Iowa #12 in Athlon Sports Preseason Poll

I wonder what Athlon ranked Penn St. at last year pre-season? Listening to Deace this morning and he has a point. Any other team that won 11 games last year, a BCS bowl and returns it starting QB is ALWAYS ranked in the top ten the following year. Let alone we return as many on D as we do. Penn St. had huge holes at the OL last year, and I venture to bet there were pre-season top 5.

That all said, I don't think it is much of a big deal that we are #12, rather than say #8. I'm just saying most other teams returning what Iowa does, combined with what they did last year = a top ten ranking for sure, possibly even top 5, and even #1 status if you are Penn St., Michigan, Ohio St., ND, Texas, Florida, etc....
PSU was 9th in the AP pre-season, and 8th in the USA Today pre-season.

I wonder what Athlon ranked Penn St. at last year pre-season? Listening to Deace this morning and he has a point. Any other team that won 11 games last year, a BCS bowl and returns it starting QB is ALWAYS ranked in the top ten the following year. Let alone we return as many on D as we do. Penn St. had huge holes at the OL last year, and I venture to bet there were pre-season top 5.

Penn St. was returning Clark and Royster, who are more highly regarded than Stanzi and whomever we have playing tailback. Too many people get beligerant when the media doesn't love Stanzi as much as we do, but the guy does not put up impressive numbers, and he isn't going to wow anyone.

Of course, Penn St's downfall was not their defense, or their QB, or their RB. It was their inexperienced offensive line.

Sound familiar?

I'd rather sneak up on everyone vs having them gunning for us...perhaps its
just a position I'm not accustomed to in the beginning of the yr...

I'd rather sneak up on everyone vs having them gunning for us...perhaps its
just a position I'm not accustomed to in the beginning of the yr...

Who are we gonna sneak up on? We are going to be one of the top 2 teams any of our opponents play all year. Everyone is going to be gunning for us.

I was thinking that myself. #12 is disrespect? How freaking spoiled and arrogant do some fans get after one huge season?

Speaking for myself, my disappointment in a #12 ranking is based upon: the other top-10 teams (weak this year); last year's accomplishments; how many we have coming back and WHO and WHERE they're coming back (QB, entire DL, WR, RB)....and...the coaching staff.

11-2, dismantling of GaTech, winning games week in and week out (I don't care if it was by a point or 50...we won), NP winning national DCord of the year....if that isn't worthy of a top ten ranking....nothing is.

I think it is a lack of respect and if things go the way we think we will finish the year much higher which is the most important thing. I agree it will be a motivating factor for the team. I worry somewhat because our best seasons often come when we least expect it.

I have never seen Iowa ranked this high preseason, so I will take it

2005?

Seriously though Deace hit it on the head this morning on two counts. The first is that Kirk will use this to motivate the team, as they're going to be picked to finsih behind Ohio State and Wisconsin as well. They'll embrace the expectations this year instead of poor-boying them like we've seen in the past. These guys know they're good.

Second - if Penn State, Ohio State, or Michigan had won BCS game and had their starting QB returning along with a great defense, they would be in conversation for pre-season #1.

Penn St. was returning Clark and Royster, who are more highly regarded than Stanzi and whomever we have playing tailback. Too many people get beligerant when the media doesn't love Stanzi as much as we do, but the guy does not put up impressive numbers, and he isn't going to wow anyone.

Of course, Penn St's downfall was not their defense, or their QB, or their RB. It was their inexperienced offensive line.

Sound familiar?

Where did I get beligerant, because they didn't show Stanzi love? All I said was that we returned a starting QB. Please tell me where I was wrong Ghost? How many 11-2 teams who won a BCS bowl game, and RETURNS A STARTING QB were pre season ranked outside the top 10? I didn't talk about whether the OL was coming back or not, and Athlon proved that by ranking Penn St. in the top 10 last year with no experience coming back at OL, that they don't really care or look at that.

I also said it wasn't a big deal that they were ranked #12 rather than #8. Now crawl back in your hole, and jump up some other posters a$$ because they think the Hawks are TOOOOOO good, and good old Ghost must rise up in righteous indignation and smite those fools down!!!!!

2005?

Seriously though Deace hit it on the head this morning on two counts. The first is that Kirk will use this to motivate the team, as they're going to be picked to finsih behind Ohio State and Wisconsin as well. They'll embrace the expectations this year instead of poor-boying them like we've seen in the past. These guys know they're good.

Second - if Penn State, Ohio State, or Michigan had won BCS game and had their starting QB returning along with a great defense, they would be in conversation for pre-season #1.

+1....yes sir....well said.

+2... it is very cool that we willl have 1 of the highest preseason ranks ever and can still play the "disrespected card" -we are just fans. imagine how much the coaches love that

I personally could give two sh*ts about the preseason rankings. It's all political B.S. In the end it comes down to performance on the field. If everyone believes we should be ranked in the top ten, then why are we worried about what a retarded magazine says 4 months before the season begins. IF we are that good, then collecting 10-12 wins will put us right where we want to be at the end of the season regardless of what these writers think right now.

Sound familiar?

Something you left out was that Iowa returns the heart of their receiving corps. Penn State, on top of the OL issues, was replacing the most productive trio of receivers in school history (Williams, Butler, Norwood). That would, one would think, at least help make up for the difference in hype between Clark and Stanzi.

AND Penn State didn't win a BCS bowl game. They didn't exactly wow anyone in defeat, either (unlike say, USC against Texas in the 2006 title game).

This is true, but the bigger question is Who Cares?

Preseason rankings are completely useless

+2... it is very cool that we willl have 1 of the highest preseason ranks ever and can still play the "disrespected card" -we are just fans. imagine how much the coaches love that

I don't think our coaches would be pathetic enough to try and riles up the players with non-existant "disrespect" from Athlon.

Latest posts