Improving Offense Focus of Iowa Spring

“But playing complementary football and not being reckless with the football is a big part of that, and being good on special teams. That's been a big part of our (Kirk don’t you mean MY ) blueprint, I guess, and if you coach offense sometimes you may pay a price because maybe we're not going to throw it out there when we're just trying to win the game in the last quarter, play it smartly that way.”

This is the comment I mentioned on another thread. My blood pressure still goes up when I read this type of mindset.

Don’t expect change if this is the way it’s going be.

None of this is shocking. KF is KF. Its his program. Its going to be run his way. He will allow Lester to implement his offense just like he did Davis, but he will put a governor on it.

KF doing so does not make my blood boil. He has a formula and largely it has been successful. What does make my blood boil is how he could keep running Hill out at QB last year when he was a turnover machine. Hill is antithetical to KF's philosophy and he still won't move on from him. Even in Spring ball. Maddening.

None of this is shocking. KF is KF. Its his program. Its going to be run his way. He will allow Lester to implement his offense just like he did Davis, but he will put a governor on it.

KF doing so does not make my blood boil. He has a formula and largely it has been successful. What does make my blood boil is how he could keep running Hill out at QB last year when he was a turnover machine. Hill is antithetical to KF's philosophy and he still won't move on from him. Even in Spring ball. Maddening.

The takeaway for me is that sources who have watched practice are saying that Hill still looks better than Lainez in practice. While sad, if true, it does not change the fact that we have seen enough of a sample size of Hill in games to know he is not a playmaker and cannot protect the football. While players can develop, Lester aint Willy Wonka. Once again, KF seems to be pressing towards a season where we have a glass jaw QB1 with Deacon Hill on deck. uggggg!!!!

The takeaway for me is that sources who have watched practice are saying that Hill still looks better than Lainez in practice. While sad, if true, it does not change the fact that we have seen enough of a sample size of Hill in games to know he is not a playmaker and cannot protect the football. While players can develop, Lester aint Willy Wonka. Once again, KF seems to be pressing towards a season where we have a glass jaw QB1 with Deacon Hill on deck. uggggg!!!!

I would take Willie Wonka at QB over Hill.

I came away with the same impression you did. Hopefully given enough reps Lainez is a quick learner.

can Kirk graduate from "complemenary football" and talk about scoring? please? Its getting really fucking old

The terminology is old but the concept is correct. That’s his way of saying we should have a well balanced football program where as aspects of the team are equally working together. The sum of all parts. Unfortunately the offensive parts are missing.

It’s like going to a used car dealership and finding that perfect car. Mint condition inside and out, an older couple owned it and had it garaged since it was new. It’s what you have been looking for for weeks.

The salesman gets you the keys. You excitedly jump in for a test drive with your wife and the car salesman. You put on your seat belts adjust all your mirrors and turn the keys……………… dead silence. You pop the hood just to find no engine or transmission. You angrily yell at the salesman and ask what the hell kind of dealership is this??? He responds “The defense and special teams are great!”

Last edited:
It’s been quiet from spring practice. Seems like a few player interviews from the offensive side of the ball would be interesting to get a feel for the difference if any in the offensive approach.

Obviously all eyes will be focused on the offense this year. We all know the defense will be solid. Also the kicking game will be a question mark this year.

The terminology is old but the concept is correct. That’s his way of saying we should have a well balanced football program where as aspects of the team are equally working together. The sum of all parts. Unfortunately the offensive parts are missing.

It’s like going to a used car dealership and finding that perfect car. Mint condition inside and out, an older couple owned it and had it garaged since it was new. It’s what you have been looking for for weeks.

The salesman gets you the keys. You excitedly jump in for a test drive with your wife and the car salesman. You put on your seat belts adjust all your mirrors and turn the keys……………… dead silence. You pop the hood just to find no engine or transmission. You angrily yell at the salesman and ask what the hell kind of dealership is this??? He responds “The defense and special teams are great!”
I wish I could believe your translation of complementary football is also Kirk's. I don't. He treats offense like a necessary evil and has for years. I'll believe it's Kirk's definition of complementary football when Kirk gives the OC as much freedom as he does the DC. If he can't trust the OC with that much freedom, he shouldn't have hired him.

It seems that Hill is a very bright guy and a quick learner. He captured the back-up job last Spring and it is likely because he can pick up a playbook and quickly learn and execute the offense . . . against cones and practice squad guys. So, I can't say that I am shocked that he is, once again, more quickly absorbing Lester's new system and terminology. He probably does, in fact, look better and more efficient.

But again, once the lights are on and the 300 pound tackles come flying in, Hill pumps out turnovers like a loose slot machine. Dammit!!

If Lester has any sense of self-preservation, he better find a way to push Hill down that depth chart, no matter what he looks like the first two weeks of learning his (assuredly complex) playbook.

Hill seems to have the most annoying flaw KF sees in a QB, turnovers. What could possibly have kept this guy on the field? Now the new offense appears at first glance (from videos and Western Michigan) to rely on a quick read by the QB, although fewer options. Again, Hill did not show acceptably quick and correct reads. That would surely make Lester extremely frustrated.

Our QBing took a 90 degree drop when Nate Stanley left. I think this was more of a Brian preference. At this point it is impossible to see Deke Hill on the starting team in any scenario.

Latest posts