Instant Reaction Podcast: Texas Drops Iowa

It looked to me like White, Uthoff and Woody are going to have to play at least 30 minutes a game to be competitive.

It looked to me like White, Uthoff and Woody are going to have to play at least 30 minutes a game to be competitive.

Uthoff was invisible outside of the first couple minutes. He needs to be the guy who takes 12-15 shots a game. People criticized Marble for playing ball but as we saw last year and again tonight, if he didn't shoot it, no one else was going to.

Trey plays a bit fast yet but he is only going to learn by getting more minutes than he got tonight. If Clemmons is the 2 guard then Trey needs to play with the 1's more. You develop him now and get him ready for BIG play. Unlike football, a kid can really make a jump over the course of a basketball season.

Trey plays a bit fast yet but he is only going to learn by getting more minutes than he got tonight. If Clemmons is the 2 guard then Trey needs to play with the 1's more. You develop him now and get him ready for BIG play. Unlike football, a kid can really make a jump over the course of a basketball season.

Clemmons is a PG, and thats it. Gesell is a 2G, and that's it. Trey is a PG who will have to learn to play within himself.

Clemmons is a PG, and thats it. Gesell is a 2G, and that's it. Trey is a PG who will have to learn to play within himself.

I don't agree at all on Gesell as a 2G. I never have. I look for a 2G to score. Mike struggles to hit outside shots and he obviously can't finish at the rim. How in the world can he make it as a 2?

I will say either late in the first half or early in the 2nd he had back to back trips in which he created penetration and created open 3 point shots for his teammates. I think White hit the first and Jok?? missed the 2nd. Anyways what i'm getting at is I think he has a better shot of being a PG and dishing to teammates than he does as a 2.

Last edited:
Honest question....at what point does Fran stop trying to let MG play thru this "slump"? I say "slump" because, honestly, MG hasn't been right since he busted his hand at the end of his freshman year. It appears he peaked, development-wise, then and it's probably about time to start looking at other options. It's never a good thing when your 2 guard is too short, can't shoot consistently, can't dribble drive to the hoop, and plays at times as if he has two left feet. MG seems like a good kid, but for the last year and a half, he's resembled more of a MAC level player than a B1G level starter.

Trey needs game experience. Sure, he’s been out of control at times, got his shot blocked by a tremendous shot blocker tonight. Oh well. He was sought after by a number of good programs because he’s really good at breaking down the D and creating for his teammates. This is the perfect time for him to cut his teeth before conf play.

We all hate losses, but c'mon, we/Iowa learned and benefited more from tonight's game than playing a dozen NDSUs.

Exposure of your weaknesses, especially on national TV sucks, but is a necessary evil if you will.

The TX game is a microcosm of what the B1G holds in store. Better to get a dope-check now than in January/Feb.

We all hate losses, but c'mon, we/Iowa learned and benefited more from tonight's game than playing a dozen NDSUs.

Exposure of your weaknesses, especially on national TV sucks, but is a necessary evil if you will.

The TX game is a microcosm of what the B1G holds in store. Better to get a dope-check now than in January/Feb.

Winner winner chicken dinner! I could not agree more. Unfortunately, we already knew the 2 returning point guards were below average already. Nothing new learned there

Latest posts