Improvement this season

FreddyBrown

I'm not an x's and o's expert--probably not many of us are. I can see results and I can see when something is working well and when it isn't, but don't ask me to break down the specific reasons why if it isn't working--other than the obvious things such as turnovers, missed shots, and failure to block out on the boards.

So, for those of you who both (a) believe you see improvement in the play of this team over the last several games or over the season and (b) can explain what you see to non-x's and o's types like me, I'd like to hear it and maybe it'll help me watch for what you're seeing.

I'm not spoiling for a fight here. I personally don't see a lot of change but the purpose of the question is to find out what others think they're seeing.

Thanks in advance.

I will throw in one thing that still needs improvement that has frustrated me and has been evident in our last three games. When we're trying to defend any kind of a break our guys seem to back off too far and make it much too easy for the opponent to pull up for a very short jumper. That happened two or three times in a row against Illinois. McCamey was able to drive to within a few feet of the hoop and our guy was still backpedaling to the point where he was almost under the basket.

I assume this is related in part to quickness--the more of a disadvantage you have in quickness, the more room you may need to give your opponent so he doesn't blow completely past you. However, when you're backpedaling on the break and are already getting into the paint, isn't it time to close in and stop the penetration?

Ever since Fuller has returned full speed, Iowa has been playing better. He seems to be comfortable, and is attacking the glass, as well as, looking for his own shot. Also, now that May has been primarily on the perimeter, he has played better. It seems like ever since he was asked to guard Battle, this has happened. Early in the year, he was guarding post players, and was pretty ineffective.

All of this is from my VERY untrained eye. But the major improvements seem to be from players establishing their roles and positions on the team.

I do think there's been a clearer rotation of players in most recent games, and that tends to facilitate improvement generally.

I also agree that Fuller has improved individually. I just wish he could start showing in games the outside shot Lick says he has in practice. Since he's not bad at putting the ball on the floor, that could really add a dimension to his game and make him a threat to drive and score off the shot fake.

I am no expert but I see better ball movement, better spacing, better help defense and just more cohesion or everyone being on the same page. Mostly we take good shots. Screening is better, feeding the post is better. Rebounding has certainly improved.

There is more but I will stop there. I think the team right now could beat the team we started the season with (including Tucker) by at least 25 points.

FreddyBrown;52342[B said:
]I do think there's been a clearer rotation of players in most recent games[/B], and that tends to facilitate improvement generally.

I also agree that Fuller has improved individually. I just wish he could start showing in games the outside shot Lick says he has in practice. Since he's not bad at putting the ball on the floor, that could really add a dimension to his game and make him a threat to drive and score off the shot fake.

If history is an indicator, I bet that changes in the near future for unknown reasons.

I think we are doing the major things pretty well. We are missing someone that can dribble drive and we are missing a rebounder. Other than that, I like our team; just missing some peices right now

I think we are doing the major things pretty well. We are missing someone that can dribble drive and we are missing a rebounder. Other than that, I like our team; just missing some peices right now

I think Payne can be that penetrator, as well as May. Fuller and Cole will get better in the post, Cougill will be improved in the paint next year, and incoming freshman Cody Larson should help us quite a bit if he can put on some more weight. The core of players is in place, and like you said, we just need another piece or two.

Glad you started a thread like this, Freddy. I was going to start something related but didn't want it to descend into a chastising diatribe against the myopians, (oops, there's that chastising tendency, again). I mean I wanted it to offer a realistic perspective / assessment of where the team is at and where they are going.

First, if you cannot overcome being compelled to constantly whine about "the system", cannot get past the "this is year 3" griping and just don't like the Lickliters (as evidenced by the personal attacks by many) then read no further. This isn't for you. If you're capable of viewing this from the big open pit that was Iowa bball, waiting to be filled with the key building blocks, then read on.

Going into this season, rational expectations were as follows:
#1) Progress toward competitive basketball.
Check. Anyone paying attention througout the BigXI season can clearly see this is happening. Far more athleticly and physically gifted Iowa teams have been run off the floor at MSU and OSU. With the exception of Michigan, Iowa has been in positions to win every single game over the last several weeks.

#2) Play like champions. Play with pride for yourself, your coach and for your university.
Check. See #1. This team keeps playing as if it is going to win. It plays with heart and effort. Of course, these characteristics alone are not going to win you many games but in the context of building the program, these are crucial to the foundation of future success.

#2a) Absolutely no attrition due "personal" reasons. (Sorry Tyler, sorry Jake. Really, sorry for your situations and losses. Bottom line, your decisions had as much to do with a dislike for TL / his style, little loyalty to the U of Iowa and your own personal betterment as it did with any pressing family situation. Not begrudging you for making a choice but, at best, the situations made your departure easier to "explain" but let's not sugar coat it with the emotional "high road".)
This has yet to be graded. Hopefully, the rumors of Payne leaving are hooey. However, if there's more "unnatural" attrition pointing to even the suspicion of a personality clash with TL, then he must be let go, immediately.

#3) Begin to see some semblence of continuity on offense.
Check. This is about as in depth as I'm going with X's + O's. Again, if you're paying attention, you are beginning to see that any system can have success with the right personnel and competent execution of some of the most basic fundamentals of the game. (Sound familiar Hawkeye football fans?)
-- Spacing, positioning and timing are all greatly improved:
I.E. (to the chagrin of many) that archaic on-ball pick / roll is resulting in some nice set-ins for Cole (execution and timing of the pass);
-- The inside game, while still a work in progress, is utilized more and more and the inside-out game is getting some great looks for the 3.

So far, so good in the "checklist" department of reasonable expectations. IMEO, the encouraging perspective sees the obvious: much less "systematic" / "coaching" concerns and far more "execution" concerns.

Let's break that down to context.
1) Youth and Experience.
Right now, here's my all around (skills, athleticism, productivity) ranking of the players: Fuller, May, Gatens, Payne, Cole, Cougill, Tucker, Lickliter, Brommer, Bawinkel.
Your 8 man rotation = 3 true frosh, 3 true soph (one has yet to play a BigXI game), a true junior (with the experience = rs soph due to injury), a senior (who's yet to demonstrate the consistent ability to fulfill the one dimension he might possess and who's a liability in every other aspect of the game.)
As far as individuals go ...

Fuller is cementing himself as a solid BigXI player at the 4. He still has great upside in developing his all around game and his confidence and controlled aggressiveness will continue to grow.

May is an athletic freak that will cover for him when his skills aren't on. You want to coach it and direct it as much as you can but, mostly, you just want to let that horse run and ride him when he's hot. You don't have a Naismith finalist personally pull you aside to give you props and encourage you to develop your skills to become a star if you ain't got the goods.

Payne is going to be a very good BigXI pg. He already possesses a Scott Skiles / Drew Neitzel type of mental toughness and confidence you need at his position. I never like true frosh pg's being forced into such extensive action because they tend to retain the habits that worked when they were high school studs but just don't at this level (drive / jump-pass, anyone?). He's shown flashes of what he can do when he attacks, and flashes of being a true frosh with his passes into the 12th row. Everything he does wrong is fixable with court savvy that will come with experience not only against this level of competition but with his teammates.

Gaten's is struggling. Unfortunately, thanks to Tucker being on extended spring break each January, he is your go-to outside shooter and he's just not hitting. I don't know if it's the dreaded "sophomore slump", whether he's trying to do too much, whether he's athletically overmatched or just frustrated. The bottom line is he's really underachieving at crucial times when he's needed the most.

Cole, bless his heart (he's got a lot of it), is a round peg in a square hole. He's got the skills for an inside game but he's just physically overmatched, giving up 3 - 5 inches every game. His success is going to come from hard work, positioning, timing (those 3 make up 90% of rebounding) and execution. Frankly, he's struggled with that last one -- too many times on offense he's losing his position advantage, if not turning it over, fumbling around with the ball.

Cougill is a wide-body, space-eater that the Hawks desparately need. Unfortunately, he's soft and green -- not in a deragatory way but in a baby-fat, true-frosh tentative, gotta tell the big guy to mix it up sort of way. I like what he brings to the table but it's a matter of time, experience, conditioning and mind-set from what I've seen. (None of which are out of the ordinary for true frosh, by the way.) Here's where maybe Archie's injury has exposed this deficit -- not so much in that Archie was expected to be an all BigXI center but having more size would go a long way toward keeping things honest.

All-in-all, while you've got a very good nucleus of talent, skills and athleticism, you have a pretty healthy deficit of experience, depth and positional size. Unfortunately, those are the things you can't coach. You can't keep blaming TL for what he can't control. (Yes, he's responsible for recruiting to his needs but Tucker's out because of his own immaturity / inability to handle his booze and Archie is injured. That's 25% of what would have been your 8-man rotation.)

2) Back to "Execution".
In the traditional Iowa way, historical success is almost always the result of out-working and out-executing the more talented opponent. While I think this team is succeeding at the out-working / effort side of the ledger, they are struggling with the execution.

I offered examples in the individual breakdowns, above. While there are plenty of "mind-fart" examples from the (relative) veterans, for the most part the struggles fall under the universally accepted concept that youth and inexperience = inconsistent execution.

As I mentioned above, there's more evidence that the lack of W's is less "coaching / system" related and more "execution" related. The biggest example is the poor shooting. It isn't because of a lack of open looks, it's because of a failure to finish.
-- Gatens and Bawinkel are shooting 36.5% and 36.8% compared to 42.2% and 36.1% last year; Gatens 3-point shooting is 34.4% vs 40.3% last year.
-- the team is shooting 41.4% vs 44.2% last year; from 3, it's 32.4% vs 36.4% last year.
-- the team is averaging 51.6 shots/game this year vs 45.9 shots/game last year.
All this clearly shows that, regardless of your contempt for the style, this team, in this system, has averaged 6 more scoring opportunities this year over last year. For those paying attention at home, that's opportunities for 12 - 18 more points per game, which, if successfully executed puts the team average at 73 - 79 ppg. (By the way, that would be in the top 3 of the league.)

Here are a few other this year / last year stats to consider:
-- Rebounding: 32.7 vs 29
(Hawks opponents are at 32.5 vs 29.5. Be it ever so slightly, Hawks are back to out-rebounding opponents.)
-- Assists: 12.8 vs 11.7
(Payne is #10 in apg in the BigXI, at 3.6; Gatens is #12, at 3.5).
-- TO's: 14.1 vs 12.5
(There's that youth -- Payne is #3 in the BigXI, at 3.2 -- and underachievement -- Gatens is #4, at 2.9. Still, your league leader in turnovers is ... Evan Turner, at 3.7 per game.)

I said I was fearful of going into a diatribe. If you made it this far, sorry, but, sometimes ya gotta spell it all out.

I don't care to challenge anyone's preferred style of bball but I do care to set the facts straight and separate the truth from the opinion. I'd suggest to those still struggling with their myopia regarding Iowa bball, don't be ashamed to enjoy / be a fan of those coaches / programs that satisfy what you're looking for. Please, at least check yourselves enough to accept that that your dissatisfaction is more a "your expectation and / or preference" issue rather than an Iowa bball issue.

To me its as simple as going inside more, that opens up the 3 and also gives us a better position for an offensive rebound.

To me its as simple as going inside more, that opens up the 3 and also gives us a better position for an offensive rebound.

And that's something that we are doing more of here in the last 3 weeks or so. And the improvement gained from it is showing in the team's performance, if not the win column. But as STILLBUSTER said quite thoroughly, that will come with better execution, which comes from more experience.

Still, you must have been thinking of starting such a thread for quite a while! :) Thanks for the thoughtful response. A couple of comments, primarily related to personnel.

First, to many people your assumption that issues with Lick or his style of play contributed to the two biggest transfers lost will be controversial. But if you accept that as true, and throw in Tony Freeman to boot, you have a very big reason why anyone is still asking questions about Lick, and that rests on his doorstep.

Second, and somewhat related to the first, the makeup of this team is Lick's responsibility. To the extent we lack depth and talent, that's on him. The fact that we have only one legitimate guard, and he's a freshman, is incredible. A staff with any kind of recruiting network needs to be able to go out and find another guard, even on short notice.

Finally, I agree that generally execution improves with experience. But that's not a universal truth. Gatens is more experienced this year than he was last, and his execution has regressed. The execution of this team needs to improve substantially by next season. That, player retention, and contribution from the newcomers are the keys to not needing to ask the same question next year of whether and how they've improved. The answer should be self-evident at this time next season. If it isn't, there's trouble in River City.

Also, I wish this season would be the last I'd hear of the "we're a young team" excuse for a long time, but I know better. It happens to be relatively accurate this year, for this team--but it can almost always be trotted out as an excuse for making the same old mistakes, for any college basketball team--because almost all of them have to rely on freshmen and sophomores to some extent. Heck even you go to the extent of explaining how our junior is really more like a sophomore. Next year he'll be a senior, but more like a junior. To me, the issue with him and others isn't experience, it's the inherent limitations of his game.

In any event I appreciate your POV, and enjoy hearing those of others in the string.

Last edited:
Stillbuster-are you a novelist by trade? Just kidding, very good analysis of the bright aspects to a disappointing season. Lots of good things going on, we just need more of everything, and more bodies next fall. It's comin.........

There is some improvement that I have noticed. The thing is that the improvement is inconsistent. Take spacing and ball movement for example. There are times when we do a good job of this. And you're able to see the possibility of an inside-out game. Unfortunately, we tend to fall back into the habit of clumping together and simply throwing the ball around the perimeter. This is usually the result of the opposing defense turning up the pressure and manning up 25 ft from the basket. So while there can be signs of improvement on this front, I don't consider it such until they are able to do it consistently.

Probably the most noticable improvement to me has been our defensive rebounding. I think we have been blocking out much better. I have been especially impressed with Cully in this aspect. For his size, he does a good job at getting good position under the basket.

My problem is that we have seen signs of improvement in past years as well. Of course, last years improvement was basically due to Jake. The year before Cy and our ability to feed him seemed to improve. That dissolved. Partly because of his injury and partly because we stopped feeding him the rock.

So that is why I am skeptical about the little improvement I have seen. We have played this game before.

I don't really know if we have gotten that much better. I think fuller just got healthy. I have been very disappointed by the D. I know we are doing a decent job of lower scores but i have a feeling that is more because our Offense then the D. Kind of like the superbowl yesterday. The saints had the ball a lot so there D didn't let the colts score. But i really hate how we switch the ball screens. It has killed us all year. I want the hard hedge or even a trap of the ball handler and then scramble from there. I think since we are slower footed on D as a whole we need to do a better job of getting in the lanes and making the court smaller. I think each guy is to stuck on his own man and not worried about being in the right spacing compared to the man with the ball.
On the "O" side we just don't have the overall talent. i feel like the players that were here last year didn't get any better in the offseason besides fuller. Gatens is a good overall talent but he isn't the i will put you on my back and take over. I feel like he has regressed. I thought over the summer his ball handling and maybe a 15 foot pull up jumper would be something he would work on and it doesn't seem to have improved. Cole is the hardest worker and has strength. He has no basketball skill really. There are times when he does get it in the post where if he would do a nice drop set and developed a simple little hook that he would be able to score. I love how hard he works but he really doesn't have the skill set and he is undersized. DB has gotten worse. I thought with an offseason he could work on his ball handling so he could take more than 2 dribbles but he hasn't got better. Fuller is the only sign of improvement that i have seen. he put on about 10-15 lbs of muscle and got better.

This is a huge summer to see if the coaches can make these players better. if may can work on his ball handling, 3 ball, and a 15 footer than he is going to be great.

Gatens: 15 foot jumper and ball handling

Fuller: 3 ball

cole: post moves and a little hook shot

Payne: 15 footer, finishing at the rim, strength

Coug: he needs to lose some baby fat, muscle, post moves

tucker: 15 footers, ballhandling

i know i have a lot of 15 footers but if we are going to live and die by the 3 then i think the players need to develop that so when someone comes at them hard they can pump fake and take 2-3 dribbles and pull up.

Great thread Freddy.

I'm not sure if this falls under the category spacing, but we seem to do a lot of "hand-offs".
It seems that frequently our guy picks up the dribble, then can't get a pss off, so someone has to come to him for the hand-off. By then the shot clock is running down so a shot has to be made, and we end up with two defenders on the ball.

I'm not sure if the stats are showing this, but overall I've felt like our rebounding has been improved.

I still can't stand the scoring droughts. It would be nice to put up 6 points in the first 2 minutes of the game. I'm amazed how often it takes us longer than two minutes into the game before we get any points on the board.

Is it still reasonable to expect Iowa to win all of their remaining home games? For me that would be a sign of improvement.

Glad you started a thread like this, Freddy. I was going to start something related but didn't want it to descend into a chastising diatribe against the myopians, (oops, there's that chastising tendency, again). I mean I wanted it to offer a realistic perspective / assessment of where the team is at and where they are going.

First, if you cannot overcome being compelled to constantly whine about "the system", cannot get past the "this is year 3" griping and just don't like the Lickliters (as evidenced by the personal attacks by many) then read no further. This isn't for you. If you're capable of viewing this from the big open pit that was Iowa bball, waiting to be filled with the key building blocks, then read on.

Going into this season, rational expectations were as follows:
#1) Progress toward competitive basketball.
Check. Anyone paying attention througout the BigXI season can clearly see this is happening. Far more athleticly and physically gifted Iowa teams have been run off the floor at MSU and OSU. With the exception of Michigan, Iowa has been in positions to win every single game over the last several weeks.

#2) Play like champions. Play with pride for yourself, your coach and for your university.
Check. See #1. This team keeps playing as if it is going to win. It plays with heart and effort. Of course, these characteristics alone are not going to win you many games but in the context of building the program, these are crucial to the foundation of future success.

#2a) Absolutely no attrition due "personal" reasons. (Sorry Tyler, sorry Jake. Really, sorry for your situations and losses. Bottom line, your decisions had as much to do with a dislike for TL / his style, little loyalty to the U of Iowa and your own personal betterment as it did with any pressing family situation. Not begrudging you for making a choice but, at best, the situations made your departure easier to "explain" but let's not sugar coat it with the emotional "high road".)
This has yet to be graded. Hopefully, the rumors of Payne leaving are hooey. However, if there's more "unnatural" attrition pointing to even the suspicion of a personality clash with TL, then he must be let go, immediately.

#3) Begin to see some semblence of continuity on offense.
Check. This is about as in depth as I'm going with X's + O's. Again, if you're paying attention, you are beginning to see that any system can have success with the right personnel and competent execution of some of the most basic fundamentals of the game. (Sound familiar Hawkeye football fans?)
-- Spacing, positioning and timing are all greatly improved:
I.E. (to the chagrin of many) that archaic on-ball pick / roll is resulting in some nice set-ins for Cole (execution and timing of the pass);
-- The inside game, while still a work in progress, is utilized more and more and the inside-out game is getting some great looks for the 3.

So far, so good in the "checklist" department of reasonable expectations. IMEO, the encouraging perspective sees the obvious: much less "systematic" / "coaching" concerns and far more "execution" concerns.

Let's break that down to context.
1) Youth and Experience.
Right now, here's my all around (skills, athleticism, productivity) ranking of the players: Fuller, May, Gatens, Payne, Cole, Cougill, Tucker, Lickliter, Brommer, Bawinkel.
Your 8 man rotation = 3 true frosh, 3 true soph (one has yet to play a BigXI game), a true junior (with the experience = rs soph due to injury), a senior (who's yet to demonstrate the consistent ability to fulfill the one dimension he might possess and who's a liability in every other aspect of the game.)
As far as individuals go ...

Fuller is cementing himself as a solid BigXI player at the 4. He still has great upside in developing his all around game and his confidence and controlled aggressiveness will continue to grow.

May is an athletic freak that will cover for him when his skills aren't on. You want to coach it and direct it as much as you can but, mostly, you just want to let that horse run and ride him when he's hot. You don't have a Naismith finalist personally pull you aside to give you props and encourage you to develop your skills to become a star if you ain't got the goods.

Payne is going to be a very good BigXI pg. He already possesses a Scott Skiles / Drew Neitzel type of mental toughness and confidence you need at his position. I never like true frosh pg's being forced into such extensive action because they tend to retain the habits that worked when they were high school studs but just don't at this level (drive / jump-pass, anyone?). He's shown flashes of what he can do when he attacks, and flashes of being a true frosh with his passes into the 12th row. Everything he does wrong is fixable with court savvy that will come with experience not only against this level of competition but with his teammates.

Gaten's is struggling. Unfortunately, thanks to Tucker being on extended spring break each January, he is your go-to outside shooter and he's just not hitting. I don't know if it's the dreaded "sophomore slump", whether he's trying to do too much, whether he's athletically overmatched or just frustrated. The bottom line is he's really underachieving at crucial times when he's needed the most.

Cole, bless his heart (he's got a lot of it), is a round peg in a square hole. He's got the skills for an inside game but he's just physically overmatched, giving up 3 - 5 inches every game. His success is going to come from hard work, positioning, timing (those 3 make up 90% of rebounding) and execution. Frankly, he's struggled with that last one -- too many times on offense he's losing his position advantage, if not turning it over, fumbling around with the ball.

Cougill is a wide-body, space-eater that the Hawks desparately need. Unfortunately, he's soft and green -- not in a deragatory way but in a baby-fat, true-frosh tentative, gotta tell the big guy to mix it up sort of way. I like what he brings to the table but it's a matter of time, experience, conditioning and mind-set from what I've seen. (None of which are out of the ordinary for true frosh, by the way.) Here's where maybe Archie's injury has exposed this deficit -- not so much in that Archie was expected to be an all BigXI center but having more size would go a long way toward keeping things honest.

All-in-all, while you've got a very good nucleus of talent, skills and athleticism, you have a pretty healthy deficit of experience, depth and positional size. Unfortunately, those are the things you can't coach. You can't keep blaming TL for what he can't control. (Yes, he's responsible for recruiting to his needs but Tucker's out because of his own immaturity / inability to handle his booze and Archie is injured. That's 25% of what would have been your 8-man rotation.)

2) Back to "Execution".
In the traditional Iowa way, historical success is almost always the result of out-working and out-executing the more talented opponent. While I think this team is succeeding at the out-working / effort side of the ledger, they are struggling with the execution.

I offered examples in the individual breakdowns, above. While there are plenty of "mind-fart" examples from the (relative) veterans, for the most part the struggles fall under the universally accepted concept that youth and inexperience = inconsistent execution.

As I mentioned above, there's more evidence that the lack of W's is less "coaching / system" related and more "execution" related. The biggest example is the poor shooting. It isn't because of a lack of open looks, it's because of a failure to finish.
-- Gatens and Bawinkel are shooting 36.5% and 36.8% compared to 42.2% and 36.1% last year; Gatens 3-point shooting is 34.4% vs 40.3% last year.
-- the team is shooting 41.4% vs 44.2% last year; from 3, it's 32.4% vs 36.4% last year.
-- the team is averaging 51.6 shots/game this year vs 45.9 shots/game last year.
All this clearly shows that, regardless of your contempt for the style, this team, in this system, has averaged 6 more scoring opportunities this year over last year. For those paying attention at home, that's opportunities for 12 - 18 more points per game, which, if successfully executed puts the team average at 73 - 79 ppg. (By the way, that would be in the top 3 of the league.)

Here are a few other this year / last year stats to consider:
-- Rebounding: 32.7 vs 29
(Hawks opponents are at 32.5 vs 29.5. Be it ever so slightly, Hawks are back to out-rebounding opponents.)
-- Assists: 12.8 vs 11.7
(Payne is #10 in apg in the BigXI, at 3.6; Gatens is #12, at 3.5).
-- TO's: 14.1 vs 12.5
(There's that youth -- Payne is #3 in the BigXI, at 3.2 -- and underachievement -- Gatens is #4, at 2.9. Still, your league leader in turnovers is ... Evan Turner, at 3.7 per game.)

I said I was fearful of going into a diatribe. If you made it this far, sorry, but, sometimes ya gotta spell it all out.

I don't care to challenge anyone's preferred style of bball but I do care to set the facts straight and separate the truth from the opinion. I'd suggest to those still struggling with their myopia regarding Iowa bball, don't be ashamed to enjoy / be a fan of those coaches / programs that satisfy what you're looking for. Please, at least check yourselves enough to accept that that your dissatisfaction is more a "your expectation and / or preference" issue rather than an Iowa bball issue.

Don't be, you hit that one out of the park.

There had to be improvement. We were getting our heads handed to us. But we are a long ways away yet from a middle of the pack Big 10 team.

Now the tough part comes...not losing all the close games and just beating lower division teams. We need to start winning games, defeating upper division teams, establishing a home court advantage, and winning road games. And IMO we have to start winning games, not by just easing our preseason schedule--anyone can do that.

I judge our improvement on how we do in Big 10 play and how we place in the conference standings. That is the true judge of improvement IMO. If we water down the preseason schedule to improve our overall record but don't do much better in the conference then what have we really done?

Next year we need to establish a home court advantage by winning most of games at home--even against the upper division teams. Winning on the road for this team will still be difficult but at a minimum this team needs to begin winning at home and not just against lower division teams. We need to win at least 5 or 6 games at home next year to show improvement--at least.

Actually Stillbuster--- the optimists had Iowa doing well this year and surprising all the negative nelly's.

It wasn't as you list at all. It wasn't until this team fell flat on its face did the optimists start saying that Iowa fans shouldn't expect anything from this year's team...that the team was young...that we should just sit back and enjoy them...blah, blah, blah all the other excuses we have heard all year long.

It was just the opposite from the optimists telling the negative nelly's as we were called among other things when we said that this year's team was not going to be very good. And when the team wasn't very good, THAT is when people like you suddenly started with your list... and just said we were negative, when we tried to tell people like you at the beginning of the year they weren't going to be any good and YOU wouldn't listen.

Now you make it sound like YOU were trying to tell US that you were saying from the get go that Iowa wouldn't be good and that isn't so at all. It wasn't until Iowa fell flat on its face out of the gate and got worse that suddenly people like you try to tell us that you were saying it all along and that simply is not true.

Latest posts