In my 56 years of watching Iowa BB..

Some of you might be misunderstanding what the OP wrote. He wrote biggest talent. Not necessarily best player. The dude is jacked up. He can jump out of the gym. Physically he's just a freak of a player and at times shows it. That possession where he dribbled it up the court zigging and zagging and got to the rim to draw a foul was crazy impressive. It was 'Lebronish" in that as big as he was he easily dribbled it up the court like that. He's just physically unstoppable at this level. If he had Lebrons basketball IQ he'd be in the NBA. He doesn't need a 3 pt shot (although that'd be sick) to be about as unstoppable of a player as can be at this level. If he could get some more court awareness look out...
He’s not even close to the biggest talent come on.

Cook is very skilled athletically and talented to a degree right now but he also has bad hands and makes lots of turnovers
I agree. Sometimes when I watch the ball get knocked out of his hands, I think he's related to:

Dooneese-Maharelle-Cats.gif

Bobby Hanson was ripping him on the broadcast yesterday for not boxing out, saying he just stands there and watches the ball go into the other teams hands.

Imagine if Cook used good fundamentals and improved his 15 foot shot. He should stay another year, work on the fundamentals and his shooting and he could go first round in the '19 draft.

Bobby Hanson was ripping him on the broadcast yesterday for not boxing out, saying he just stands there and watches the ball go into the other teams hands.

Imagine if Cook used good fundamentals and improved his 15 foot shot. He should stay another year, work on the fundamentals and his shooting and he could go first round in the '19 draft.
But who at Iowa is going to teach him these things, particularly the boxing out part? It's old school, but from the best rebounder of all time, maybe Cook could learn something -

images

Cook is an absolute freak athlete and if he develops the mid range jump shot, I think he could certainly fit that title of most talented but I don't think he fits it right now.

Cook is only averaging 2 more points a game than JBo. I think sometimes the excitement of his athleticism and the power dunking is certainly fun to watch but it's harder for Tyler to impact the game because he doesn't have the ball in his hands as much as a guard.

But who at Iowa is going to teach him these things, particularly the boxing out part? It's old school, but from the best rebounder of all time, maybe Cook could learn something -

images

Do you really need to teach someone how to box out? Or by teach, do you just mean get on him over and over until it sinks in? In my opinion, with defense and rebounding, it's not that Fran can't teach it. It's that he doesn't stress it enough.

Definitely glad he is a Hawkeye, but I wouldn't put him in the pantheon of players. Others have listed all of the best of the best in this thread. Note that he leads the team in turnovers with 80 so far. Also, someone as athletic as he is should be able to block a lot more shots. Garza has 32, Cook is fourth with 19.

And as others have pointed out he doesn't box out or position properly for rebounding. I have noticed that often he is under the basket - totally out of position.

If we had an assistant coach who could work with Tyler to improve in these three areas, he could ended up as one of the best of the best.

Last edited:
Do you really need to teach someone how to box out? Or by teach, do you just mean get on him over and over until it sinks in? In my opinion, with defense and rebounding, it's not that Fran can't teach it. It's that he doesn't stress it enough.
I have not been to one Iowa basketball practice, so I can only base my supposition on what I watch in person and on tv, but I question whether it's stressed at all, not whether it's stressed enough. To answer your first question, you must teach someone how to do so, it includes knowing where the ball is being shot from, what angle a miss is likely to take, where to position yourself relative to your opponent to cut off that angle, keeping your feet moving, as a few of the fundamentals, and which also includes going over and over it until it sinks in.

I have not been to one Iowa basketball practice, so I can only base my supposition on what I watch in person and on tv, but I question whether it's stressed at all, not whether it's stressed enough. To answer your first question, you must teach someone how to do so, it includes knowing where the ball is being shot from, what angle a miss is likely to take, where to position yourself relative to your opponent to cut off that angle, keeping your feet moving, as a few of the fundamentals, and which also includes going over and over it until it sinks in.

I guess I'm just assuming that those are so basic, that all college players already know all that. It just has to be stressed to them to do it. Maybe I'm wrong on that assumption.

Ricky Davis was a 6'7 wing player who was drafted in the 1st round after his FR year on his talent alone. Cook isn't in his stratosphere.

Cook is athletic for Iowa standards. Davis was athletic by NBA standards.

Bobby probably knows he's transferring so he's trying to soften the blow to the fans haha. In all seriousness Cook is a special talent and he can be as good as he wants to be with the physical tools he was gifted.

I guess I'm just assuming that those are so basic, that all college players already know all that. It just has to be stressed to them to do it. Maybe I'm wrong on that assumption.
Playing defense is hard work. It's not a lot of fun. Other than blocking a shot, you don't get to display your athleticism very much. And in high school, if you're a major college level talent, most nights you can get away with being just superior to your opponent, so you don't have to worry about the basics. So, if it's taught, my sense is that it's ignored because it's not often necessary. Then, it gets exposed in college when you're playing against other similar, if not better, talent. Some learn/re-learn it.

I will add that we have no idea if Fran stresses anything to him or not. He may very well stress that kind of thing 20 times a day for all we know....but IMO, TC's abilities may be off the chart, his basketball IQ - seems very low. Not to say he isn't smart, just that he seems to not have it between the ears when it comes to decision making at times. He could also use another really good ball handler that can bail him out. We don't have it. I think fundamentals are taught but every player absorbs teaching at different rates and that comes with time for most players. I took guitar lessons when I was a kid - same basic fundamentals were shown to me OVER AND OVER and I quit taking those basic lessons 4 times when I was young. Gave up. Couldn't play, couldn't grasp the concepts. I took the same basic lessons 10 years later - was taught the same things I couldn't figure out when I was a kid and now I shred yo. It wasn't that I wasn't being taught, I wasn't grasping it. Most people don't retain a whole lot of what they are taught until they either mature and have a "AH HA" moment or it's beat into their heads through reps.

He for sure does too much of that. He gets 5 boards a game by just being out there and it bouncing to him. If he'd work half as hard as Evans did at it he'd be a 15 pt 12 rebound a game guy. That's just an instinctual effort thing some have and some don't. For some that light might click on later or not at all. Sure be nice if it would for him

I'm not trying to rip on Cook, I just think with some application, he could be a major force inside. Reggie Evans is a great example. Cook has more offensive talent, but Reggie Evans made a long NBA career for himself because he was relentless on defense. There's room on NBA rosters for that kind of guy. Cook could be that guy.

Tomato-tomaato. Teaching it IS stressing it's importance and coaching it over and over and over again in practice. AND..pulling a guy out no matter how talented his is...when he's not doing it in a game. And yes...unfortunately you do need to teach some guys how to box out. Many players come in having dominated on physical talent only and need work on fundamentals...Cook being an example.

Going from good to great or from great athlete to great player is equal parts coaching and desire to work hard on the player's part. There are 4 coaches on staff including Fran, that's 1 for every 4 players...including the walk ons. I'll repeat what others have asked....What do they do with practice time?!

Cook is an absolute freak athlete and if he develops the mid range jump shot, I think he could certainly fit that title of most talented but I don't think he fits it right now.

Cook is only averaging 2 more points a game than JBo. I think sometimes the excitement of his athleticism and the power dunking is certainly fun to watch but it's harder for Tyler to impact the game because he doesn't have the ball in his hands as much as a guard.

Bigs need the others to pass them the ball. When we play inside out, we win. Cook is a dominant player in the making. Is he an all time great? No. But he could become that if he stays 2 more seasons. Having said that, he IS the most important player we have because he is unstoppable inside and that opens up everything else for us on offense. You can now add Garza in that category. But right now, Garza needs Cook on the floor so Garza doesn't get doubled.

On defense, Cook and all of our other post defenders are only as good as our perimeter defense. That's been basketball since the beginning of time. If guards don't keep ball penetration out of the lane, bigs have to scramble and help and that leaves a man open. Cook is a very good rebound and rim defender. But I see that he plays, sometimes, to not get into foul trouble.

Latest posts