Iowa 2-Deep for Northwestern Game

Maybe it’s just because it’s a crappy Monday, but I feel the need to vent on this one. I know these things are often not what actually is shown on the field but still.

-What’s up with DJ Johnson now considered a right corner and OJ’s backup? He literally started a few weeks at left corner and was emerging. He no longer plays cash either. That’s perplexing.

-I mentioned in another thread but I’m not convinced Moss should be ahead of Hankins. The interception was a horrible throw and then Moss got beat deep when you knew they needed a big play. It will be interesting to see who plays there this week.

-I hate how we list the WR position. Tracy and Ragaini are primarily slot players, yet they’ve been listed as backups to Smith and ISM. Why not just add a slot position to the depth chart? I’m pretty sure we listed two TEs last year so we certainly could add a position.

-Campbell out played and outrepped Doyle by a wide margin Saturday, but is the backup?

-We aren’t even listing a cash player now. Belton got those reps Saturday.

-Is there some rule that a true freshman can’t have a starting line spot on our depth chart?

Maybe it’s just because it’s a crappy Monday, but I feel the need to vent on this one. I know these things are often not what actually is shown on the field but still.

-What’s up with DJ Johnson now considered a right corner and OJ’s backup? He literally started a few weeks at left corner and was emerging. He no longer plays cash either. That’s perplexing.

-I mentioned in another thread but I’m not convinced Moss should be ahead of Hankins. The interception was a horrible throw and then Moss got beat deep when you knew they needed a big play. It will be interesting to see who plays there this week.

-I hate how we list the WR position. Tracy and Ragaini are primarily slot players, yet they’ve been listed as backups to Smith and ISM. Why not just add a slot position to the depth chart? I’m pretty sure we listed two TEs last year so we certainly could add a position.

-Campbell out played and outrepped Doyle by a wide margin Saturday, but is the backup?

-We aren’t even listing a cash player now. Belton got those reps Saturday.

-Is there some rule that a true freshman can’t have a starting line spot on our depth chart?

So no Brandon Smith apparently. Where's Oliver Martin? We could have used him as an outside deep threat this week. Oliver Martin is more Smith-like than Tracey.

Lockett ahead of Martin is...surprising. I'm fine with Moss over Hankins for now since Hankins got abused by Bell on Saturday. Purdue never should have scored before the half but Hankins never even turned around on their long throw down the field and then again on their TD throw. I think Hankins is more gifted and has a higher ceiling but he needs to learn to turn around.

Lockett ahead of Martin is...surprising. I'm fine with Moss over Hankins for now since Hankins got abused by Bell on Saturday. Purdue never should have scored before the half but Hankins never even turned around on their long throw down the field and then again on their TD throw. I think Hankins is more gifted and has a higher ceiling but he needs to learn to turn around.
Haven't watched much Northwestern rhis year but if it's like years past we will need both when the cats spread the field.

Niemann was all but non-existent last week. He's back on the depth chart but was he injured? We're going to need out best Leo this week as well.

Doyle will probably be good in a couple of years. He shouldn't be the starter right now. He was in a for a few plays against penn state and they took advantage of him. He looks like he needs to work on the lateral quickness a bit. Campbell out played him.
I really think they need to go full on Cash now that everybody is healthy in the secondary. DJ Johnson after the trick play against Iowa State actually played really well. Moss should not be ahead of him. Where is brents? Should be Colbert and Nieman out there at LB and DJ out there at Cash. Moss should have been benched after he let that long pass over the top of him in the final couple minutes of the Game Saturday.
Seeing Brandon Smith not on the 2 deep is very concerning. Easily our best WR, who I actually think has been underutilized.
Maybe They are not listing Martin in Hopes that NW Comes out and tries to play more Man then Zone and then sneak him in there a few times against Man Coverage. Or maybe he isn't as good as everybody thinks. Probably doesn't block well enough for Kirks Taste, is my guess.

I wish we knew what went on at practice. There has to be something big we all miss and are not aware of.

Or maybe a taste of what some guys do to not move up the depth chartor lose playing tine or dont play.

Tracy and a no-name listed ahead of Martin is a joke. Obviously we haven’t seen a ton of him, but I refuse to believe that Martin would have dropped even half of the balls Tyrone Tracy has. He’s got some great skills and will be good, but he gets way more targets than someone who drops the ball as much as he does should. As others have pointed out, there’s a lot to question with this depth chart. I’m starting to get really jaded with this staff, more so than usual. I’m now fully expecting them to drop a schedule that could have been 9-10 wins to the 7-8 win range, and I’m generally pretty optimistic.

So no Brandon Smith apparently. Where's Oliver Martin? We could have used him as an outside deep threat this week. Oliver Martin is more Smith-like than Tracey.
As has been stated, martin will never play meaningful snaps until all other avenues are completely and totally exhausted because of the ferentz ego. That’s been proven throughout history a hundred times over

Martin is either the most overrated recruit ever or Brian and Kirk have some kind of vendetta against him.

I wish we knew what went on at practice. There has to be something big we all miss and are not aware of.

Or maybe a taste of what some guys do to not move up the depth chartor lose playing tine or dont play.
What goes on in games should matter more but ferentz has never coached or understood that. There are a million reasons why he never was a real coach in the nfl and that’s just one of them

Yea, there's some curious stuff on here, for sure. I was watching Hankins pretty closely and didn't think he played that poorly. Moss is good in short coverage, but does not have the straight-line speed to keep up with many WRs -- as Purdue exposed the past 2 years. I don't care where you put Nieman, but he's a lot better than Campbell or Doyle and you've gotta have him on the field...Doyle is not ready, period. I'm beginning to think coaches are perhaps thinking of redshirting Brents and Oliver -- has Oliver played in more than 4 games?

Fitz will again treat KF like his own PERSONAL WHOPPING BOY....Spread us out and then run down our throats, or, we we leave or LBs in, nickle and dime us to death with short passes. It's never about talent vs them. It's always about being out-schemed.

Haven't watched much Northwestern rhis year but if it's like years past we will need both when the cats spread the field.

Niemann was all but non-existent last week. He's back on the depth chart but was he injured? We're going to need out best Leo this week as well.
Although there are guys on this forum with a lot more technical knowledge that me, I think Niemann wasn't on the field when we used the Cash position ( i.e, only two LBs)

Tracy and a no-name listed ahead of Martin is a joke. Obviously we haven’t seen a ton of him, but I refuse to believe that Martin would have dropped even half of the balls Tyrone Tracy has. He’s got some great skills and will be good, but he gets way more targets than someone who drops the ball as much as he does should. As others have pointed out, there’s a lot to question with this depth chart. I’m starting to get really jaded with this staff, more so than usual. I’m now fully expecting them to drop a schedule that could have been 9-10 wins to the 7-8 win range, and I’m generally pretty optimistic.
Tracy made a very nice contested catch on Saturday to set up our first TD.

Yea, there's some curious stuff on here, for sure. I was watching Hankins pretty closely and didn't think he played that poorly. Moss is good in short coverage, but does not have the straight-line speed to keep up with many WRs -- as Purdue exposed the past 2 years. I don't care where you put Nieman, but he's a lot better than Campbell or Doyle and you've gotta have him on the field...Doyle is not ready, period. I'm beginning to think coaches are perhaps thinking of redshirting Brents and Oliver -- has Oliver played in more than 4 games?
Martin used his redshirt at Michigan. He has three years to play three years at Iowa.

Latest posts