I'm tired of this brand of football

DBAHawkFan

Let's get this out of the way first:

"Don't watch!!"
"You're not a true Hawk fan!!"
"Go support team X!!"

The first one is a valid point. I don't watch as closely as I did beginning of the year. I tape the games if I'm out, but now just join it in progress because I know I didn't miss anything. Today I missed a FG when I began watching the second half.

I'm just so tired of this brand of football. Why does every game have to be so ugly? Can anyone honestly say Iowa football is enjoyable to watch? I want them to win every game, but know it's unlikely. I can handle losses better if we came out with fire, moved the ball, and gave our best effort.

Today's game, like Rutgers earlier this year, and countless games in the past felt like NEITHER team deserved to win.

You look around other schools and they play fast, score points, and still keep the fundamentals and develop players like Iowa. We aren't the only program in the nation that develops players or has lack of depth. But I feel like we are the only program who openly states that we are "We're just Iowa"

This season feels like 2013/2014 all over again. We have some pieces on both sides of the ball to be a productive team, instead we are lost on offense and literally no direction from the top down.

I believe the coaches want to win. I just don't agree with how they go about doing it. We just run plays to run them. We don't scheme against what other teams are doing or their weaknesses. We just do what we do.

Ugh. Feel like I could rant forever about this program.

We got the win, and the kids deserve it. They bust their a$$. But the coaches don't do them any favors.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

TL: DR

I like the pro style offense if that's what brand means.

I don't like playstation offense with no defense.

I'm happy. We won.

Reactions: Eda
Maybe when Brian signs a 20 year contract for $130 million, he'll change it up a little. Something to look forward to. Go Barta!

winning trumps everything. I am entertained by winning. which means 35-13 when you are a double digit favorite ain't good enough.

There is nothing pro about this offense
Well. It is college after all.

There is nothing pro about spread, pistol, shotgun brands. That's why the pros don't brand themselves.

They are nice gimmick or niche brands and usually for programs that have trouble recruiting 85. Even nicer for warm weather schools.

winning trumps everything. I am entertained by winning. which means 35-13 when you are a double digit favorite ain't good enough.
This. Probably more Importantly very average record vs. ISU - NW - B1G lessers.

Fry turned the BiG2+8 nearly into the BiG3. With the expansion to 11 and 12, would anyone put Iowa in the top 4 of the BiG?

With the addition of two bad programs to 14 the last couple of seasons would Iowa be in the top 5?

One word.... RECRUITING.. Ours sucks. No speed, no talent, no playmakers all adds up to what we see. Add to that the most clueless coaching staff in football. Great combination. I don't know who looked more clueless today; Kirk, or that whale of a Minnesota coach.

TL: DR

I like the pro style offense if that's what brand means.

I don't like playstation offense with no defense.

I'm happy. We won.

It'd give me a coronary, but I'll take 7 more boring wins this year.

If we had been just a touch better on offense when inside their 30, I'd feel a lot better. Iowa moved the ball pretty well, but bogged down 3 times inside their 30, twice inside the 20. And still too many turnovers, drops, and bad playcalling in the redzone.

It'd give me a coronary, but I'll take 7 more boring wins this year.

If we had been just a touch better on offense when inside their 30, I'd feel a lot better. Iowa moved the ball pretty well, but bogged down 3 times inside their 30, twice inside the 20. And still too many turnovers, drops, and bad playcalling in the redzone.
Agree. 7 ugly wins > losing with a sexy offense (Big XII-2 I'm looking at you).

Surprisingly, I wasn't having a coronary today at all. Defense was very good. Didn't think Minny would do it. 3 great catches by Minny gave them a chance but then ... Leidner didn't play above his accuracy today.

Maybe you should try watching and getting into the game rather than casually paying attention and tuning in late. Just a thought.

I watched the game today (as I do every week), and rode an emotional roller coaster.

I like the brand but just feel like we aren't that efficient at it (on offense). I do feel the OL played better today. CJ had more time on average. The D looked much better and Minnie wasn't able to run all over us like everyone expected.

I just wish they would snap the ball faster on offense and take more chances on defense. Get more plays and more possessions.

Caddy - Please don't steal my theme.....RECRUITING!!! You are soooo right buddy!

BTW, the turnout at our Hawkeye Watch here in Dallas today was the worst I've seen it in years...even worse than any game in 2014....I was shocked how many regulars stayed home...I actually heard a couple of older folks voice displeasure with Ferments which actually kind of surprised me.

Last edited:
I like the brand but just feel like we aren't that efficient at it (on offense). I do feel the OL played better today. CJ had more time on average. The D looked much better and Minnie wasn't able to run all over us like everyone expected.

So the OL played better and yet we scored ONE TD.

We are six games in and we struggle this much? With an All Big QB, two very good RB. And our scoring average in conference play is 19ppg. We have played three of the worst defenses in the league.

We threw 3 balls over 20 yards. None were completed.

We throw 95% of our passes <10 yards and outside the hashes.

Its just so not a good match with KF running scheme

-------We throw 95% of our passes <10 yards and outside the hashes.

You notice this too? It is pathetic how stationary this offense is....but what do you expect with 5.5 40 speed burners with glass hands at receiver....oh, and that can't separate. Nice recruiting Ferments.

Latest posts