Iowa -5?

From ESPN.com:

Michigan made an impressive run to the national championship game last March, but its Big Ten campaign was not without big hiccups. Much like they did this season, the Wolverines rolled through the first half of the 2012-13 season, going 7-1 straight up (SU)/6-2 against the spread (ATS) in their first eight conference games. Once they started playing rematches, however, the Wolverines struggled mightily in the back half of conference play. They covered only one point spread in their last 10 tries. And frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if John Beilein's overachieving squad goes through another second-half point spread slump in 2014.
After winning its first 11 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Iowa has lost each of its past two at home. First, Michigan State beat the Hawkeyes by a single bucket in overtime, then Ohio State shot lights-out against them earlier this week. But Iowa has been a point spread machine throughout the Fran McCaffery era: 36-15 ATS in their past 51 games overall, and 37-16 ATS in their past 53 at home. That's a streak I'm not looking to stand in front of against a "fat and happy" Michigan squad coming off a 29-point throttling of Nebraska.
ATS pick: Iowa 68, Michigan 63

From ESPN.com:

Michigan made an impressive run to the national championship game last March, but its Big Ten campaign was not without big hiccups. Much like they did this season, the Wolverines rolled through the first half of the 2012-13 season, going 7-1 straight up (SU)/6-2 against the spread (ATS) in their first eight conference games. Once they started playing rematches, however, the Wolverines struggled mightily in the back half of conference play. They covered only one point spread in their last 10 tries. And frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if John Beilein's overachieving squad goes through another second-half point spread slump in 2014.
After winning its first 11 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Iowa has lost each of its past two at home. First, Michigan State beat the Hawkeyes by a single bucket in overtime, then Ohio State shot lights-out against them earlier this week. But Iowa has been a point spread machine throughout the Fran McCaffery era: 36-15 ATS in their past 51 games overall, and 37-16 ATS in their past 53 at home. That's a streak I'm not looking to stand in front of against a "fat and happy" Michigan squad coming off a 29-point throttling of Nebraska.
ATS pick: Iowa 68, Michigan 63

wow, didn't know Iowa b-ball was so good ATS.

Good info, but those ATS streaks can be twisted to get any results a guy wants. But maybe you're right and that's the angle.

I'm a huge optimist, but after watching the last couple weeks, I just don't see any way Iowa wins this game. That being said, I was anxious to see the spread because while I gamble a lot, I'm not very good at it. I thought if Iowa comes out favored, I'll feel a lot better about winning because If I were to bet on it (which I won't), I would take Michigan giving up to maybe 10 points.

Vegas thrives on idiots like me and if it looks like a sure thing, which Michigan does in this case, you're usually best to go the other way.

Went to 5.5 this morning so money is actually coming in on Iowa which shoots my theory all to hell.

Come on hawks!!!

Good info, but those ATS streaks can be twisted to get any results a guy wants. But maybe you're right and that's the angle.

I'm a huge optimist, but after watching the last couple weeks, I just don't see any way Iowa wins this game. That being said, I was anxious to see the spread because while I gamble a lot, I'm not very good at it. I thought if Iowa comes out favored, I'll feel a lot better about winning because If I were to bet on it (which I won't), I would take Michigan giving up to maybe 10 points.

Vegas thrives on idiots like me and if it looks like a sure thing, which Michigan does in this case, you're usually best to go the other way.

Went to 5.5 this morning so money is actually coming in on Iowa which shoots my theory all to hell.

Come on hawks!!!

side note: what part of KC do you live in? i have a good friend moving down there.

@meatman...Spring Hill, which is on the far south side (I'm on 199th). I work in Overland Park. Always looking for more Hawk fans around here.

wow, didn't know Iowa b-ball was so good ATS.

With many of the threads and posts on here of late it's hard to know Iowa's basketball team is any good or Iowa's players have any skill. Our team, players and coaches are still very good...despite the criticisms which appear on Hawkeye Nation. Even with the 2 home losses we're still #11 on Kenpom. The sky is not falling and the Hawks are still a top 16 level basketball team.

I think I would take the money line on that if I bet... But it excited me because I know Vegas is smarter than I and they like us to win!!

I thought -5.5 was easy money. Given it's at CHA... that's worth about 20. I see the boys getting the wheels turning and opening this one up for a comfy win.

Latest posts