In the internet world, what qualifies as "a source"?

homes

Reading someone else's message board post?

Interpreting a facebook entry?

Hearing about it from a friend, who had heard it from another guy, who had read it on a message board?

This is getting ridiculous; however, it is compelling theatre, watching us fans turn on the players, the coaches and each other.

Um...how about everything I've heard has come from either roommates, peers, or "friends" of the accused....and there hasn't been a word they are telling me any different than themselves, nor a word any different than what others are claiming their "sources" have told them.....all of these "rumors", certainly have legs behind them...

I have a friend (who posts here as well) that has a connection within the program, and he's kept me up on the latest all day (he told me about Jewel leaving this morning).

I have a friend (who posts here as well) that has a connection within the program, and he's kept me up on the latest all day (he told me about Jewel leaving this morning).

I was also told last night that gears were turning for the dismissal of a few guys....same person told me about DJK well before it broke on the news. They didn't elaborate on details...they just said DJK wouldn't be making the trip...at the time of the message all they knew was he had been arrested and something very serious went down at his place of residence. I just think it's amazing how quickly things are imploding, yet nobody wants to acknowledge (I shouldn't say nobody does, but not many do) something very, very serious is around the corner...

I guess I just find it hard to believe that people can't decipher between who is merely posting things just to get people riled up, and who is posting things that have truth behind them. I know there certainly are posters who have made completely irrelevant and tasteless posts/accusations and when those pop up they are pretty easy to dismiss. But like the DJK thing...I can't remember who it was who posted the theory of the fallout and suspension, but the post was immediately discredited and for a short time he was being viewed as if he was trolling or something....and then voila, DJK busted big time and the very fight he was filling the message board in on is brought to light in a newspaper writer's column....there definitely are people on this message board that either personally know things, or know people that know things...some choose to share info, others don't, and I can't blame them for not wanting to. I don't share every rumor I hear because I know exactly how it will be received...but I'd say 95 percent of what I've read on here through this evening, I have heard basically verbatim from people not posting here...or on any of tos.

I haven't got the first clue as to how to decipher which posts like that are accurate and which are just BS rumors. So I typically elect to treat them all as false, especially when they are as serious as the ones flying around now. If it's not a big deal either way, I'll maybe run with it. But this is different. This is either true or the poster is trolling/rumormongering. And there's a big difference between the two, it's just not discernable up front.

However, the guy I've gotten my info from today is a guy that I trust, and he sounded quite sure of his source.

I believe EdHightower posted the DJK stuff. I dismissed that stuff, too. It's typically best to dismiss stuff like that until it's confirmed, for sanity's sake.

I have faith in what you guys are posting here. But until confirmed by the school publicly you will never be 100% in the know. And realistically once any news is made public we most times feel left out on many of the details, so Im just taking it easy on the rumors.

I just hate taking a tweet from somebody you dont even know and using that as your source. Sure if it was Jon or TK, RH, MM and they have it on of good authority from somebody inside. But all we have right this second at shy of 5am is just rumors and they can all run wild(Wegher and B10 expansion).

I have faith in what you guys are posting here. But until confirmed by the school publicly you will never be 100% in the know. And realistically once any news is made public we most times feel left out on many of the details, so Im just taking it easy on the rumors.

I just hate taking a tweet from somebody you dont even know and using that as your source. Sure if it was Jon or TK, RH, MM and they have it on of good authority from somebody inside. But all we have right this second at shy of 5am is just rumors and they can all run wild(Wegher and B10 expansion).

Well to be fair, we kinda nailed that one (I couldn't help the pun :D).

I get what you are saying but this whole situation just has a totally different feel to it than rumor mongering. Yeah there are a lot of rumors getting tossed around and some of them have been in pretty poor taste. I definitely don't believe it's necessary to attach names until that person is indeed proven to be involved and the extent of their involvement is known. Another reason I don't like to repeat rumors is just that, I don't want to turn around and have to say "boy I was wrong". But I have absolutely no problem saying that the numerous accounts of what people have been claiming to have heard, have matched what the person talking to me has heard, minus names because he hasn't included many names at all, just that there are guys, who were not so randomly selected for testing, and it didn't go well for them.

And that testing thing isn't something I just heard about, or heard about after visiting the boards. I just didn't want to be the one to bring it up, and then be the one chastised for starting another "rumor". Now that it's out there....it is definitely something that I had been told earlier in the day was a definite possibility.

I have a unwitting personal source myself. My daughter graduates from the U of I this week. This semester she has had a class with a friend of DJK. The reason she knows he is a friend of DJK is that he won't shut up about it. He has shown my daughter and other classmates pictures of himself and DJK together as he seemed to feel a need to prove he was associated with him and other football players. He also hasn't been shy about DJK having been somewhat of a cokehead along with a handful of other players.

My daughter has told me a variety of tidbits from this guy for the last couple of months now. I always brushed it off as just some guy wanting to feel cool by association as did my daughter. Now it turns out his info on DJK was true. Other rumors I am reading about other players also line up with the tidbits he has been throwing out there.

Her last class with this guy was Friday. According to him the electronic media which I believe is a laptop and a phone that were taken in the arrest contain alot of pictures of DJK and friends actually doing the drugs. H e also says the U of I plays some part in the sealing of the arrest warrant from the media for 90 days so as the U of I has some time to deal with things accordingly.

This is my own personal source as you will. I never wanted to believe any of it but now bit by bit it seems to be lining up with what lots of others are also throwing out there and what Morehouse and other media guys are putting out there as well. Take it for what it's worth but I'm guessing there are a handful of other sources similar to this.

I just hate taking a tweet from somebody you dont even know and using that as your source.

I don't have to know someone personally to know whether they are a credible source.......if they have a track record of being right, then take it to the bank. Esp. in this info-at-your-fingertips-in-a-second world

However, the guy I've gotten my info from today is a guy that I trust, and he sounded quite sure of his source.

I believe EdHightower posted the DJK stuff. I dismissed that stuff, too. It's typically best to dismiss stuff like that until it's confirmed, for sanity's sake.

You, Jon Miller, and everyone else can dismiss it until you get "word from on high" - but that doesn't change the fact that when there's smoke there's fire.

And 9/10 when things like this explode over Hawkeye fan Sites......they have truth behind them!!

Just a matter of time until the truth comes out......

I have a unwitting personal source myself. My daughter graduates from the U of I this week. This semester she has had a class with a friend of DJK. The reason she knows he is a friend of DJK is that he won't shut up about it. He has shown my daughter and other classmates pictures of himself and DJK together as he seemed to feel a need to prove he was associated with him and other football players. He also hasn't been shy about DJK having been somewhat of a cokehead along with a handful of other players.

My daughter has told me a variety of tidbits from this guy for the last couple of months now. I always brushed it off as just some guy wanting to feel cool by association as did my daughter. Now it turns out his info on DJK was true. Other rumors I am reading about other players also line up with the tidbits he has been throwing out there.

Her last class with this guy was Friday. According to him the electronic media which I believe is a laptop and a phone that were taken in the arrest contain alot of pictures of DJK and friends actually doing the drugs. H e also says the U of I plays some part in the sealing of the arrest warrant from the media for 90 days so as the U of I has some time to deal with things accordingly.

This is my own personal source as you will. I never wanted to believe any of it but now bit by bit it seems to be lining up with what lots of others are also throwing out there and what Morehouse and other media guys are putting out there as well. Take it for what it's worth but I'm guessing there are a handful of other sources similar to this.

BINGO......But in a hr this post will be deleted. Why? Because not only is the UofI playing damage control with their football program......their trying to control what is said through online sources. That's why Jon's contacts told him one thing, and posters here have seen and heard another!!

If you love drama - This is just getting good........the U comes to Iowa City!
But as a Hawk, it's disappoints me! I thought we were better than this.....

Reading someone else's message board post?

Interpreting a facebook entry?

Hearing about it from a friend, who had heard it from another guy, who had read it on a message board?

This is getting ridiculous; however, it is compelling theatre, watching us fans turn on the players, the coaches and each other.

You, me, everyone who has posted in thread.

I had no names or specifics but I was told a couple of days ago when I asked someone about DJK..."And it's most likely that he's not the only one that's not going to make the trip..."

So with the facebook status update...what other's are "hearing" alligning with what I have heard...I would be really surprised if multiple people don't get tossed....too many "reports" are all coming together in the same fashion.

Right after DJK got arrested......I had the same feeling that I had when the Tiger Woods story broke. I thought there's more to this than we know.......was just a matter of time.

Heck, who doesn't have a source should be the question? I heard about problems with the WR on the team clear back at the Michigan St. game (nothing specific, just their were problems). I didn't think much of it, as at the time we were just a couple plays from being undefeated. Heard the DJK stuff before it broke, heard the Hampton stuff before it broke, and I heard one other thing I have not seen yet.

It seems my "source" is pretty spot on, but I still would never post anything at all based on that. Who really cares anyway, are we trying to have a contest on who has some solid "source" or something? I heard something, and it either turns out to be true, or it doesn't, time will sort that stuff out. I guess I don't find the need to call my friends and tell them, or post it to HN, or tweet about it, or update my Facebook......

I just find it funny when people want to run to the computer because they heard something about the football team, whether it's from a good "source" or not........That is what happens in high school too, usually by a bunch of teenage girls.....just saying.......

^actually we're putting together a HawkeyeNation "Source leaderboard"...it's going to be a good ole fashioned pissin contest.