Interesting quote about effort

thefizz

"When I was a young coach, Frank Broyles told me that you can only count on getting the most out of your team about 4 times a year. I didn't believe him then, but it's true"
-Mack Brown

That is interesting and football is one of those extreme team sports where you have 11 players that have to mesh and work together to get things done. It is also why having a couple of great playmakers can overcome some mistakes on some plays or carry a team for awhile. A John Elway is an example with his running and passing, escapability, etc. But in basketball one truly great playmaker can carry a whole team for the whole game because he is just one of 5 players.

At the same time teamwork can sometimes overcome the lack of an all-american and sometimes overcome a flat performance.

It is my opinion that Iowa doesn't have a lot of games where the effort is bad. In most respects where they lose or we see as playing poorly is due to bad execution, not effort. Iowa typically does not have the horses to overcome poor execution (penalties, turnovers, negative plays). It is why I follow Iowa, they play hard and play disciplined football as part of a team. I have enough trust in Iowa's leadership both in coaching and players that if effort is a problem it gets corrected right away.

"When I was a young coach, Frank Broyles told me that you can only count on getting the most out of your team about 4 times a year. I didn't believe him then, but it's true"
-Mack Brown
We've used up 1/2. Maybe?

It is my opinion that Iowa doesn't have a lot of games where the effort is bad. In most respects where they lose or we see as playing poorly is due to bad execution, not effort. Iowa typically does not have the horses to overcome poor execution (penalties, turnovers, negative plays). It is why I follow Iowa, they play hard and play disciplined football as part of a team. I have enough trust in Iowa's leadership both in coaching and players that if effort is a problem it gets corrected right away.

The level of effort they played with against Illinois is nothing compared to what they played with against Penn State.

The level of effort they played with against Illinois is nothing compared to what they played with against Penn State.

100% agree but is it really that realistic to think that effort is sustainable? Look at Barkley's numbers today, not even 100 yards was it lack of effort on their part or did NW have more effort. While I think you will have some differences from game to game from my perspective I was looking at a total tank or team effort issues which is what I think we rarely have

100% agree but is it really that realistic to think that effort is sustainable? Look at Barkley's numbers today, not even 100 yards was it lack of effort on their part or did NW have more effort. While I think you will have some differences from game to game from my perspective I was looking at a total tank or team effort issues which is what I think we rarely have

It's not realistic at all to sustain that effort. That's what the OP was about. It sounded like your first post was disagreeing with Mack Brown but I guess not.

Latest posts