Iowa 100/1

chadfrey

Iowa opens as 100/1 odds.

Iowa State not on the list I found.

Ohio State at the top of the odds list.

LINK: HERE

Are the oddsmakers insane? No way we should have those kind of odds. More like 1,000,000/1.

And cue the Dumb and Dumber post.........

Iowa has been voted national champions twice in the past 100. So at 1/100 I would have doubled my money at those odds each year.

Iowa has been voted national champions twice in the past 100. So at 1/100 I would have doubled my money at those odds each year.
Wrong. And voted by whom? Iowa has never won a recognized AP, coaches poll, or BCS title. They have a trophy from some organization for 1958, but anything else is more than a stretch. Nobody giving odds for a national title would ever pay off for anything that Iowa has ever done in their history.

Sorry I missed one: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...otball-facts-every-iowa-fan-should-know-about "In 1921, Iowa was selected as National Champion by Billingsley and Parke Davis. In 1956, Iowa was selected as National Champion by Football Research along with selections by others of Georgia, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. In 1958, the Football Writers of America, ranked the Iowa Hawkeyes as #1 and National Champions. This trophy rests not far from Nile Kinnick’s 1939 Heisman trophy in the Iowa Athletic Museum." So if I were to bet 100 times at 100 to 1 in the past 100 years I triple my money. Not a bad bet. At least it's not a crazy bet.

Sorry I missed one: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...otball-facts-every-iowa-fan-should-know-about "In 1921, Iowa was selected as National Champion by Billingsley and Parke Davis. In 1956, Iowa was selected as National Champion by Football Research along with selections by others of Georgia, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. In 1958, the Football Writers of America, ranked the Iowa Hawkeyes as #1 and National Champions. This trophy rests not far from Nile Kinnick’s 1939 Heisman trophy in the Iowa Athletic Museum." So if I were to bet 100 times at 100 to 1 in the past 100 years I triple my money. Not a bad bet. At least it's not a crazy bet.
No you idiot, you would have lost all your money. None of those are officially recognized championships.

So if I were to bet 100 times at 100 to 1 in the past 100 years I triple my money. Not a bad bet. At least it's not a crazy bet.
What are you? Like 112 and ready to enter your teens for the second time?

Iowa 100:1 is a crazy bet. Vegas is like the Dollar Store: all kinds of products for a buck.
All kinds of useless and shiny things that and make you feel good until it breaks 1/2 into the season.

That was what they had at the time for a national championship so that is what we have to go off of rather it was official or not. I don't gamble anyways. The point is that out of 100 time Iowa wins the national championship more than once so theoretically taking Iowa every year one would come out ahead at those odds.

That was what they had at the time for a national championship so that is what we have to go off of rather it was official or not.
No, it's not. The AP poll was instituted in 1936, and the coaches poll in 1950. These are the recognized championships prior to the BCS/Playoff era. Nothing else counts.

1921 was before 1936, and if there was an AP poll in 1921 Iowa would have won that too. California who would have been #1 during the regular season had and upset 0-0 tie in the Rose Bowl vs William Jefferson. That left the two primary undefeated contenders being Iowa and Cornell. Iowa had a much tougher strength of schedule than Cornell did. Iowa beat beat Notre Dame who had not lost a game sine 1918 and who would have finished about 5 in the final polls. Iowa also won at Illinois who had a fellow by the name of Red Grange playing for them. Illinois would also have been a top 25 team. Cornell's biggest wins were against less than stellar Dartmouth and Penn teams.

Last edited:
LOL This guy is off the reservation nuts. It's fine to be a fan and support your team but this guy takes it to a level that goes far past creepy.

I find it curious that so many people are still getting trolled by the same "super fan" bait. It certainly is "far past creepy" ... so far past, in fact, it's as if none of the posts are actually serious, but rather simply attempts to garner a reaction.

If I were a gambler, I'd have bet that the well would have long since run dry ... alas, it has not.

I find it curious that so many people are still getting trolled by the same "super fan" bait. It certainly is "far past creepy" ... so far past, in fact, it's as if none of the posts are actually serious, but rather simply attempts to garner a reaction.

If I were a gambler, I'd have bet that the well would have long since run dry ... alas, it has not.

This.

Hawknick isn't giving real opinions. He is only trying to incite other users and bait them into ridiculous and pointless internet arguments. I can't believe there are so many people that can't see through the schtick. Very sad.

You can say all you want against me, but my reasoning why I would theoretically take the bet still holds up and that is odds over time. Even if it does not pay off one year, odds are it will eventually. Let's think about this another way. If all the past 100 teams have played in the current system with a 4 team playoff how many would have been in the playoff? Chances are:

Of those 7 odds are at least 2 would have won. The rules would have benefited the 1960 team a lot, that was a great team that does not get it's due. The Rose Bowl invitation rules at the time worked against them. I have no doubt that the next 100 will be even better.

Wrong. And voted by whom? Iowa has never won a recognized AP, coaches poll, or BCS title. They have a trophy from some organization for 1958, but anything else is more than a stretch. Nobody giving odds for a national title would ever pay off for anything that Iowa has ever done in their history.

You are wrong sir, the NCAA officially says Iowa has 1 Co-National Championship and they are the absolute authority as I see it.http://www.ncaa.com/history/football/fbs