Iowa +10.5 @ Nebraska

The wins against winning teams (PSU and Wisconsin) were against teams that played similiar styles of football. Iowa has always played those types of games well. That is the style Norm prefers...good 1970's style football.

Against a good team on the road that plays a spread or something similar and Iowa is toast in the B1G. Vandenberg needs to play as well as he can to good teams on the road and he hasn't proven he can do that. For some reason he plays scared or whatever on the road. To beat Nebraska at home, he will need to have one of his best games of the year and afer watching a season of Vandenberg on the road, I doubt he has it in him to play that type of game. The game Friday will be more like the Penn State game...

It's not Martinez I'm worried about, it's Rex Burkehead. I know he's not a superstar, but that kid can run the ball. If the DL shows up like they did in the Purdue game it will be much closer. If Iowa can get an early lead, that will force Martinez to hurry up and throw, that is where this secondary has to capitalize as he has the ugliest throwing skills in the B1G.

Iowa is very very poor against a good rushing offense. Thus Martinez is not going to have to pass very often in this game. Nebraska will control the line of scrimmage the entire game against Iowa's defense and will have long drives for scores with our bend and break defense.

This game could easily be as lopsided as the MSU game...Their defense will be fired up for this game and Iowa will run the ball into the NE defense at least 30 times whether we are successful or not at running the ball. Afterall, Iowa is a balanced team and runs as much as they pass and NE knows this, so stop Iowa's running game and the game is yours because Iowa will continue to run at you. Iowa would run at a brick wall if it was out there. The Iowa staff would be convinced that Iowa could run through that brick wall.

Iowa is very very poor against a good rushing offense. Thus Martinez is not going to have to pass very often in this game. Nebraska will control the line of scrimmage the entire game against Iowa's defense and will have long drives for scores with our bend and break defense.

This game could easily be as lopsided as the MSU game...Their defense will be fired up for this game and Iowa will run the ball into the NE defense at least 30 times whether we are successful or not at running the ball. Afterall, Iowa is a balanced team and runs as much as they pass and NE knows this, so stop Iowa's running game and the game is yours because Iowa will continue to run at you. Iowa would run at a brick wall if it was out there. The Iowa staff would be convinced that Iowa could run through that brick wall.

last time I checked Mic was a great running team also, what happened there...

Using the average of Sagarin's "rating" and "predictor" says Nebrasak by 8.85.
Nebraska's average score margin at home all season = +10.2
Nebraska's average scrore margin at home vs B1G = +8.3
Iowa's average road score margin = <1> vs all & <.33> vs B1G.

Iowa's d-line is improving. Iowa's back 7 are stagnant / regressing.

Finally, the TE (Fiedorowicz) is emerging to actually contribute to the offense. However, Iowa's offensive execution continues to be inconsistent, at best, especially during "turning point" time -- 2nd & 3rd quarters. Not to mention, as New Mex pointed out (and we've all observed for years), the offense is more concerned with forcing the run in the name of maintaining balance (or to sit on a lead) rather than seizing opportunities to adapt to game-flow and opponent.

Conclusion: If you can get this game at 9 or above, you take Iowa.

Final score = 31 - 23, Nebraska.

Iowa is very very poor against a good rushing offense. Thus Martinez is not going to have to pass very often in this game. Nebraska will control the line of scrimmage the entire game against Iowa's defense and will have long drives for scores with our bend and break defense.This game could easily be as lopsided as the MSU game...Their defense will be fired up for this game and Iowa will run the ball into the NE defense at least 30 times whether we are successful or not at running the ball. Afterall, Iowa is a balanced team and runs as much as they pass and NE knows this, so stop Iowa's running game and the game is yours because Iowa will continue to run at you. Iowa would run at a brick wall if it was out there. The Iowa staff would be convinced that Iowa could run through that brick wall.

If we turn the ball over like we did vs. MSU we are in trouble. If we miss opportunities in the red zone like we did vs. Purdue we are in trouble. All that said, I think Iowa covers.

The key will be the first two series', on each side of the ball. Quiet the crowd a bit early, and let Vandy try to gain control of the offense (he has struggled on the road obviously but Purdue win may bring some confidence). If we can avoid the early collapse (a la MSU), it will be a close game that goes down to the wire. A late turnover by Martinez would be the difference.

There has been a noted improvement in the D line the last two weeks, particularly with Binns and Daniels. I think those two are key to a potential Hawkeye victory.

The way JVB has played on the road, I hope we can keep it within 10, I just don't see how NEB will tolerate Coker running on them at all- I see them stacking the box and giving JVB some chances to beat them. I just hope we can keep Burkhead in check, somehow NW did it!

There has been a noted improvement in the D line the last two weeks, particularly with Binns and Daniels. I think those two are key to a potential Hawkeye victory.

If Alvis hadn't gotten hurt, the Binns-Daniels-Nardo-Alvis front four was really turning into something good. I agree that Binns/Diesel will be huge to a potential win this weekend.

Forced to lay money down, I take Iowa on that line.

So have a ton of other people apparently, as the line is down to 9.5

If Iowa eliminates just a few of the outrageously stupid mistakes they've committed on the road this season, they have a hell of a shot of winning that game outright.

Historically, Iowa does better against ground pounders. Martinez is not as good as Shoelace either as a passer or runner. But, the Iowa D is not the D of old.

The Big Red Scorehouse is intimidating to the max. I think the best bet is to have another turkey sandwich and beverage of your choice while you watch the game. That way the only thing you won't lose is weight.

Latest posts