In the context of Iowa Football History...

I believe that given the last trip to Miami and the ramifications it could have moving forward into next year, it's safe to say this arguably COULD be the biggest bowl in, wow, 52 years! Then we just have to hope we can hold on to Bulaga and Spievey for one more year!!!

In the context of how college football has changed since 1958, I think it is feasible to call it the biggest victory in Iowa history if it happens.

no way you can say that this upcoming orange bowl would be the biggest iowa bowl victory ever, if it happens. If this were 1958 today, would iowa have even made it to a bowl game with this record? very hard to say. weren't only the conference winners awarded a bowl game back in the day?

In the context of recent history (i.e the last 30 years) I agree that it would be the most significant victory. In the context of the history of our program the 1959 Rose Bowl is and will remain the most significant victory as the Hawks ultimately received the Grantland Rice trophy which was, at the time, one of the recognized National Championship trophys. I believe LSU received a variant so it was a split National Championship (as may were in those days). You will note that Iowa actually has 5 variations of National Championships to its credit although the Football Office and the Athletic Dept. seem to only embrace the 1958 team as true National Champtions (which I think is unfortunate). Recall that Howard Jones coached two undefeated Iowa teams in the 1920's that were recognized as National Champtions in some form and this was discussed by Beano Cook on the ESPNU podcast last month in the context of Nick Saban's attempt to win the NC at two schools (LSU and Alabama). Beano correctly pointed out that Saban would not be the first to do so - that honor lies with Howard Jones who did so at both Iowa and USC.

Last edited:
I would rate this higher if our opponent was Texas, Alabama or Florida. GT just doesn't carry as much weight. No doubt this could be important if we start next year in the top 10 in the polls and have another year like this with a better finish. I know Kirk doesn't care about the polls (at least he claims) but if we don't start in the top ten we may never get a shot at a national championship.

I would rate this higher if our opponent was Texas, Alabama or Florida. GT just doesn't carry as much weight. No doubt this could be important if we start next year in the top 10 in the polls and have another year like this with a better finish. I know Kirk doesn't care about the polls (at least he claims) but if we don't start in the top ten we may never get a shot at a national championship.

I don't see how the opponent plays into the size of the game. We beat down Florida in 2004, so since we played Florida does that mean it is our greatest win ever?

I agree this would be our biggest bowl victory.

A win in the Orange Bowl would be HUGE for the program. It would also be a very nice ending to one very special season and a special group of football players and coaches. This season has countless "good" stories.

I think our beat down of scUM in the big house would be bigger than a vicorty in the OB. To a lot of people that win signified that Iowa was back to being a force to be reckoned with in the Big10. Sure we had won some games and had some success under KF but that really signified he was going to do some big things... maybe even bigger things than Hayden.

Today is the day! Good luck to all of the Hawkeyes and all of the Iowa fans in Miami!!!! I hope that you witness the biggest Iowa bowl victory in 51 years!!!!

1956 Rose Oregon State 35-19 W
1958 Rose California 38-12 W
1981 Rose Washington 0-28 L
1982 Peach Tennessee 28-22 W
1983 Gator Florida 6-14 L
1984 Freedom Texas 55-17 W
1985 Rose UCLA 28-45 L
1986 Holiday San Diego St. 39-38 W
1987 Holiday Wyoming 20-19 W
1988 Peach N.C. State 23-28 L
1990 Rose Washington 34-46 L
1991 Holiday BYU 13-13 T
1993 Alamo California 3-37 L
1995 Sun Washington 38-18 W
1996 Alamo Texas Tech 27-0 W
1997 Sun Arizona State 7-17 L
2001 Alamo Texas Tech 19-16 W
2002 Orange USC 17-38 L
2003 Outback Florida 37-17 W
2004 Capital One LSU 30-25 W
2005 Outback Florida 24-31 L
2006 Alamo Texas 24-26 L
2008 Outback South Carolina 31-10 W
2009 Orange Georgia Tech ? ?

Looking at the history, I would say that a win today would be second only to the 1958 Rose Bowl. A win in 1985 or vs USC in 2003 would have been bigger but those opportunities are gone.