Interesting Factoid About Gary Barta

HawkeyeFever

I wondered to myself today how much GB really knew about football. I was thinking that if he never played it or wasn't really even a fan, he might not have too much ammo in evaluating KF's performance as a coach (outside of he obvious wins and losses, anyway).

To my surprise, I discovered this:

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/administration/athletic-director.html

"Barta earned a Bachelor of Science degree in mass communication and broadcast journalism from NDSU in 1987. He was an option quarterback for Bison football squads that won the Division II NCAA National Championship in 1983, 1985 and 1986"

I apologize if this is old news to everyone, but I actually never knew this until today. The overall team performance of Iowa under KF since his contract extension probably eats at GB more than I previously thought.

The money keeps rolling in, so he is good in terms of bringing in revenue for the university, but .500 football has to bug him, DOESN'T IT?

I wondered to myself today how much GB really knew about football. I was thinking that if he never played it or wasn't really even a fan, he might not have too much ammo in evaluating KF's performance as a coach (outside of he obvious wins and losses, anyway).

"Barta earned a Bachelor of Science degree in mass communication and broadcast journalism from NDSU in 1987. He was an option quarterback for Bison football squads that won the Division II NCAA National Championship in 1983, 1985 and 1986"

I apologize if this is old news to everyone, but I actually never knew this until today. The overall team performance of Iowa under KF since his contract extension probably eats at GB more than I previously thought.

The money keeps rolling in, so he is good in terms of bringing in revenue for the university, but .500 football has to bug him, DOESN'T IT?

I had heard of his playing resume. I am sure from the level of the money that is spent on hawkeye football and being very close to the team he is a little underwhelmed by the results since mid 2010.

That being said he was also an successful/elite athlete at the level he played and he knows that in a team game like football where 40-50 players are involved in each game there are breakdowns, mistakes, coaching mistakes, etc that can hamper performance and records.

I am sure GB sees a couple of games each year that are losses he thinks should be wins and he does this without going out on a limb.

But the proof is in the pudding that Iowa's passing game has not been super overall that last few years. The running game is just good enough unless you have a Greene, Russell, Jermelle Lewis, or Albert Young.

I would much rather know what recruiting experience GB has as that seems to be a weakness at Iowa.

It has been a long time since we had Ronnie Harmons, larry stations, and even Bob Sanders. I am more disappointed in recruiting right now because that is separating 7-8 wins from being 9-11 wins.

Where we have really failed is in recruiting that stud RB that could make hay with the run blocking we have. Just look at the conference.All the top tier Big teams have a stud at RB. But I don't know if it would really matter the past few years because KF would still start MW at RB.

Not impressed.

Huh??? Was looking for an MBA or something that gave him those great contract negotiation skills.

At least his alma mater can beat Iowa State. :mad:

That was an amazing level of funny and sad all at the same time. Honestly. I will forever refer to this as the "Robin Williams" of HN posts.

(too soon?)

Where we have really failed is in recruiting that stud RB that could make hay with the run blocking we have. Just look at the conference.All the top tier Big teams have a stud at RB. But I don't know if it would really matter the past few years because KF would still start MW at RB.

KF would not start Weismann over a top flight running back. We unfortunately have not had one of those for a number of years so MW gets the carries by default.

I'd like to hear Gary say publicly that we have to do better than 7-5, or 8-4 with a win against one team with a winning record. If he were to say something like, "well, we have to stop talking about what we are going to do and start delivering on the field. I understand set backs happen in programs, but we've had time to correct it, and we need to show the results of that labor by winning a B10 Championship."

I have a hard time believing he puts any pressure on KF at all. I just don't think it happens and it should. It would be interesting to hear Gary say publicly we have underperformed his expectations and our coach needs to do better.

Stop raggin on 45. I'm not happy about our lack in recruiting either, I wish he would have had more of an opportunity to be a FB at Iowa, and be more beloved like an Edgar Cervantes or Mickens.

I'd like to hear Gary say publicly that we have to do better than 7-5, or 8-4 with a win against one team with a winning record. If he were to say something like, "well, we have to stop talking about what we are going to do and start delivering on the field. I understand set backs happen in programs, but we've had time to correct it, and we need to show the results of that labor by winning a B10 Championship." I have a hard time believing he puts any pressure on KF at all. I just don't think it happens and it should. It would be interesting to hear Gary say publicly we have underperformed his expectations and our coach needs to do better.
Even Barta doesn't know what his own standards are. I saw an interview with him on Iowa Press within the past year where he flat stated that his goals were "to compete for national championships" in every single sport. Meanwhile, no Iowa program has even won a Big Ten title since....when? I honestly have no idea. The guy is a buffoon and a clown and I honestly don't even think that he listens to the words that come out of his own mouth.

Barta is an overpaid salesmen and that's it. The guy has a terrible track record overall when it comes to coaching hires and has no real power to fire Ferentz.

Never liked him at all.

Latest posts