Iowa #12 in Athlon Sports Preseason Poll

Anybody who ranks Iowa out of the top 10 in pre-season needs to seriously study the college FB landscape a lot better.....Athlon included.

Our DL will be the best in the land this year and defenses win championships.

Anybody who ranks Iowa out of the top 10 in pre-season needs to seriously study the college FB landscape a lot better.....Athlon included.

Our DL will be the best in the land this year and defenses win championships.

I won't argue too hard because its really hard to find a lot of top 10 worthy teams this year

it doesn't bother me one bit. Seems like these kids played well all last year while getting no respect. I like the underdog role. It serves iowa well.

The write-up comes down to the one issue of rebuilding the O-line. That is a big issue, particularly considering the fact that Iowa has had a tendency to take their time in putting together a first unit.

Beyond the O-line this write-up is pretty strong.

I think the ranking is more than fair. Come December that ranking and a dollar will get you coffee at McDonalds. Iowa has a tough conference schedule again this year. The margin between wins and losses is pretty slim. Last year Iowa won those close games, but it is a new year.

Stanzi is back, and the Hawkeyes should be hunting for a Big Ten title once again, with only a rebuilt offensive line standing in the way of potential greatness.

The sentence from Athlon above will be the focal point of the Hawks season.

Stanzi: Will need to have at least a 2 - 1 TD/INT ratio without the pick6 plays.

Offensive line play will once again be the focal point this year and will determine if the Hawks are a top ten team. We cannot afford OL injuries or suspensions this year.

I swear people would ***** and moan about no respect if Iowa would be ranked #8 because they should be top 5.

When the first official polls come out in August some of you might be in for a rude awakening, others will also look at the rebuilding job Iowa has to do on the OL and rank them somewhere in the 11 to 15 range probably behind Wisconsin and I can't blame them. Nothing wrong starting in the top 15 as if you keep winning other things will take care of themselves.

i had us pegged at #9 to start the season(official rankings)...but i'm perfectly happy with a 12. besides, preseason rankings don't really matter. it will all work itself out in the end

I'm OK with this.... I would prefer to start in the #15 range at the highest.
As usual, everything will play itself out as the season progresses.

i had us pegged at #9 to start the season(official rankings)...but i'm perfectly happy with a 12. besides, preseason rankings don't really matter. it will all work itself out in the end

Preseason rankings matter quite a lot, actually. They shouldn't, but they do. If there are 3 undefeated teams at the end of the year, let's say they started the year #3, #15, and unranked. Now which two teams do you think are going to go to the NCG? You can bet your bottom dollar that it will be the one who started out unranked that will get the short end of the stick, even if they may actually be a better team than one of the two ahead of them.

I wonder what Athlon ranked Penn St. at last year pre-season? Listening to Deace this morning and he has a point. Any other team that won 11 games last year, a BCS bowl and returns it starting QB is ALWAYS ranked in the top ten the following year. Let alone we return as many on D as we do. Penn St. had huge holes at the OL last year, and I venture to bet there were pre-season top 5.

That all said, I don't think it is much of a big deal that we are #12, rather than say #8. I'm just saying most other teams returning what Iowa does, combined with what they did last year = a top ten ranking for sure, possibly even top 5, and even #1 status if you are Penn St., Michigan, Ohio St., ND, Texas, Florida, etc....

Latest posts