In order to win the Hawks need to:

HawkeyeJim75

get the ball into their play makers. Powell- obvious speed who gets yards after catch. Smith- decent speed, a true play maker who also gets yards after catch, Parker- new comer with tremendous speed who for the most part gets productive yards when touches the ball. Weisman- needs at least 25-30 carries. For the most part will move the chains. He gets positive yards. Ferentz needs to be willing to give Beathard more of a chance. The long ball only happens when he is in the game.

1. start running quick slants to Smith, powell and whoever is good at going over the middle. The quick slant would have been great yesterday with the pressure being put on Rudock. The pass is usually open, can be a hot read, and can lead to big plays in the creases with YAC for a short high percentage pass.

I saw the quick slant used by a lot of high powered offenses this year, baylor, OU, OSU, many.

Iowa/GD does not seem to know it exists. We do run the deeper slant once every 10 series.

Last edited:
get the ball into their play makers. Powell- obvious speed who gets yards after catch. Smith- decent speed, a true play maker who also gets yards after catch, Parker- new comer with tremendous speed who for the most part gets productive yards when touches the ball. Weisman- needs at least 25-30 carries. For the most part will move the chains. He gets positive yards. Ferentz needs to be willing to give Beathard more of a chance. The long ball only happens when he is in the game.

Agree, they also need to find an offensive identity. How about like you said, work on running the ball with MW and JC and then play action pass with the qb starting under center for the most part, pound it and bomb it.

I would prefer CJ now because teams know JR's pass speed is slow and he doesnt take the shots.

I would like to see CJ get 5-10 run-pass options out from under center.

AND HERE IS THE KICKER, LETS RUN A TRUE ZONE READ WITH JAKE OR CJ!!!! We need to use the qb as a running threat to open up blocking angles and keep the backside pursuit at a minimum.

You realize KF wont change a thing? So whats the point in suggesting what the team should do? The reason we lost is the same reason we lost to ISU. The coaches cant decide what they want to do, and they fail to see the strategy that works. Our running game was working, yet we get away from it.

Start CJ. It's time. We have little chance of being better than mediocre unless CJ starts. We need to start getting him game experience. The cavalry is not coming. We would be 4-3 right now, against maybe the weakest schedule of my life, if he didn't dig us out of a 10 point deficit at Pitt.

1. start running quick slants to Smith, powell and whoever is good at going over the middle. The quick slant would have been great yesterday with the pressure being put on Rudock. The pass is usually open, can be a hot read, and can lead to big plays in the creases with YAC for a short high percentage pass.

I saw the quick slant used by a lot of high powered offenses this year, baylor, OU, OSU, many.

Iowa/GD does not seem to know it exists. We do run the deeper slant once every 10 series.

This would be a very good start

Throw the ball, vertically down the field Stop the horizontal passing crap. Too many no yardage plays.

Stop blitzing with the inexperienced LB's......get pressure from experienced Front 4, cover on back end. (Norm to Phil)

1)tackle
2) throw a few deep balls to playmakers. nobody is scared of KMM burning them deep but but Powell in there and the CB's cornhole gets a bit tight.

Take pressure off their O-line and QB by establishing the run early.

I never thought I'd have to say that about an Iowa team.

Latest posts