is closer to #4 than #4 is to #3. There's a lot of ground to make up.

I would worry about USC if they win out, even with 1 loss. The Harris poll has them ranked 4 and Iowa 8. I hate looking ahead though. Iowa needs to win the next 4 games.

If Iowa could close the gap in both the harris and coaches polls to 4th behind texas.......

then 1+4+4=9 divide by 3 = 3

Iowa would jump texas for the third spot - so yes the hawks could do it......but they have to win out!

Last edited:
The key in the Harris and Coaches polls is not necessarily picking up spots but picking up votes, as they are based on the percentage of total votes possible. If the computer rankings were to remain the same we need to pick up a little over 2.5 points per ballot to pass Texas.

Last edited:
We have 3 weaker games in our final 4 so as long as we go undefeated plan on us ending up number 2 in the computer polls behind the SEC champion. I do think we can end up #4 in the final human polls but Texas will end up #2.

1. SEC champion
2. Texas
3. SEC runner up
4. Iowa

I am not sure if the computers will be able to push us high enough to overtake Texas but it could end up close. If nothing else we can play for an undeafeated season against a very well respected Pac-10 champion in the Rose Bowl (who will be favored over us) and win that for a chance at an AP title.

It all requires us to just win win win (and win win).

Look for LSU to play spoiner in the SEC and shake everything up. As an Iowa fan my second favorite team right now is LSU,PSU Az and (cough cough) ISU.

I don't know about that...Okie St. is like 15 and O$U isn't much higher...Texas will probably play in an additional game on top of the 5 they have left??? Two of which are Kansas who is 5-2 now and Texas A & M who will have 6 or 7 wins when they play....Out a site out mind for us?? I think there remaining schedule is better than our because of the extra games and the opponents...we need to go to the Rose Bowl...I'd hate to see us sitting and waiting to see if we go to the at-large game????? It could very easily become a trip to Disney again against the boys from the bayou...Go Hawks!! I don't want to see Geaux Tigers! Win Ugly baby....

Last edited:
I know that Bama is already ahead of us in the BCS but they are #2 in the computer polls and if they win this weekend against LSU then they will leap us in all the computer polls due to strength of schedule. Granted they are already ahead of us in the overall BCS but they could knock us back a lil bit in the computers which could mean USC will leap us overall. We will lose points in the computers the next 2 weeks playing such weak teams but can gain that all back with big flashy wins impressing the humans and then get the comps back on our side beating tOSU.

Latest posts