Intriguing Brian Ferentz Tweet

Every team practices their no huddle offense...and am I the only one with a sneaking suspicion that the D is NOT going to suck this season? It'll be young and need some time to gel, but I like the guys we have coming up.

That is what you are saying now but what will you be saying after a game in which Iowa makes numerious mistakes and loses?? I am betting you may be promoting a slower approach that may result in fewer mistakes and less time on field for an inexperienced defense. Hurry up offense doesnot necessarily mean the offense will score more.
God, is it really THAT hard to understand "take what the opponent gives you"?
You practice all parts of the game,especially the ones your not used to doing and give yourself more options to work with.
Yes I would expect a slower approach with teams we can control the ball on. Or a faster approach when we have advantages we can exploit.
Its called strategy. Maybe just maybe Iowa will no longer be the team with a 15 play rinse and repeat plan.

Our new offensive tempo will make the Oregon Ducks look slow... ;-) I still have a feeling we are going to like the new looks we see this upcoming season. Can't wait

The offense is also practicing in 11 man units. I've never seen this before. I know the practices are "closed", but if you go there there, you can watch.

I'm pretty excited about this season. I'm not sure the pace of practice will translate into the pace of the game, but I agree with the comment about a faster pace = more reps.
IMO its pretty hard to work as a team if you don't practice like one.

Teams that run faster tempos tend to drop their average time of possession and the D tends to be on the field more, which normally I don't see as a problem for Iowa, but this year that isn't necessarily ideal.

Unless of course, the D plans on getting off the field quickly, one way or another. If PP schemes an aggressive D via man coverage, blitzes, and/or other risky ideas, the D will get quick stops or give up big plays. This type of D might complement the uptempo O reasonably well. OTOH, I sincerely hope we don't turn out to be like RichRod's UM team.

Thats what I am starting to think....if I ever take a coaching position at Iowa I am going to have a ton of fun with you message board proles. :)

Don't dismiss the HawkForce coaching talk.

Just look at his Missouri "monster formation" suggestion. Genius.

And to Brian Ferentz, whom I guarantee is reading this stuff: welcome home, buddy. Nice job on the Twitter troll, now get off the computer and back to work!

:D

Don't dismiss the HawkForce coaching talk.

Just look at his Missouri "monster formation" suggestion. Genius.

And to Brian Ferentz, whom I guarantee is reading this stuff: welcome home, buddy. Nice job on the Twitter troll, now get off the computer and back to work!

:D

I wonder how many times HN posters have heard this...:D

Unless of course, the D plans on getting off the field quickly, one way or another. If PP schemes an aggressive D via man coverage, blitzes, and/or other risky ideas, the D will get quick stops or give up big plays. This type of D might complement the uptempo O reasonably well. OTOH, I sincerely hope we don't turn out to be like RichRod's UM team.

I agree, look at Oregon, Texas Tech under Leach and other fast-paced teams...everyone is wrapped up in their offense, but they always have solid front 7 D's. They tend to rank among top teams in turnover margin. They have the ability to make some plays and get the ball back in the hands of their offense.

What you're not accounting for in that reply is execution. It's not just a matter of drawing up X's and O's, you have to have the personnel developed, in place and coached to be able to make plays.

Right now, I don't see the Iowa front 7 as a threat. It's early, I am not going to judge prematurely. We've seen Iowa coaching time and time again develop players out of seemingly thin air.

I am all for speeding up the offense. All I am saying is that by doing so it puts more pressure on the defense...an already suspect unit.

Hurry up and shotgun offensive formations were JVB's 'specialites' out of high school, and I think, even with all of KF's indoctrination of JVB to the pro-style offense, JVB still performs better in nohuddle, shotgun formations, but, as they say, the teacher/coach knows best.

I agree, look at Oregon, Texas Tech under Leach and other fast-paced teams...everyone is wrapped up in their offense, but they always have solid front 7 D's. They tend to rank among top teams in turnover margin. They have the ability to make some plays and get the ball back in the hands of their offense.

What you're not accounting for in that reply is execution.<b> It's not just a matter of drawing up X's and O's, you have to have the personnel developed, in place and coached to be able to make plays.</b>

Right now, I don't see the Iowa front 7 as a threat. It's early, I am not going to judge prematurely. We've seen Iowa coaching time and time again develop players out of seemingly thin air.

I am all for speeding up the offense. <b>All I am saying is that by doing so it puts more pressure on the defense...an already suspect unit.</b>

I think the D will be slightly better than last year's version against both run and pass. That said, it remains a weak link compared to years past and (strategically) should be exposed for as few plays as possible. Waiting for the opponent to screw up via bending (usually against the pass) will be a mistake this year precisely because the D-line is not all-world.

As long as an aggressive D scheme gets the stop quickly (at best) or (at worst) yields quick chunks of yards but plays solid red-zone D, we are good. Circumventing death by 2-million cuts due to horrible TOP between the 20s is the goal. The obvious danger lies in giving up multiple over-the-top big play scores -- but imo the back 7 is good enough to prevent this from happening.

The execution that you bring up is indeed critical but as much if not more so on Offense. After all, for the first time in the KF era, we might (?) take chances on D to ensure that the O gets more touches.

...The execution that you bring up is indeed critical but as much if not more so on Offense. After all, for the first time in the KF era, we might (?) take chances on D to ensure that the O gets more touches.

Goes against everything that is Kirk Ferentz, a conservative coach. We've seen how stubbornly KF has clinged to his football beliefs.

Goes against everything that is Kirk Ferentz, a conservative coach. We've seen how stubbornly KF has clinged to his football beliefs.

KF isn't as fossilized as some make him out to be. You only have to look at last year's game against Michigan. I think he by then knew that the D was decimated and went for it on two 4th downs, neither of which he would have if we had a stout D; the D scheme was also much more aggressive. The Pitt game serves as another data point.

I like KF's philosophy in general (even if there are specific instances that rub me wrong), definitely prefer Pro schemes if we have the horses, and am inclined to give him the benefit of doubt. :)

Latest posts