Interesting Stat: Arizona & Iowa...Last 5 years

slimcat

Arizona has gone 10-1 over the last 5 years when they have been a Home Underdog.

Iowa has gone 3-6 when a Road Favorite over the same time period.

Some might say the 2010 squads for both schools are going to be the best over the last 5 years.

Interesting...

Arizona has gone 10-1 over the last 5 years when they have been a Home Underdog.

Some might say the 2010 squads for both schools are going to be the best over the last 5 years.

Interesting...

I can't say for Arizona, but I'd have to guess that most of the games where Iowa was favored on the road came in 2005 and 2006. Expectations for those teams were pretty high, and they flopped big time. 2007 was just bad, I'm not sure we were favored to win more than maybe 2 or 3 games all year. 2008 I don't think we were ever favored on the road. 2009 we definitely weren't except for the ISU game.

Welcome Slim... I would put Iowa's quality road record last year up against anyone's. Its a credit to the defense, they seem to step up on the road.

Iowa State 7-6 W
Penn State 11-2 W
Mich State 6-7 W
Wisconsin 10-3 W
Ohio State 11-2 L (OT with a backup QB)

Last edited:

Interesting...

That is a provacative stat. Nice jib Slim. As most would say here, the last five years include three down years. So we would think it is a bit skewed. The other issue is that although Iowa won all their games in which they were a road dog last year, good teams often are not dogs, even on the road.

That being said, can you provide us with the 11 teams who were you were dogs to during that five year span?

That is a provacative stat. Nice jib Slim. As most would say here, the last five years include three down years. So we would think it is a bit skewed. The other issue is that although Iowa won all their games in which they were a road dog last year, good teams often are not dogs, even on the road.

That being said, can you provide us with the 11 teams who were you were dogs to during that five year span?

I can't believe this is true. They played USC at home twice in that span; once when the Cats went 6-6, and another when USC was ranked #5. No way was Arizona favored in those matchups (they lost both).

Thought it might look something like that.

I actually didn't do the math on the records (I've been up all night, gears are grinding even slower than usual), so that lineup wasn't right. It looked like it at first glance though.

I just looked at the last five years. It is hard to figure out who AZ would have been favored against and who they would be dogs too. They lost a good number of home games during that stretch. Seems odd they would be favored in all those games.

I just looked at the last five years. It is hard to figure out who AZ would have been favored against and who they would be dogs too. They lost a good number of home games during that stretch. Seems odd they would be favored in all those games.

Agreed. 2008 and 2009 I could have seen it. But 2005-2007 there were quite a few games against teams that were pretty damn good, and Arizona was decidedly not very good.

I can't believe this is true. They played USC at home twice in that span; once when the Cats went 6-6, and another when USC was ranked #5. No way was Arizona favored in those matchups (they lost both).

Sorry guys. I should be more specific: those stats are based on ranked opponents. So when a ranked opponent came to Tucson to play Arizona and AZ was the Dog.

And when Iowa played at a ranked-opponent and IA was the Favorite.

And a correction: AZ is 9-2-1....2 losses by 7 points or less to Top-10 ranked USC teams, and a double OT loss to Top-10 Oregon last year--or a tie if you will :)

Bear Down Hawks!

Here's another stat for you. Arizona has lost 10 straight non conference games against BCS automatic qualifying league opponents. AZ's last win was against Nebraska in the 1998 Holiday Bowl.

Last edited:

Latest posts