Increase in Conference Games?

H8IAST8

We know Ferentz is for adding more conference games, now that the Big Ten has gone to 12 teams and possibly 14 or 16 in the future, do you think there needs to be additional conference games?

12 Teams: 8 games is still fine ala Big 12, SEC
14 Teams: 9 games is a must, possibly 10
16 Teams: 10 games is a must otherwise we will miss out on some big name teams, more so than we do now.

I am still okay with 8. Play all 5 other teams in your div, then 3 of the other rotating home and home with the 3, then after two years switch to the other 3. But it might make it easier for scheduling games, if they went to nine. 10 is too many. they need to have at least 3 non conf games, to mix it up. the non conf games also help work out the your weak areas before you get to conf games.

We know Ferentz is for adding more conference games, now that the Big Ten has gone to 12 teams and possibly 14 or 16 in the future, do you think there needs to be additional conference games?

12 Teams: 8 games is still fine ala Big 12, SEC
14 Teams: 9 games is a must, possibly 10
16 Teams: 10 games is a must otherwise we will miss out on some big name teams, more so than we do now.

16 teams - 13 game schedule. 11 in conference. Play the 7 from your division plus 4 from the other. 2 non-cons.

IMHO @ 12 teams I see 9 conference games and 3 OOC. 5 games within the division and 4 games from the other division with the same rotating format of not playing 2 teams every 2 years.

I hate the missing a team two years in a row, it should be done away with

I like the 9-game conf schedule

play you own division = 5 games

play 4 from the other division

Yr 1, play A, @B, C, @D
Yr 2, play @C, D, @E, F
Yr 3, play E, @F, @A, B
Yr 4, repeat

so in everyone in the other division comes to Kinnick every three years, and the Hawkeyes visit all of those stadiums every 3 years

Nine conference games mean u will play an odd number of road and home games each year
That's already done in the Pac 10. Of course, that was to allow all teams to play each other. Now, with their new number of teams, it will be interesting to see if the Pac 10 goes back to 8 conference games or stays at 9.

Nine conference games mean u will play an odd number of road and home games each year

This may sound completely stupid, but I'm just throwing this up against the wall and seeing if it would stick. Since teams would have 8 home games one year (which would be AWESOME) and 6 game the next, what if the Big Ten had the teams with 8 home games split the revenue for one conference home game with the teams that only had 6 home games. I realize that if it were a Michigan-Northwestern matchup that there's a large discrepancy in revenue, but it's better than nothing. And I like the idea of 9 conference games. It lets you have 2 rivalries in the other division protected (so we could play Penn State every year), and then rotate the other 4 schools every two years.

From what Ive read 8 conf games and a championship game, similar to how the Big X11 and SEC are now. I know in the Big 10 that the conf sched ends with Mich vs OSU if I'm not wrong I know Neb will be pulling for a rival game the day after Thanksgiving then a championship game first week in December.

Last edited:
This may sound completely stupid, but I'm just throwing this up against the wall and seeing if it would stick. Since teams would have 8 home games one year (which would be AWESOME) and 6 game the next, what if the Big Ten had the teams with 8 home games split the revenue for one conference home game with the teams that only had 6 home games. I realize that if it were a Michigan-Northwestern matchup that there's a large discrepancy in revenue, but it's better than nothing. And I like the idea of 9 conference games. It lets you have 2 rivalries in the other division protected (so we could play Penn State every year), and then rotate the other 4 schools every two years.

Wouldn't you schedule your home and home non-conf game so that it lined up at home the year you played 4 home conf games? This would give you 7 home games each year, assuming teams are paying two smalls schools to come and play each year.

Wouldn't you schedule your home and home non-conf game so that it lined up at home the year you played 4 home conf games? This would give you 7 home games each year, assuming teams are paying two smalls schools to come and play each year.

Sorry, I wasn't really clear with what I meant. I meant teams with 5 conference home games and teams with 4 conference home games. Conference games always mean more money, and teams usually like to get out on the road for a non-conference game, just to help prepare for the conference slate. I don't think we'd see teams playing all three non-conference games at home.

Sorry, I wasn't really clear with what I meant. I meant teams with 5 conference home games and teams with 4 conference home games. Conference games always mean more money, and teams usually like to get out on the road for a non-conference game, just to help prepare for the conference slate. I don't think we'd see teams playing all three non-conference games at home.

You might be right, but at some of these schools I bet it's really hard to turn down paying two teams to come in and having the stands full...

do you guys play all of your non conf games at home? I know our non conf sched is not even tough this year blame Stevie P for that one before he was fired. I know soon one of our non conf games is against Miami a home/away deal.

You might be right, but at some of these schools I bet it's really hard to turn down paying two teams to come in and having the stands full...

They wouldn't turn that down. But I think every school will always have a home and home with a BCS program.

I think they should go to 9 conference games. That would keep the same system where you only miss two league teams each year, like it is now. I know it results in an unbalanced schedule with 4 home,5 away...but, in the end,it all evens out.
We saw how a good team can go on the road and beat PSU,Wisky,MSU,and OSU(almost) last year. Good teams can overcome the unbalanced nature of a 9 game schedule. That leaves one non-conference game vs another BCS team,and two cupcakes to help get into a bowl at the end of the year. I think it will separate the pretenders from the contenders..which is good.

I think it stays at 8 conference games. Nebraska will begin play in the 2011 season. Most Bigten teams already have OOC teams contracted for 2011. It would be pretty easy to swap the current 8 Bigten games around anyway the conference wants. These 8 games dates already exist within each teams schedule. It would be much harder to schedule a 9th conference game. Finding the same 9th open date for each pair of teams that would need to play would mean breaking some OOC contracts.

Also, once you go to 9 conference games, you take away a possible cream puff game that all conference teams love.

I think it stays at 8 conference games. Nebraska will begin play in the 2011 season. Most Bigten teams already have OOC teams contracted for 2011. It would be pretty easy to swap the current 8 Bigten games around anyway the conference wants. These 8 games dates already exist within each teams schedule. It would be much harder to schedule a 9th conference game. Finding the same 9th open date for each pair of teams that would need to play would mean breaking some OOC contracts.

Also, once you go to 9 conference games, you take away a possible cream puff game that all conference teams love.

They don't have to start a 9-game schedule right away. They can start that at anytime. If they say they'll start in 2015, they'll have to break almost no OOC contracts, and any that do have to be broken won't hurt the other school, as they would have ample time to find a good replacement.

They don't have to start a 9-game schedule right away. They can start that at anytime. If they say they'll start in 2015, they'll have to break almost no OOC contracts, and any that do have to be broken won't hurt the other school, as they would have ample time to find a good replacement.
Good idea there.

Latest posts