Intermat releases preseason rankings

InterMat Wrestling

There are quite a few I don't agree with but another fun ranking to look at and debate.

Which ones in particular seem out of line, FF?

Couple of comments:

125:Graduation really took a toll here. Pretty big gap between McD and the rest of the field. Interested to see him match up with both Patterson and Waters. He hasn't faced either of them so far in college.

133: I was under the impression that Sentes is definitely redshirting this year. Interested to see Tony match up against form super-recruit Steiber (who's coming off an injury). Keep an eye on Mango, who spent his previous 2 years at 125 (finishing 6th in 2011).

141: So is Alton definitely NOT redshirting? This weight is all about the top 3 (Russell, Novachkov and Marion).

149: A little surprised to see Carew ranked so low, but coming off an injury this is probably about right. I expect him to move up the rankings by the time the year is over.

157: This weight lost one stud (Taylor) and gained another one (Dake). I feel good about DSJ's chances against Dake, just hope DSJ put a lot of time in this offseason in getting out from under a tough rider. Dake's phenomenal in the top position - just ask Molinaro. DSJ notched decisive wins against both #3 Welch (4-2, 5-2, 6-1 last year) and #5 Peppelman (8-2). I fully expect DSJ to get to the finals this year.

165: Garcia at #7??? Wow. Not buying that one. Looks like Intermat is buying into the Hawks' uncertainty at this weight. With rumors of Evans dropping down and Nick Moore right there as well, Intermat elected not to rank either guy. Watch out for Nebraska's Kokesh here. He went 34-1 while RS behind Burroughs last year (only loss was a MedForfeit to Burroughs).

174: Ethan's right there with all the top guys. He gave Ruth all he could handle at Big 10s (getting the only TD in a 3-2 loss) and has a win against #4 Heflin in their only meeting.

184: This weight is going to be a bear with 7 of 2011's 8 AA's back (Rutt is the only one missing - he's taking an Olympic RS). Gambrall really turned it on at NCAA's last year, hopefully he can do it again.

197: I'm really interested to see how PSU's McIntosh matches up with upperclassmen at this weight. In HS, he had a real strength advantage, but that usually goes away once guys get into college. He's awfully short compared to the other guys at this weight; #9 seems a bit high. Camp at #14 also seems a bit high. Who's the last true frosh to make a lot of noise at 197? I can't think of one...

HWT: Rasing's a wildcard - a Big 10 champ and then he lays an egg 2 weeks later. Do we see Telford get this spot once Big 10 season gets here? Midlands will go along way in determining this weight.

So excited for wrestling to kick-off!

Last edited:
Penn State with an easy win, we shall see. This Hawk team is going to be special, I expect something like 2008. Show some youth early on, win a close Big Tens, and destroy everyone at nationals.

"Penn State with an easy win" What have you been smoking?

Rankings are not really important just a gazer remember last year we opened at 13 or so, maybe it was 9 on intermat, most people thought we didn't deserve to be in the top 10. Point is dont take is seriously... Were gonna have a great year with some exciting moments and some talented young men on the mat. Til nationals!
go hawks

Last edited:

Latest posts