Interesting News at QB

The cupboard is empty and it isn't working to go shopping either. That's a major problem.
Serious question - is the cupboard more bare than the typical mid-major?

IA was almost dead last of all offense, P5 & Mid-majors. If Lester is even a decent OC, he should be able to grow the offense at least to bottom 1/3.

The ONLY reason any skill player should come to Iowa is NIL. You won’t look good, won’t have stats, won’t get drafted and if you complain you’ll be benched.

Sometimes all you can have is hope. The offensive woes have been glaring. But we have found ways to win and have had very successful seasons of recent that a lot of teams would love to have. All we can do now is try to be optimistic that KF allows Lester to open things up a bit more.

No, we are not going to see Mike Leach's Air Raid offense. First of all, we don't even have close to the personnel to try. And we all know that we are not going to deviate much from what KF wants to see offensively.

Iowa is always talked about when it comes to execution and fundamentals. We often sacrifice talent for this. It's been like this forever. We know KF hates the portal and NIL, but regardless of his opinion, maybe his hand is forced once again to allow some semblance of change so he can continue to be the figurehead of Iowa football.

I guess we might see next week. Here's to trying to be optimistic and have a little hope.

I had to chuckle watching video of today's practice. QBs were throwing simple 15-20 yd down-and-out passes to WRs, with no defenders. Completed 1 of their first 7. Passes high, passes low, WRs dropping balls. Un Fucking Believable. Looked like the first day of a h.s. practice.
Reminded me of one of last season's early practices held inside, when video showed the offense trying to run a simple crossing route with a ball snapped from the 7 yd line -- with no defenders -- trying to hit a WR along the back of the EZone...and they went something like 0-7. From the 7 yd line! And no defenders!
The more things change...

It's not exhausting at all.

It's a shame what it's done to the program though. There are zero skill players who want to come here and that's not a coincidence. KF let BF take this whole deal waaaaay too far. And we've become known as the program you go to if you don't want to put up any yards, catches, or scores. That's a big, big problem.

We don't have an ISM, Brandon Smith, Wadley, Goodson, Daniels, hell...we don't even have a Matt VB or Nico Ragaini left.

The cupboard is empty and it isn't working to go shopping either. That's a major problem.
Zero skill players? Last I checked tight ends were skill players and we are a factory there. Luchey looks to be the next man in. Its a safe bet that if he is healthy he is a first or second day pick next April. No way the cupboard is bare at TE.

I am fine with the RBs we have. There is talent there. We need the line to block, a playcaller who can call plays, and a QB who can make plays. We get those things rolling, the RBs will be just fine.

Brown is probably the highest rated high school recruit KF has ever had at WR. He was wildly underused given the two man clown show of BF and Hill, but he did not transfer and is poised to be a weapon this year. It gets pretty thin after that, but Brown has a chance to be good.

In short, the cupboard actually has a couple of high end grocery items, but what is behind it is may indeed be canned beets.....

It’s all about the offensive line and the quarterback. Our oline has to be better. Our quarterback has to be better. The other positions are good enough. If the coaches didn’t get enough proof last year that Deacon isn’t good enough to be our starting quarterback then they should hire me to be their consultant. I will gladly give them that piece of information and the team will improve significantly. While I am at it I will also get in the face of every offensive lineman and challenge his manhood. I feel that I can help this team. The defense should be outstanding next year.

It's not exhausting at all.

It's a shame what it's done to the program though. There are zero skill players who want to come here and that's not a coincidence. KF let BF take this whole deal waaaaay too far. And we've become known as the program you go to if you don't want to put up any yards, catches, or scores. That's a big, big problem.

We don't have an ISM, Brandon Smith, Wadley, Goodson, Daniels, hell...we don't even have a Matt VB or Nico Ragaini left.

So you're willing to write off Kaleb Brown and every receiver in the program and the incoming freshmen. Neither Bostick nor any of the RS Frs have yet to play a game but we're righting them off as well.

Brother, we absolutely must improve your outlook.

Kaleb J and maybe Williams are definitely as talented as any of the running backs you named. Those guys ran behind lines with AA players. Our current RBs ran behind, well, you know.

All the receivers were less regarded recruits than Kaleb Brown, Bostick, and the incoming RS Fr.

Here's something you need to do. Go to Exile for the next three days. Drink Swarm. Watch the Masters. You'll be seeing Hawkeye QBs throwing TDs to a naked 21 y/o Elizabeth Hurley by the end of the weekend.

Last edited:
So you're willing to write off Kaleb Brown and every receiver in the program and the incoming freshmen. Neither Bostick nor any of the RS Frs have yet to play a game but we're righting them off as well.

Brother, we absolutely must improve your outlook.

Kaleb J and maybe Williams are definitely as talented as any of the running backs you named. Those guys ran behind lines with AA players. Our current RBs ran behind, well, you know.

All the receivers were less regarded recruits than Kaleb Brown, Bostick, and the incoming RS Fr.

Here's something you need to do. Go to Exile for the next three days. Drink Swarm. Watch the Masters. You'll be seeing Hawkeye QBs throwing TDs to a naked 21 y/o Elizabeth Hurley by the end of the weekend.
+1

Of course Iowa faces headwinds moving forward, and the new environment that is changing by the day it seems does not favor a dinosaur like KF. But, despite the BF debacle and the weird Proctor thing, there has been some amazing stability. Iowa should be a marginal top 25 team going into this season and if the new OC can cobble together some semblance of competency, a good to great season is more than possible. I will worry about '25 and beyond later. Objectively, the over/under should be 8 wins.

Have some optimism! 75% of programs out there would love to be where Iowa is right now. We aint Indiana for goodness sake.

Serious question - is the cupboard more bare than the typical mid-major?

IA was almost dead last of all offense, P5 & Mid-majors. If Lester is even a decent OC, he should be able to grow the offense at least to bottom 1/3.
The personnel hasn't changed much. He can't do much until that changes. There's a serious lack of skill position talent & has been for a while.

I always try to put myself in the shoes of my opponents and see things from their perspective:
* There's not a single WR on Iowa's roster which creates a challenge for my defense.
* I love facing pro-style QBs who can't run; and love facing offenses which include no running plays for their QB.

Still....if the offense can move up 20 or 30 places we are then a much better team than we have been. So much depends on our punter though.

+1

Of course Iowa faces headwinds moving forward, and the new environment that is changing by the day it seems does not favor a dinosaur like KF. But, despite the BF debacle and the weird Proctor thing, there has been some amazing stability. Iowa should be a marginal top 25 team going into this season and if the new OC can cobble together some semblance of competency, a good to great season is more than possible. I will worry about '25 and beyond later. Objectively, the over/under should be 8 wins.

Have some optimism! 75% of programs out there would love to be where Iowa is right now. We aint Indiana for goodness sake.
Iowa finished ranked 25 and 113 teams were not rated. It's really, literally ahead of about 82% of the rest of the D1 programs. But the program has hit the bottom of the barrel, only disaster can befall the program, etc...

Life would be so much better if there was more Iowa women’s basketball to watch so we could forget about the Football team’s offense and how it keeps sucking so bad that it makes you want to gouge your eyes out. They keep telling us that it’s going to be better this year but when the next season comes around it’s worse. If it’s not better this year I will never trust Kirk again.

The only position where Iowa doesn't feature at least a decently good player is QB. I'm guessing the real defensive coordinators are afraid of Brown or Smith getting open. I would also bet they fear Kaleb J getting a good running lane, or Williams. They probably are afraid Luke Lachey shakes open and makes catches that produce big chunk yardage. Ostrenga looked good by the end of the season. We haven't even seen Bostick or any of the RS freshmen play so what basis exists to write them off?

The offense has sucked. We haven't seen decent QB since Nate left. QB play has to be improved, significantly improved or we waste the not inconsiderable talent at the other skill positions.

It's one thing to criticize the offensive play but something entirely different to adopt unrealistic beliefs to justify the pessimism.

I miss reading the funnies in the news papers. Damn technology took all that away……………. Yawn. Give me a sec too see what your all talking about here……………………………………. Holy Shit did I stumble onto a cyclone sports forum……………………. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

The offense will improve this year. Might even be fun to watch for the first time in a decade.

The Iowa defense will be its usual stout self.