IOWA -6

Not a gambler but if I had to place a bet, I'm taking Iowa to cover for the following reasons:

Hawks at home and coming off a bye week
Michigan's 4th game in 4 weeks (MSU, Neb, NW, Iowa)
3 out of the 4 will have been on the road
Although the 3OT win gives momemntum, I believe the extended time on the field will help the hawks.

We're catching the Wolverines at the right time.

Not a gambler but if I had to place a bet, I'm taking Iowa to cover for the following reasons:

Hawks at home and coming off a bye week
Michigan's 4th game in 4 weeks (MSU, Neb, NW, Iowa)
3 out of the 4 will have been on the road
Although the 3OT win gives momemntum, I believe the extended time on the field will help the hawks.

We're catching the Wolverines at the right time.

I agree with this, I'd put my money on Iowa to cover the spread.

Both teams love to play close games. Michigan has now played a 3OT and a 4OT road game this year, with all but the MSU game within 3 points in the last minute of regulation. You would have to be insane to put money on this game.

I hear this all the time and have never received an explanation for what it means. Will the left tackle let his man go by as he ponders the OSU game?

Believe it or not, football is an emotional/mental game. If you're not taking your current opponent seriously and thinking about the next game, you're not going to be emotionally/mentally ready and you'll make mistakes and get you're *** kicked. This is how FCS schools beat FBS schools.

Toss-up for me. Michigan has been playing press coverage the last few weeks and blitzing, and it is working. That will work vs Iowa also. Gardener can be rattled with pressure, but Iowa lays back and does not pressure so he will get comfortable. Iowa needs to change it up a bit to surprise Blue. Big winds mean not passing going to north, so half the game will be locked down....I see it as Iowa 13 Michigan 12.

You haven't been paying attention this year if you think Iowa doesn't blitz. Don't use "coaching complaints" from 5 years ago when they're no longer accurate.

You haven't been paying attention this year if you think Iowa doesn't blitz. Don't use "coaching complaints" from 5 years ago when they're no longer accurate.

Iowa has blitzed more, but not on the level that Gardener saw the last few weeks vs MSU and NW, who came on virtually every passing play.

Iowa has blitzed more, but not on the level that Gardener saw the last few weeks vs MSU and NW, who came on virtually every passing play.

That statement is quite different than "Iowa lays back and does not pressure so he will get comfortable."

I think we'll see more blitzing this week.

If I was in Vegas I'd put some serious cheese on Michigan. I expect Iowa to win, but by 3. They are giving you 3 free points, easy money.
The first line I saw was -4, The opening line is more likely to be right than the flow of money. (A smart person told me this. Odds makers use science, gamblers use gut.) It's tough to score 4 points. Round down.

Last edited:
That statement is quite different than "Iowa lays back and does not pressure so he will get comfortable."

I think we'll see more blitzing this week.

Howard Griffin on BTN Live last nite said he has a feature on the Iowa lbers on the BTN pregame show...and he said that they do not blitz much but that enables them to go sideline to sideline to keep Gardener in front of them. ...he has done the film study so I suspect he knows what he is talking about. We blitz more than prior years but not as much as other programs.

Thing is we dont have to blitz much. Show blitz often and only do it half of those times. Need to make sure we hit him when we do blitz. Just get in his head.

Howard Griffin on BTN Live last nite said he has a feature on the Iowa lbers on the BTN pregame show...and he said that they do not blitz much but that enables them to go sideline to sideline to keep Gardener in front of them. ...he has done the film study so I suspect he knows what he is talking about. We blitz more than prior years but not as much as other programs.
If Iowa doesn't blitz, a lot, Michigan will pick apart the defense - like they did to NW last week after NW stopped blitzing. Hope the Hawks win.

I think this gm is going to be a defensive struggle. I would not suprise me if either tm could not score more than two TDs.

Ball security will determine the outcome........as is almost always the case in a pick 'em game. Really cold weather is an unknown for both teams. A couple of fumbles in the wrong place on the field and you can stick a fork in either team.

If Iowa doesn't blitz, a lot, Michigan will pick apart the defense - like they did to NW last week after NW stopped blitzing. Hope the Hawks win.

If we get HALF the pick opportunities NW had and convert half of those--i.e., 5 to 6 "pick" chances, convert 2 or 3--or frankly, if NW had converted just 1 or 2 of them, there ISN'T any OT for Michigan last week.

We don't need to blitz "a lot". We need to pick out spots carefully and execute well enough in those spots to disrupt their offense. Nothing more.

Latest posts