I'm starting to sense a turn in national sentiment

Iowa won't get the respect it deserves because any way you look at it, every year how many of us hear "The Big Ten is down, all they are is slow farm boys and the only two teams that ever get recognition is Michigan and Ohio State"

Let's face it, The SEC is the number one conference in America, but if Iowa can pull this off and run the table, they might start to think about the Big Ten as really a national power conference. This is my hope anyway.

The UNI game was the catapult to this entire season. What would have happened had we not gotten that FG block twice?

I believe you have to have a little bit of luck to go with the skill of the game.

I blame UNI for Iowa being the lowest ranked undefeated team. It's very possible we would be ranked 1-3 spots higher right now if not for the 1-point win over UNI to start the year. We came into that game ranked and fell out of the rankings for 2-3 weeks following the close win. If Iowa blows UNI away like is expected they move up a few spots each week thereafter. The PSU game would have been billed as a 'clash of titans' rather than just a 'revenge' game and the winner would have been guaranteed top-10 status that week. Then 3 weeks/wins later (ArkSt,UM,UW) we would have had a shot of moving up to be even higher than we are now.

Right now, I think if Texas loses a game and Iowa runs the table we are in the NC game against the SEC champ. If Texas goes undefeated but looks weak in a few games and Iowa can blow away OSU at the Shoe I think there is a slim chance we go over Texas, but very slim.

Very good point. Here is how I would estimate we would currently stand had we stayed ranked after UNI:

(I'm using the AP poll since the coaches continue to lose credibility with each passing week)

Preseason: 22 (Actual weekly rank in parentheses)

Week 1: 21 (UR). We move ahead after a Georgia loss, but nobody else close to us in the polls loses.

Week 2: 21 (UR). We win big, but we get jumped by Miami after they beat then 16th ranked FSU and also by Nebraska (even though this doesn't make any sense, they are ahead of Miami, and I still don't see us moving ahead of them after beating ISU)

Week 3: 16 (UR). We finally make a big move up, with our AZ win getting more recognition as we are ranked at the time and several teams ahead of us losing, most notably Nebraska, BYU, Ok St, Utah, and Georgia Tech.

Week 4: 10 (13). We stay ahead of Houston, and jump TCU, Cincy, and due to losses, we move ahead of Ole Miss, Cal and (obviously) PSU.

Week 5: 10 (12). We win a game that isn't as close as the media thinks and get jumped by Cincy (just like OSU did that week), but also move ahead of 2 loss Oklahoma to hold our rank.

Week 6: 8 (11). With another major win, we jump Cincy again, since many voters were split on that one and they had the week off, and with the LSU loss, we also move ahead of them.

Week 7: 4 (6). We jumped from 11 to 6 in the real polls, so its not unreasonable to think that had we been at 8 and already ahead of Cincy, we would move ahead of Boise as well and the OSU and VT losses propel us up to 4th and we debut at 3rd in the BCS rankings AHEAD of Texas, due to us being only 1 spot behind in each of the human polls and 3 spots ahead in the computers, which have us ranked where we should have been all along.

In that scenario we would be looking like a lock for a title shot if we win out. Maybe we would still be behind Texas or they would jump us if they also win out, but still fun to think about.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for many from the national media to clamour for Iowa to be in the NC game. If Iowa ran the table and got into the game the story line would be about the next Big Ten sacrifical lamb and how one-loss USC or Texas or Fla/Ala is more deserving.

From my point of view, I am not expecting them to give Iowa credit and refuse to be upset that they don't.

If Iowa keeps on winning you will see the national media flip flop all over the place. We will have so many champions of our cause and so much disrespect from the other side. It is all about ratings and BCS controversy sells.

By the way read on TOS today that Florida's SOS is 8th in the country, Iowa's in 9th and Alabama's is 43rd, Texas is 37th (I think). If the NC game were to be played this week although it wouldn't be Iowa in it, there would be no justification for it not to be.

edbob21-

Nice rundown of the hypothetical. The only part that I might disagree with is week 5. I don't think Cincinatti moves ahead of us after the ArkSt close call if we had blown away UNI. That would be written off as a classic trap game, nothing more. The reason it hurt us this year (in reality) is because it was a reminder of the UNI close shave.
And it could also be said that if Iowa had dominated ArkSt by 30pts people would no longer even think about the 1 point UNI game to start the year, discounting it as a rivalry game Iowa needed to shake off the off season rust. The story would be more about 'undefeated Iowa on a roll' rather than 'undefeated Iowa: just good, or great?'.

edbob21-

Nice rundown of the hypothetical. The only part that I might disagree with is week 5. I don't think Cincinatti moves ahead of us after the ArkSt close call if we had blown away UNI. That would be written off as a classic trap game, nothing more. The reason it hurt us this year (in reality) is because it was a reminder of the UNI close shave.
And it could also be said that if Iowa had dominated ArkSt by 30pts people would no longer even think about the 1 point UNI game to start the year, discounting it as a rivalry game Iowa needed to shake off the off season rust. The story would be more about 'undefeated Iowa on a roll' rather than 'undefeated Iowa: just good, or great?'.

I agree with everything you said, and I don't necessarily think Cincy should jump us there either, but I don't really see how they jumped OSU in that week's poll either given that Cincy beat Miami (OH) that week and OSU beat Indiana by a wider margin, so I just left us behind OSU and thus, behind Cincy.

Also, I agree that if we win big at EITHER UNI or Ark. St. we stop hearing about both and the media acknowledges us as a legitimate contender. I would look for this perception to change as the offense matures and we start hanging up more points against Indiana and NW, assuming we make it out of E. Lansing, of course. I think we win both by a good margin (though NW is always closer than it should be) and the media FINALLY gets the picture.

I agree that IF we get past MSU the schedule is manageable. One game at a time and the BCS will work itself out *maybe*

As for the national media:
"Me, I'm for wasting sportswriters' time. So I figured we ought to hang around for a while and see if we can give 'em all a nice big sh*tburger to eat! " - Lou Brown

Latest posts