Illinois 4 game stretch- Feb 9-20

TalkHawk

Anyone suggesting this team will not make the dance can get out there favorite condiment and eat crow now.

This 4 game stretch for them is one of the toughest I think you could argue in college basketball this season.

#5 Michigan State- WIN

AT #16 Wisconsin

#18 Ohio State

AT #7 Purdue

overall- 6 of the next 8 games against top 20 teams. What a stretch. Grow up as basketball players real fast in that stretch.

That was huge for them to pull off the win today.

They go 4-3 somehow in this next stretch, that would be pretty good.

Anyone suggesting this team will not make the dance can get out there favorite condiment and eat crow now.

This 4 game stretch for them is one of the toughest I think you could argue in college basketball this season.

#5 Michigan State- WIN

AT #16 Wisconsin

#18 Ohio State

AT #7 Purdue

overall- 6 of the next 8 games against top 20 teams. What a stretch. Grow up as basketball players real fast in that stretch.

That was huge for them to pull off the win today.

They go 4-3 somehow in this next stretch, that would be pretty good.

Saved for posterity if the Illini lose their next 3. You do remember that Lucas was out for MSU tonight, right?

Saved for posterity if the Illini lose their next 3. You do remember that Lucas was out for MSU tonight, right?

Yea.

Michigan State is arguably the deepest team in the league. It's Michigan State. Big win regardless.

Who played more minutes because of the Lucas injury? Lucious? Obviously not the score Lucas is, but better A/To ratio. Same amount of assists per game basically.
that good and that deep of a team - still a big win.
Not like beating Purdue without Moore, Hummel, or Johnson IMO.

Looking objectively, I have seen an Illinois team grow up right in front of my eyes. They have a go to player(McCamey), the freshman Paul and Richardson are figuring things out and improving, they have a unique player in Tisdale, Davis is inconsistent but provides some decent minutes and has a nice 15 foot jumpshot, and they even have some good role players like Jordan.

They will most definitely be dancing in my opinion. May be a tough out in the tourney as well.

Yea.

Michigan State is arguably the deepest team in the league. It's Michigan State. Big win regardless.

Who played more minutes because of the Lucas injury? Lucious? Obviously not the score Lucas is, but better A/To ratio. Same amount of assists per game basically.
that good and that deep of a team - still a big win.
Not like beating Purdue without Moore, Hummel, or Johnson IMO.

No kidding, who cares if Lucas is out. It is still a win over a very good MSU team. Wish Iowa would get a win over a team even half as good as Sparty.

Yes, McCamey has basically saved their bacon this past couple of weeks. He hit the game-winner vs IU,and hit a bunch of game-winners in the MSU game,most notably that pull up three pointer late.
He is obviously a very clutch player,with a lot of good skills to be a late game go-to guy...really shooting the three well, has a strong drive with a good floater, and is strong enough to draw fouls. Now, fts might be his only weakness.

I continue to worry that Iowa does not have this go-to guy on the roster and doubt we have one in the pipeline. When Iowa does get more competitive, these close games will often come down to the last few possessions, and having a guy that can create a shot is imperative. Has to be a very strong ballhandler,good shooter,and an ability to get that shot off...who is it for Iowa?

Yes, McCamey has basically saved their bacon this past couple of weeks. He hit the game-winner vs IU,and hit a bunch of game-winners in the MSU game,most notably that pull up three pointer late.
He is obviously a very clutch player,with a lot of good skills to be a late game go-to guy...really shooting the three well, has a strong drive with a good floater, and is strong enough to draw fouls. Now, fts might be his only weakness.

I continue to worry that Iowa does not have this go-to guy on the roster and doubt we have one in the pipeline. When Iowa does get more competitive, these close games will often come down to the last few possessions, and having a guy that can create a shot is imperative. Has to be a very strong ballhandler,good shooter,and an ability to get that shot off...who is it for Iowa?

I hate to look backwards, but this is why losing Jake Kelly was so significant. He was the only guy who could create hs own shot off the bounce. I totally agree we have to recruit or somebody on the current roster will have to develop this part of their game if we are going to get over the hump and make it into the tourney in the next two years.

I hate to look backwards, but this is why losing Jake Kelly was so significant. He was the only guy who could create hs own shot off the bounce. I totally agree we have to recruit or somebody on the current roster will have to develop this part of their game if we are going to get over the hump and make it into the tourney in the next two years.
Any chance Marble is going to be that guy?

No kidding, who cares if Lucas is out. It is still a win over a very good MSU team. Wish Iowa would get a win over a team even half as good as Sparty.
Agreed it was a good win by Illinois, but Lucas is the defending Big 10 Player of the Year. I don't that can be dismissed with a 'who cares'. MSU actually played a walk-on backup PG (Mike Kebler) who usually runs the scout team. It happens to even the one of the most talented teams in the Big 10.

We will see how Illinois plays in the next 3 games, but they may be a toruney team with a good finish.

First home loss for Wiscy at home to an unranked big 10 opponent in 10 years.

10 stinking years.

2-0 in the current stretch.

I'm impressed. Not sure what it will take for the Illini to get their due.

It was a good win by the Illini tonight. They may be putting it together at the right time.

McCamey is in the zone for about the last 3 weeks...and he is carrying the illini to huge wins..I admit, I did not see them winning these last two. If McCamey keeps playing like he is,they will be a tough out in the BTT...but still, OSU and Purdue will take them out.

McCamey is in the zone for about the last 3 weeks...and he is carrying the illini to huge wins..I admit, I did not see them winning these last two. If McCamey keeps playing like he is,they will be a tough out in the BTT...but still, OSU and Purdue will take them out.
Nice call JHHawk, at least in the first half today. Ohio State is up 36-20 over the Illini @ Illinois at halftime. It's amazing how up and down teams can be in college basketball.

Latest posts