Iowa #22 in the CFB playoffs

We suffer through this together Hawkeye fans but we’ll get through it.

You mean the second CFB playoff ranking? The first one was last week. Kinda surprising nonetheless considering we haven't been ranked in either the AP or Coaches polls for three weeks.

Iowa is ranked more for TV matchup perception, not that they are really the 22nd best team in the country. Assuming Iowa wins the next 3 games and make the BIG championship. It's better if that matchup has a ranked West champion. Plus, Iowa would be in line to play an SEC team (Ole Miss) is the Capital One bowl, so a ranked matchup on Jan 1st would be preferred too.

Iowa is ranked more for TV matchup perception, not that they are really the 22nd best team in the country. Assuming Iowa wins the next 3 games and make the BIG championship. It's better if that matchup has a ranked West champion. Plus, Iowa would be in line to play an SEC team (Ole Miss) is the Capital One bowl, so a ranked matchup on Jan 1st would be preferred too.
Uh huh. That is what they do with their time. I am sure the committee said, "ya know Iowa is pretty terrible, like maybe Division II terrible, but hey, let's juice them into our rankings because they might win 2 or 3 more games and we don't want to embarrass OSU or Michigan by having them play an unranked team. Everyone agree with that super duper logic?"

"But couldn't Nebraska also win the West? Should we rank them too?"

[uproarious laughter by all]

Had this argument with a friend. I rank Iowa just outside the 30th best team in America. My friend said: "What about the Defense". Ok, defense is in the top ten. Offense is like 130th. No wins against a top 25 team. Iowa is not a top 25 team. This is to prop up the Big Ten title game. Their body of work is substandard, end of story. Win out, play a one score game in the title game, I would put them in the top 25 at that point then and only then.

If Iowa is the 22nd ranked team in the country, it is because of their defense and special teams. Captain Obvious.

I can also buy to make better tv ratings if they make the BTT game.

That's ridiculous, Iowa is very capable of losing the next 3 games, they aren't trying to inflate them for TV reasons. There aren't 25 teams better than Iowa. I just don't understand the over humbleness of our fan base. We're ranked 22, enjoy it. It's good for the program. It helps with a lot of things specifically recruiting and optics of our program.

If Iowa is the 22nd ranked team in the country, it is because of their defense and special teams. Captain Obvious.

I can also buy to make better tv ratings if they make the BTT game.
Iowa's down like 7 or 8 starters on offense, I don't think anyone is thinking "let's pump up this team so their ranked when they cruise to the B1G West title" - that would take some real coordination and back channeling that I just don't think these committees are capable of. Also, the CFB are still basically being driven by ESPN, it's a stretch that they are going to conspire to pump up the worst offense in the country so that FOX can have them ranked in the B1G championship game.

You guys are wild with your ideals and views on college sports but that's why I love coming here and debating.

Latest posts