Internet add-on request

Husky28

Every time I access the Hawkeyenation website, I get an “Internet add-on Installer” request. It also happens every time I click to a new page, it won’t let me view the page until I cancel the request (takes about 25-30 seconds just for the request to show up! sometimes longer, never less time...)

So to clarify, every time I click to a new page I have to wait for this add-on thing to come up before I get to the new page... do the math. It takes awhile just to read through some of the threads...

Since I use my work computer, I don’t have administrative authority to add it, do you have a solution for me? It slows down my computer and makes it cumbersome to access Hawkeyenation.

This is beginning to drive me nuts. Been ongoing for about 3-4 weeks now with no answers.:confused:

Last edited:
The same thing was happening to me on my work computer. I think they have the first ever IE running!!

If I remember correctly this should help: on the bottom left of the pop up there should be a button for "more options" or something similar. Once the choices are expanded click to "never install" or something like that. I did this on my work computer and I no longer get the pop up you're describing. I do sometimes get a little notification in the bottom right of the screen, but nothing that I have to click and nothing that slows browsing times.

thanks for the feedback. Have passed on to developers.

Most everything like this is happening with IE users. Folks using Chrome and Firefox rarely run into anything like this, but I want to find the source and eliminate it entirely.

The same thing was happening to me on my work computer. I think they have the first ever IE running!!

If I remember correctly this should help: on the bottom left of the pop up there should be a button for "more options" or something similar. Once the choices are expanded click to "never install" or something like that. I did this on my work computer and I no longer get the pop up you're describing. I do sometimes get a little notification in the bottom right of the screen, but nothing that I have to click and nothing that slows browsing times.

It's not offering me that option... all I can do is cancel.

Make sure your flash program is updated. Adobe - Flash Player

Good idea to check other pluggins too, java and others. It's most likely this that is the issue which will create problems eventually at other places.

Ok. I'll have to get administrative permission/password to upgrade... Hopefully this will work.

I think this add-on/flash problem is a small example of a more systemic problem for this site. There is no question when you compare this site to its competitors, that the content provided by Jon and the crew here wins the day. Best Hawkeye news/analysis anywhere, handsdown, in my opiion. That is an invaluable competitive advantage.

In my opinion, the biggest threats to the business here are the continued technical difficulties for IE users. Telling users to download Firefox or Chrome or that they need to update their Flash player is not the answer. Many people viewing from work cannot switch browers or update software.

If I was having the same problem on other websites, then I would agree that perhaps the problem is on my end. Given that I have never had another site tell me I need a new version of Flash, that suggests that this site is lagging in terms of providing an easy-to-view site. It may very well be true that downloading a newer version of Flash would solve the problem, but (1) I can't do that here at work; and (2) I should not have to when it is not necessary for the vast majority of sites in existance.

I am a lurker on these message boards. I rarely post, but I have spent a large amount of very enjoyable time for the past five years (at Scout and then when it went independent). After a month of not being able to view the site without a significant delay followed by pop up installer question, I am frustrated. With that said, the content is so good on here that I probably will keep coming back even if it continues to be slow for me.

If you can believe it, I wrote more on this same subject in another Forum post earlier in the week. Here is that post:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am having the same Flash issues as "Mitch" mentions above, and have been having them for over three weeks.

I am a big fan of this site. It has the best substantive Hawkeye content available, and it is totally free. That is a great thing. It is also encouraging to see Jon askk for feedback from the sites' users and to continually improve user experience. One the smartest people I know -- a former CEO of a large company -- preaches that every business must ask their customers what they want, not tell them. I see Jon asking people on this site all of the time what they want.

I view this site daily (in season) from a work computer that uses IE8. Up until sometime in 2009, my computer had a version of IE from the dark ages. I had many problems viewing this site under the older IE version and was excited when my company finally upgraded to IE8 because I was told by people on this site that it would solve all of the problems I had been having (i.e. floating advertisments in the middle of the page that could not be minimized). Things did get better when we migrated to IE8, but it seems IE and this site still do not mesh very well, and I am guessing a signifcant percentage of the sites' page views come from IE browsers. Many of us viewing from work do not have the option of switching browers

The IE/Flash issues I now am encountering on this site are very frustrating. I know I have Flash on my computer and that I do not have trouble viewing any other webpage that runs Flash from my computer, but I keep getting a warning sign on this site for some reason that states I need to download Flash. It has slowed down my experience on this site enough that I am viewing this site much less. I am hopeful that this will get corrected, as I think I saw Jon mention somewhere recently that he is aware of the Flash problems and is working on them.

On a somewhat related note, I would love to have a version of this site that is easily viewed from a mobile device. This site is navigatable from my Blackberry, but it is not an easy endeavor. If my memory is correct, the site's articles are easily viewed via my wife's IPhone but the Forums are not (I could easily be wrong about this). Anyways, I know it may be expensive to put together a mobile-friendly version of the site or it may be something that is already in the works, but just wanted to provide you with my sliver of customer input on that issue.

Thanks again for this wonderful online Hawkeye community. Go Hawks!

Iowacrawl

(Iowacrawl is a song by Iowa bluesman Joe Price -- check him out if you have never heard his music before)

Last edited:
HA! Figured it out. I was able to go into the tools and disable the add-on request in the "manage add-ons" part.

We have made the move to be behind a better firewall, and upgraded servers.

There is another move I am going to make with a local company that has locked some things down for CycloneFanatic. All of these moves cost mid four figures...but I want to lock things down as much as I can. We will get this cleaned up very, very soon

Latest posts