IMO

CAARHawk

Banned
Iowa has one of the 3 toughest remaining schedules of any of the teams we need to pass.

Bama's route will be tough, OSU's is not entirely a cakewalk obviously. But beyond that we will need the unexpected to occur.

I think you are thinking too much about this.

We do not control our own BCS destiny. We need Wisconsin or Michigan State to lose.

If we win out and:
• Wisconsin loses: Hawks go to the Rose Bowl
• Michigan State loses: Hawks pass MSU and are in great position for BCS at large
• Wisconsin and Michigan State also win out. Michigan State goes to Rose Bowl and we fight Wisconsin for an at large birth in the BCS which we lose.

Iowa has one of the 3 toughest remaining schedules of any of the teams we need to pass.

Bama's route will be tough, OSU's is not entirely a cakewalk obviously. But beyond that we will need the unexpected to occur.

All Iowa needs is to obviously win out first, but then only a loss by either MSU or Wisconsin and Iowa will likely be in a BCS game.

I don't know why people are making this more complicated then it needs to be. A loss by Wisconsin and Iowa goes to the Rose Bowl, a loss by MSU and Iowa is in great position to get an at large bid for a BCS because they will be in the top 10 if they win out.

I don't think it is complicated. Just looking at the schedules of all the teams in front of Iowa. While it has been clear in previous weeks which teams ahead of the Hawks would likely lose. That now changes to a large extent.

It looks like it comes down to OSU vs OU, and the B12 Championship.

Wisky and UM?

MSU and PSU

Bama and Auburn.

But we can't send more than 2 teams to the BCS. So Wisconsin or MSU HAVE to lose for the Hawks to go to the BCS.

But we can't send more than 2 teams to the BCS. So Wisconsin or MSU HAVE to lose for the Hawks to go to the BCS.

Guess I am not as solely focused on BCS as everyone else. But, even if we get the opening in our own conference the odds go up the higher you get in the polls.

We are 13 in the BCS. Every team in front of us is a desirable BCS team, with the possible exception of OSUSW. But if they win out and beat Nebby in the B10 title game, we are up against Nebby.

Seriously people, it goes beyond the B10.

Last edited:
OK Let's say we win out and Wisconsin wins out and MSU loses so we are eligable for the at large but not the Rose.

Here would be my guesses:

NT Game: Oregon vs. TCU
Rose: Boise St. vs. Wisconsin
Sugar: Auburn vs. At Large
Orange: Virginia Tech vs. Pittsburgh
Fiesta: Nebraska vs. At Large

So you have two at large spots available. Pac 10 isn't going to get 2, nor will the Big 12 unless Nebby loses. ACC and Big East are a joke, so the SEC and Big 10 get 2 each. Iowa goes to the Sugar and LSU goes to the desert.

If Nebby loses in the championship game, than it comes down to the Big Ten vs the SEC.

The wild card would be if the Rose Bowl then decides they want to have a non automatic qualifier in another year.

If we win out I can handle whatever comes our way. We are going to pay for two missed extra points though. With the Rose on the line for the last game I have a hard time believing MSU will lose. This is college football and anything can happen thats why we just need to take care of business and the rest will fall into place.

Guess I am not as solely focused on BCS as everyone else. But, even if we get the opening in our own conference the odds go up the higher you get in the polls.

We are 13 in the BCS. Every team in front of us is a desirable BCS team, with the possible exception of OSUSW. But if they win out and beat Nebby in the B10 title game, we are up against Nebby.

Seriously people, it goes beyond the B10.

It doesn't really go beyond the Big Ten for Iowa, if MSU and Wisconsin both win out Iowa has no shot at a BCS game. But lets just say MSU does lose 1 more and Iowa beating OSU gives them another loss and say Oklahoma St does win the Big 12, I think Iowa jumps Nebraska as well if they lose the Big 12 title game. And say Oregon and Auburn play for the title and LSU is the SEC runner-up:

So Automatic bids
NC: Oregon v. Auburn
Rose: Wisconsin v. TCU
Orange: Virginia Tech v.
Fiesta: Oklahoma St v. whoever wins the Big East.
Sugar: LSU v.

That leaves 2 spots:

Someone to play in the Sugar and Orange

Your final top 14 would be something like this (Bolded teams already in BCS Bowl)
1. Oregon
2. Auburn
3. TCU
4. Boise St
5. LSU
6. Stanford
7. Wisconsin
8. Oklahoma St
9. Iowa
10. Nebraska
11. Utah
12. Oklahoma
13. Missouri
14. Virginia Tech

I don't see the Orange or Sugar taking Stanford so their gone. Only one of Nebraska/Oklahoma/Missouri can go. Utah isn't going to either one either so their gone.

So now you are left with this:
1. Boise St
2. Iowa
3. Choice of Nebraska/Oklahoma/Missouri

So Iowa gets left out by the Orange taking a Big 12 team and the Sugar taking Boise or vice versa, but I think the Orange would love to get Nebraska or Oklahoma from their Big 8 days and the Sugar would take Iowa and Boise is left out.

OK Let's say we win out and Wisconsin wins out and MSU loses so we are eligable for the at large but not the Rose.

Here would be my guesses:

NT Game: Oregon vs. TCU
Rose: Boise St. vs. Wisconsin
Sugar: Auburn vs. At Large
Orange: Virginia Tech vs. Pittsburgh
Fiesta: Nebraska vs. At Large

So you have two at large spots available. Pac 10 isn't going to get 2, nor will the Big 12 unless Nebby loses. ACC and Big East are a joke, so the SEC and Big 10 get 2 each. Iowa goes to the Sugar and LSU goes to the desert.

If Nebby loses in the championship game, than it comes down to the Big Ten vs the SEC.

The wild card would be if the Rose Bowl then decides they want to have a non automatic qualifier in another year.

Again Bruce, if a non AQ school is in the NC the Rose Bowl has no obligation to take a non AQ school. The clause is in the contract for the next 3 years. It doesn't matter if they take a non AQ school or not from year to year. They only have to take one if they lose the Big Ten or PAC 10 champ to the NC and need a replacement and that non AQ school isn't in the NC. So if the Rose Bowl doesn't lose a team to the NC after this stupid clause is up it means no non AQ school will have played in the Rose Bowl. They are not contractually obligated to take a non AQ school when the Big Ten and PAC 10 champ are available to them.

From what I understand - the Rose Bowl is exempt FOR THAT YEAR in taking the non automatic qualifyer, but it would still be there turn THE NEXT YEAR to take that team.

In other words, they would simply be delaying the inevitable.

From what I understand - the Rose Bowl is exempt FOR THAT YEAR in taking the non automatic qualifyer, but it would still be there turn THE NEXT YEAR to take that team.

I think hawkeyescott's interpretation is correct. This clause could expire having never placed a non-AQ school in the Rose Bowl.

Seriously what is so hard to understand about this? So next year if the Big Ten AND PAC 10 champ AREN'T in the NC then which conference doesn't send their champion to the Rose Bowl? Or the year after, or the year after that?

The Big Ten and PAC 10 champion will ALWAYS go to the Rose Bowl, the ONLY TIME A NON AQ SCHOOL WILL PLAY IN THE ROSE BOWL IS WHEN THE BIG TEN OR PAC 10 CHAMP GOES TO THE NC.

Latest posts